Intel Coffee Lake Review Thread

Mr_Troll

Intel Coffee Lake Reviews

Since the Coffee Lake NDA is lifted I will put here all  the reviews I found ... so that people can find the in one place.

Here are some takeaways:

Anandtech:

We finally have six-core processors on Intel’s mainstream platform, which has driven up the core counts (and frequencies) of the company's low and mid-range processors. For anyone looking at building a system in the last 6-12 months, they should be able to build an equivalent with the latest-generation processor for $50-$100 less. Or spend the same and get a few more cores to play with. The last time we had this situation was a decade ago, and hopefully it won’t take another decade to happen again.

Ars Technica:

For consumers after the best processor for gaming, and even some content creation tasks, the 8700K is a no-brainer, even with its proclivity for heat. But those with an eye on the wider CPU market and the revived competition between Intel and AMD should note that is very much a battle won, not a war.

PcPer : 

Overall, if you are building a new PC today, I think the Core i7-8700K or the Core i5-8400 (depending on your budget) make exceedingly excellent options. The single threaded performance advantages that Intel provides, as well as the potentially better gaming, give Intel continued leadership is many consumers' eyes. If you are a heavy multi-threaded user, doing video rendering or 3D modelling, Ryzen likely remains a better option in the enthusiast price range, though with 6-cores now available in the mainstream CPU family, the Intel is closer and more competitive than it has been since March.

Hardware Canucks:

As for the whole Intel versus AMD question, it looks like Coffee Lake has convincingly won this round. Granted, Intel may still take some well-deserved lumps for not offering unlocked multipliers on their entire lineup but that’s a minor issue for a niche market rather than a fundamental problem. Because when the numbers are calculated, there’s absolutely no doubt that right now the i7-8700K and i5-8400 are the value leaders in their respective segments.

Here are all the written reviews so far:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11859/the-anandtech-coffee-lake-review-8700k-and-8400-initial-numbers

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-review/

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8363/intel-core-i7-8700k-i5-8400-coffee-lake-cpu-review/index.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-cpu,5252.html

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-coffee-lake-core-i7-8700k-review

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Coffee-Lake-Story-Intel-Core-i7-8700K-and-Core-i5-8400-Review

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-8700k-review-8th-gen-coffee-lake-takes-on-amd-ryzen

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/intel_coffee_lake_i7_8700k_review/1

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/110336-intel-core-i7-8700k-core-i5-8400-14nm-coffee-lake/

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-core-i5-8400-processor-review-coffee-lake_198473

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/257006-intels-core-i7-8700k-reviewed-six-core-chip-punches-far-weight-class

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/76162-intel-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-i5-8400-review.html

Plus some youtube videos: ... those better longer ones:

OC3D

Gamers Nexus

Hardware Unboxed

Digital Foundry :

Overall looks like a solid procesor .. for gaming especially.

Source:  https://www.anandtech.com/show/11859/the-anandtech-coffee-lake-review-8700k-and-8400-initial-numbers

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-review/

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Coffee-Lake-Story-Intel-Core-i7-8700K-and-Core-i5-8400-Review

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/76162-intel-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-i5-8400-review.html 

OC3D youtube channel

Gamer Nexus youtube channel

Hardware Unboxed channel

Digital Foundry youtube channel

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Just now, Majestic said:

Utterly boring paperlaunch. 

Why is this boring?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

And yet it still isnt enough for me to consider an upgrade

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Utterly boring paperlaunch. 

i cant say i see how new CPUs are booring when they perform this great and have pretty decent pricee/performance

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Majestic said:

What is exciting about it?

Intel is literally giving us 50% more cores for pretty much the same price, not to mention that we're seeing Intel and AMD finally going at each other with competition.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Intel is literally giving us 50% more cores for pretty much the same price, not to mention that we're seeing Intel and AMD finally going at each other with competition.

Oh intel is giving you 50% more cores huh. Aren't they so nice for putting it onto different boards yet again, sandbagging since 2011, putting shitty TIM on everything and charging extra for unlocked chips.

There is nothing exciting about this paperlaunch. AMD still has more interesting offerings and beats them in perf./watt. This launch reeks of desperation. So if that is the one positive thing you call exciting, then fine. It is quite pleasing to see Intel grovel.

Oh, and did I mention it was a paperlaunch.

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Why is this boring?

probably because your Tech News doesn't contain anything original, per Community Standards.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Oh intel is giving you 50% more cores huh. Aren't they so nice for putting it onto different boards yet again, sandbagging since 2011, putting shitty TIM on everything and charging extra for unlocked chips.

There is nothing exciting about this paperlaunch. AMD still has more interesting offerings and beats them in perf./watt. This launch reeks of desperation. So if that is the one positive thing you call exciting, then fine. It is quite pleasing to see Intel grovel.

They had to put it into a different board as the chipset doesn't support 6 cores..........and what do you mean by yet again?

You must be the only person in the world who buys by seeing perf/watt graphs. 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

This launch reeks of desperation.

This post reaks of AMD fanboy

I agree on price to performance AMD wins, and I'm not interested in this launch really, but it's not boring and it's not useless 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

They had to put it into a different board as the chipset doesn't support 6 cores..........and what do you mean by yet again?

You must be the only person in the world who buys by seeing perf/watt graphs. 

And i'm sure that was by complete accident.

Yes because i'm running SFF. And interesting how this used to be the big point people brought up when it was about Intel/Nvidia.

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I agree on price to performance AMD wins, and I'm not interested in this launch really, but it's not boring and it's not useless 

Calling me an AMD fanboy, you have no idea how ironic that is. When i've literally been dubbed an Intel fanboy for years. Thanks for the absolute topkek.

>price performance AMD wins
>not interested in this launch
>"it's not boring"

You keep bringing those topkeks

10 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

probably because your Tech News doesn't contain anything original, per Community Standards.

Dude, I didn't make the post, you realize that right...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Linus videos sucks, when I watched it I feared that the i7 8700k could be disappointing somehow as their gaming benchmarks showed the i7 7700k was a tiny bit ahead, then every single other video shows the Coffee Lake easily taking the lead and now I feel much better with my soon to become true upgrade [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Is not even a clear win: For productivity I'm seeing anywhere from an intel win to more measured numbers like a slight win from the Ryzen 7. Given that the 8700k comes close to matching the 1700-1800x in productivity (see clocks for each) and winning by a large margin on gaming scenarios (again those pesky fucking 1080p tests on a 1080ti, yes I still think high refresh rate is overrated) it might just come down to application specific scenarios.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Majestic said:

Calling me an AMD fanboy, you have no idea how ironic that is. When i've literally been dubbed an Intel fanboy for years. Thanks for the absolute topkek.

>price performance AMD wins
>not interested in this launch
>"it's not boring"

You keep bringing those topkeks

Sorry I dont stalk you harder than the NSA

Yes, I'm not interested but i still find it exciting. Like I find fast cars exciting but I'm not interested in buying one.

You keep bring those overused meme language dialogues 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

14 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Performance/watt. Since when did I give a crap about performance/watt? Since when did anyone give a crap about performance/watt when the difference between the CPUs is so small? What really matters is that Intel is offering you as good multi core performance and 30-40% higher single thread performance for a little bit higher price. As well as the fact that now the locked i5s are gonna be gaming champions and the locked i3s will be much better value than the R3 CPUs.

As for "shitty tim," the TIM Intel uses is actually very high quality stuff. The reason for the poor thermal performance is because of the adhesive connecting the substrate to the IHS. That stuff expands under heat which creates gaps between the IHS and die which results in the poor thermal performance. You can see evidence of this in GN seeing still bad thermal performance after using LM on a 7900x. Temps weren't fixed until they went and scraped off some of the adhesive.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Linus videos sucks, when I watched it I feared that the i7 8700k could be disappointing somehow as their gaming benchmarks showed the i7 7700k was a tiny bit ahead, then every single other video shows the Coffee Lake easily taking the lead and now I feel much better with my soon to become true upgrade [:

I kind of have to agree here a bit: Day to day their videos are still entertaining but when it comes to hardware launches it honestly feels they spend far more time with the comedy sketches and the b-roll than the actual performance testing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On Geekbench Ryzen 3 1200

Single-Core: 3400

Multi-Core: 9300

while i3 8100 scores

Single-Core: 4600

Multi-Core: 13600

The i3 8100 has the same performance as the i5 7400

Overclocking the Ryzen 3 1200 to 3.9 Ghz we getting kinda the same scores as the i3 8100

Intel destroyed AMD

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Is not even a clear win: For productivity I'm seeing anywhere from an intel win to more measured numbers like a slight win from the Ryzen 7. Given that the 8700k comes close to matching the 1700-1800x in productivity (see clocks for each) and winning by a large margin on gaming scenarios (again those pesky fucking 1080p tests on a 1080ti, yes I still think high refresh rate is overrated) it might just come down to application specific scenarios.

Gotta include cost of system too

Personally I'll shell out more for the higher IPC and single core speeds for my applications

1 minute ago, Od1sseas said:

On Geekbench

Really? Use a real benchmark, like Cinebench. Geekbench sucks.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, Od1sseas said:

Overclocking the Ryzen 3 1200 to 3.9 Ghz we getting kinda the same scores as the i3 8100

Intel destroyed AMD

Except there are no cheap boards in sight. It's Z370 only. I fail to see your point.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

"Nah fam, Intel's TIM is really high quality stuff."

I'm done, my sides can't handle this.

Don't you love it when I provide a legitimate source and then instead of refuting it, you think it's funny?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Majestic said:

This is the shit kicker.

Bad enough are the sky high temps, even worse is the fact that you can't even fucking get one.