The Benjamins

Lenovo Announces Limited-Edition ThinkPad Anniversary Edition 25

Posted · Original PosterOP

It's official! After several years of teasing, Lenovo today has finally unveiled the "Retro ThinkPad."

Coinciding with the exact 25th anniversary of the release of the first ThinkPad model, the ThinkPad 700C, the ThinkPad Anniversary Edition 25 harkens back to some of the features that have made the ThinkPad brand special over the years.

I am glad to see this become a reality, I love the design of the older thinkpads. It is going to start at $1899, no word of specs yet.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Mobile/Lenovo-Announces-Limited-Edition-ThinkPad-Anniversary-Edition-25

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-25/p/22TP2TTTP25

Update:

So far we know that the base configuration will feature an Intel i7-7500U CPU with an NVIDIA 940MX GPU and a 14-in 1080p matte touchscreen.

02_THINKPAD_25_Hero_Front_facing_left.pn

06_Thinkpad_25_Hero_Birdseye_B_C_cover.p

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

FFS why is it so expensive??!

I wish it was cheaper, like half the price it is...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: i5-750 Motherboard: Dell G3HR7 RAM: 2x4gb DDR3 1333MHz Corsair XMS3 GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5870 1gb Storage: WD Blue 1tb PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Dell Studio XPS 8100 Monitor: Dell G2410T Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Steelseries Arctis 5

I'm 12, are you triggered yet?

I strive to find the strangest .gifs on the internet.

I also like free stuff. If you have free stuff I'll take it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

8 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Because it is a business oriented product, and clearly not a product for you and was never aimed at being a product for you.

I know it's a business-oriented product, but IMO anniversary products are more of a "showcase" product, not something you actually buy to use. For that money, you could probably get way more.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: i5-750 Motherboard: Dell G3HR7 RAM: 2x4gb DDR3 1333MHz Corsair XMS3 GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5870 1gb Storage: WD Blue 1tb PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Dell Studio XPS 8100 Monitor: Dell G2410T Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Steelseries Arctis 5

I'm 12, are you triggered yet?

I strive to find the strangest .gifs on the internet.

I also like free stuff. If you have free stuff I'll take it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Why a 940mx

Main PC:  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM: Amd R9 Gamer 32gb 2400mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF X Case | Storage: Amd R7 480gb, 2x Crucial M500 240gb, Toshiba 5TB | PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200 | CPU: Amd FX-9590 | GPU: Asus Amd Fury X | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Razer Leviathan | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Dell u3415w | Cooling: Apogee XL, Heatkiller Fury X w/ Back Plate, 720mm Rad

41 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Holy, that's a really clean and pleasant design.

I remember I had a ThinkPad for a while from my friend and I gave it right back because of stupid CTRL and FN button mixup, I had all the time when copy/paste stuff.

I agree with clean design, but fkng come on Lenovo... Ctrl button needs to be in a corner

8 minutes ago, bigneo said:

I remember I had a ThinkPad for a while from my friend and I gave it right back because of stupid CTRL and FN button mixup, I had all the time when copy/paste stuff.

I agree with clean design, but fkng come on Lenovo... Ctrl button needs to be in a corner

I didn't notice. 100% need to remap that FN out of fabric :)

32 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I know it's a business-oriented product, but IMO anniversary products are more of a "showcase" product, not something you actually buy to use. For that money, you could probably get way more.

What?

You reckon it should be a product for collectors to buy to display, but you also think it should be cheaper?

The product is aimed for people who need a laptop, and want a good laptop, and will spend the money to get a good laptop.

"For the money, you could probably get way more". Way more what? You are not going to find a better built, more reliable, great support, well designed laptop for less. Quality comes at a premium, and that's what you are buying.

This is clearly NOT a laptop aimed at you, and you clearly don't understand why this product exists, even though it makes perfect sense and has a clear audience for it.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

"For the money, you could probably get way more". Way more what? You are not going to find a better built, more reliable, great support, well designed laptop for less. Quality comes at a premium, and that's what you are buying.

This is clearly NOT a laptop aimed at you, and you clearly don't understand why this product exists, even though it makes perfect sense and has a clear audience for it.

T470 is not a 'better built, more reliable, well designed' machine. 

No ThinkPad is under Superfish-ridden Lenovo. 

If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer'

Quick Links: Recommended PC Builds | PSU Tier List | Mouse Sensors List | SATA 3 SSD Tier List | Keyboard Switches | 2nd Hand GPU Guide | Why Ryzen? (hella outdated) | Ryzen Memory Guide

Mouse enthusiast. eGPU guy. Resident EliteBook fetishist.  My specs and shit down below.

Spoiler

Apollo: i5 4670K @ 4.6Ghz, Corsair H100i, MSI Z87I, EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX3, Corsair 250D, 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, SeaSonic 520W PSU. Planned upgrades: 16GB RAM, 480/512GB SSD, new HDD

Sputnik: HP EliteBook 2570p, i5-3360M, 16GB DDR3, 256GB 840 EVO - Running Win10/Sierra dual-boot.  Future upgrades: i7-quad

Comet (home server): Atom D2500, 4GB 1066Mhz RAM, 2 x 320GB HDDs, 350W PSU, HAF-Stacker ITX, dual GbE. Cost me $80. back from the dead (mobo failure) bois

Spoiler

Main peripherals

- Corsair Strafe RGB MX Reds

- SteelSeries Siberia 650

- SteelSeries QcK+ CS:GO Camo 

- SteelSeries QcK+ Na'Vi Splash (Secondary pad, used for second rig)

- SteelSeries Rival 700

- SteelSeries Rival 300 (Secondary mouse, used for second rig)

NO ONE SLEEPS IN TOKYO, ALL RIGHT CROSSING THE LINE, NO ONE QUIT THE RADIO, TOKYO IS ON FIRE! 

Just now, Droidbot said:

T470 is not a 'better built, more reliable, well designed' machine. 

No ThinkPad is under Superfish-ridden Lenovo. 

Compared with a POS you buy from a big box PC store it is. Which is sad in both cases, but anyway.

However, I do agree with everything you have said.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Compared with a POS you buy from a big box PC store it is. Which is sad in both cases, but anyway.

However, I do agree with everything you have said.

Oh, of course. Compared to the old ThinkPads? Hell no. Compared to Latitudes (!) or EliteBooks (that aren't the 8x0 G1 machines), still not really. 

Compared to a fucking HP Envy? Hell yeah. 

Quick Links: Recommended PC Builds | PSU Tier List | Mouse Sensors List | SATA 3 SSD Tier List | Keyboard Switches | 2nd Hand GPU Guide | Why Ryzen? (hella outdated) | Ryzen Memory Guide

Mouse enthusiast. eGPU guy. Resident EliteBook fetishist.  My specs and shit down below.

Spoiler

Apollo: i5 4670K @ 4.6Ghz, Corsair H100i, MSI Z87I, EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX3, Corsair 250D, 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, SeaSonic 520W PSU. Planned upgrades: 16GB RAM, 480/512GB SSD, new HDD

Sputnik: HP EliteBook 2570p, i5-3360M, 16GB DDR3, 256GB 840 EVO - Running Win10/Sierra dual-boot.  Future upgrades: i7-quad

Comet (home server): Atom D2500, 4GB 1066Mhz RAM, 2 x 320GB HDDs, 350W PSU, HAF-Stacker ITX, dual GbE. Cost me $80. back from the dead (mobo failure) bois

Spoiler

Main peripherals

- SteelSeries Rival 700

NO ONE SLEEPS IN TOKYO, ALL RIGHT CROSSING THE LINE, NO ONE QUIT THE RADIO, TOKYO IS ON FIRE! 

Just now, Droidbot said:

Oh, of course. Compared to the old ThinkPads? Hell no. Compared to Latitudes (!) or EliteBooks (that aren't the 8x0 G1 machines), still not really. 

Compared to a fucking HP Envy? Hell yeah. 

Some of the newer, latitude are fucking awful in every way (don't even have a dock port), I'm going to say very comparable to new ThinkPads, or even worse.

Elitebook 8x0 series, haven't had one issue with them about build or support quality, however they don't compare with the earlier series of elitebooks design wise (and their keyboards are awful compared with previous models), same applies with the zbooks, which was HP's replacement for the "W" suffixed elitebook models.

I personally haven't split a coffee on my 8470P, and I am not going to try it.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Some of the newer, latitude are fucking awful in every way (don't even have a dock port), I'm going to say very comparable to new ThinkPads, or even worse.

Elitebook 8x0 series, haven't had one issue with them about build or support quality, however they don't compare with the earlier series of elitebooks design wise (and their keyboards are awful compared with previous models), same applies with the zbooks, which was HP's replacement for the "W" suffixed elitebook models.

I personally haven't split a coffee on my 8470P, and I am not going to try it.

Latitude E6440 is a solid system, allows OC on Haswell as well, it's quite a nice system. 

I had horrid problems with a 820G1, but the G3 was flawless. 

I've got a 2570p, love it too much to kill it :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Main peripherals

- SteelSeries Rival 700

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Latitude E6440 is a solid system, allows OC on Haswell as well, it's quite a nice system. 

I had horrid problems with a 820G1, but the G3 was flawless. 

I've got a 2570p, love it too much to kill it :)

I think your 820 G1 was a lemon. At work, we have 15 840 G1's. All of which are working really well, had one SSD failure, and a user managed to break the slim dock, other than that, fine.

Honestly I’d buy one just to gut it and see if I can fit an entire standard system in it, something like a H110TM-ITX should be able to fit. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): i5-6600k @ stock | Silverstone AR04 | iGPU (Godawful) | 1x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (Running 2133) | ASRock H110M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6S + NAS | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice)

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): Xeon X5450 | Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 | Asus P5G41C-M LX | Asus GT 730 2GB Passive | 2x2GB Noname (DDR2-667) | Crucial BX200 240GB + 320GB HDD | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig, needs upgrades): i7-4790 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | KFA2 GTX 560 Ti EX OC | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist PSU Tier list F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Yeah, don't. Mod a dead T410.

Yeah I can do that too. I’ll fit a single slot graphics card in there too.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): i5-6600k @ stock | Silverstone AR04 | iGPU (Godawful) | 1x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (Running 2133) | ASRock H110M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6S + NAS | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice)

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): Xeon X5450 | Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 | Asus P5G41C-M LX | Asus GT 730 2GB Passive | 2x2GB Noname (DDR2-667) | Crucial BX200 240GB + 320GB HDD | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig, needs upgrades): i7-4790 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | KFA2 GTX 560 Ti EX OC | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist PSU Tier list F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

To the gamers that are going to whine about it costing a lot or looking bad, this is a laptop for working and making money. This is a laptop for when you need to setup 20 surveillance cameras in a local grocery store and you accidentally drop it from a 12ft ladder and it still works.

3 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

this is a laptop for working and making money.

as posted by @Droidbot ,  faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it.

This is just an attempt at reaching peoples nostalgia factor

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 years later: Still patiently waitng

Phones: iPhone 4S | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000