Lenovo Announces Limited-Edition ThinkPad Anniversary Edition 25

The Benjamins

It's official! After several years of teasing, Lenovo today has finally unveiled the "Retro ThinkPad."

Coinciding with the exact 25th anniversary of the release of the first ThinkPad model, the ThinkPad 700C, the ThinkPad Anniversary Edition 25 harkens back to some of the features that have made the ThinkPad brand special over the years.

I am glad to see this become a reality, I love the design of the older thinkpads. It is going to start at $1899, no word of specs yet.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Mobile/Lenovo-Announces-Limited-Edition-ThinkPad-Anniversary-Edition-25

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-25/p/22TP2TTTP25

Update:

So far we know that the base configuration will feature an Intel i7-7500U CPU with an NVIDIA 940MX GPU and a 14-in 1080p matte touchscreen.

02_THINKPAD_25_Hero_Front_facing_left.pn

06_Thinkpad_25_Hero_Birdseye_B_C_cover.p

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

FFS why is it so expensive??!

I wish it was cheaper, like half the price it is...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

FFS why is it so expensive??!

I wish it was cheaper, like half the price it is...

Because it is a business oriented product, and clearly not a product for you and was never aimed at being a product for you.

8 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Because it is a business oriented product, and clearly not a product for you and was never aimed at being a product for you.

I know it's a business-oriented product, but IMO anniversary products are more of a "showcase" product, not something you actually buy to use. For that money, you could probably get way more.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Aesthetically, the retro design looks impressive. It certainly brings aspects of the retro design from lenovos predacessor laptop designs.

the mark up is pretty bad i was thinking about picking one up lenovo shot down that idea  

41 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Holy, that's a really clean and pleasant design.

I remember I had a ThinkPad for a while from my friend and I gave it right back because of stupid CTRL and FN button mixup, I had all the time when copy/paste stuff.

I agree with clean design, but fkng come on Lenovo... Ctrl button needs to be in a corner

8 minutes ago, bigneo said:

I remember I had a ThinkPad for a while from my friend and I gave it right back because of stupid CTRL and FN button mixup, I had all the time when copy/paste stuff.

I agree with clean design, but fkng come on Lenovo... Ctrl button needs to be in a corner

I didn't notice. 100% need to remap that FN out of fabric :)

32 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I know it's a business-oriented product, but IMO anniversary products are more of a "showcase" product, not something you actually buy to use. For that money, you could probably get way more.

What?

You reckon it should be a product for collectors to buy to display, but you also think it should be cheaper?

The product is aimed for people who need a laptop, and want a good laptop, and will spend the money to get a good laptop.

"For the money, you could probably get way more". Way more what? You are not going to find a better built, more reliable, great support, well designed laptop for less. Quality comes at a premium, and that's what you are buying.

This is clearly NOT a laptop aimed at you, and you clearly don't understand why this product exists, even though it makes perfect sense and has a clear audience for it.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

"For the money, you could probably get way more". Way more what? You are not going to find a better built, more reliable, great support, well designed laptop for less. Quality comes at a premium, and that's what you are buying.

This is clearly NOT a laptop aimed at you, and you clearly don't understand why this product exists, even though it makes perfect sense and has a clear audience for it.

T470 is not a 'better built, more reliable, well designed' machine. 

No ThinkPad is under Superfish-ridden Lenovo. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

T470 is not a 'better built, more reliable, well designed' machine. 

No ThinkPad is under Superfish-ridden Lenovo. 

Compared with a POS you buy from a big box PC store it is. Which is sad in both cases, but anyway.

However, I do agree with everything you have said.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Compared with a POS you buy from a big box PC store it is. Which is sad in both cases, but anyway.

However, I do agree with everything you have said.

Oh, of course. Compared to the old ThinkPads? Hell no. Compared to Latitudes (!) or EliteBooks (that aren't the 8x0 G1 machines), still not really. 

Compared to a fucking HP Envy? Hell yeah. 

idk

thinkpads just arent as cheap and as good quality as they were :(

I still have a t61p that works and i used it with 2 batteries. Heavy but gave me more than 5 hours of working battery life in the past which i bought the battery 2nd hand.

Just now, Droidbot said:

Oh, of course. Compared to the old ThinkPads? Hell no. Compared to Latitudes (!) or EliteBooks (that aren't the 8x0 G1 machines), still not really. 

Compared to a fucking HP Envy? Hell yeah. 

Some of the newer, latitude are fucking awful in every way (don't even have a dock port), I'm going to say very comparable to new ThinkPads, or even worse.

Elitebook 8x0 series, haven't had one issue with them about build or support quality, however they don't compare with the earlier series of elitebooks design wise (and their keyboards are awful compared with previous models), same applies with the zbooks, which was HP's replacement for the "W" suffixed elitebook models.

I personally haven't split a coffee on my 8470P, and I am not going to try it.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Some of the newer, latitude are fucking awful in every way (don't even have a dock port), I'm going to say very comparable to new ThinkPads, or even worse.

Elitebook 8x0 series, haven't had one issue with them about build or support quality, however they don't compare with the earlier series of elitebooks design wise (and their keyboards are awful compared with previous models), same applies with the zbooks, which was HP's replacement for the "W" suffixed elitebook models.

I personally haven't split a coffee on my 8470P, and I am not going to try it.

Latitude E6440 is a solid system, allows OC on Haswell as well, it's quite a nice system. 

I had horrid problems with a 820G1, but the G3 was flawless. 

I've got a 2570p, love it too much to kill it :)

idk

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Latitude E6440 is a solid system, allows OC on Haswell as well, it's quite a nice system. 

I had horrid problems with a 820G1, but the G3 was flawless. 

I've got a 2570p, love it too much to kill it :)

I think your 820 G1 was a lemon. At work, we have 15 840 G1's. All of which are working really well, had one SSD failure, and a user managed to break the slim dock, other than that, fine.

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Honestly I’d buy one just to gut it and see if I can fit an entire standard system in it, something like a H110TM-ITX should be able to fit. 

Yeah, don't. Mod a dead T410.

To the gamers that are going to whine about it costing a lot or looking bad, this is a laptop for working and making money. This is a laptop for when you need to setup 20 surveillance cameras in a local grocery store and you accidentally drop it from a 12ft ladder and it still works.

3 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

this is a laptop for working and making money.

as posted by @Droidbot ,  faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it.

This is just an attempt at reaching peoples nostalgia factor

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>