OssMosx

How well will Dell XPS M1730 run?

3 minutes ago, OssMosx said:

Dual core will suit me well, I only play NFS Run and Crysis and I saw this laptop can push Crysis 2 at 60FPS, but will it die on me? I plan to get a cooling pad and plan to NOT OVERCLOCK it so it can last as long as possible. Any advice?

Repaste and undervolt.  

Posted · Original PosterOP

How well do you think this will last in the future (Like reliability) this Dell XPS M1730 will be my main computer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-XPS-M1730-EXTREME-GAMING-LAPTOP-2-8-GHz-4GB-500GB-NVIDIA-8800M-GT-SLI-/322796359864?hash=item4b282990b8:g:8u4AAOSwB09YIkJj

I already bought it but not this particular one but from the same seller, only with a 250GB SSD for $504.08 US

Wow. That is an old tank. Regardless of it being an "extreme" edition CPU, it's still only rocking two cores, so nothing to write home about. I suppose for day to day tasks it'll work just fine but I hope you're not intending to game on this unless you're exclusively running off GOG's catalog of classics.

I haven't seen one of those in... many years.

FrankenPC: Core i7 4790k @ 4.8GHz (1.28v) / Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H / 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1800MHz / EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX3.0 / ADATA SU800 512GB SSD / WD Blue 2TB / Seasonic G750 Modular / InWin 303 White / Custom Loop = EK LTX, Lang D5, Swiftech MCR320-XP

Just now, ApolloX75 said:

Wow. That is an old tank. Regardless of it being an "extreme" edition CPU, it's still only rocking two cores, so nothing to write home about. I suppose for day to day tasks it'll work just fine but I hope you're not intending to game on this unless you're exclusively running off GOG's catalog of classics.

I haven't seen one of those in... many years.

Dual core will suit me well, I only play NFS Run and Crysis and I saw this laptop can push Crysis 2 at 60FPS, but will it die on me? I plan to get a cooling pad and plan to NOT OVERCLOCK it so it can last as long as possible. Any advice?

Posted · Best Answer
3 minutes ago, OssMosx said:

Repaste and undervolt.  

Just now, OssMosx said:

Thank you for your advice. I give this forum a 10/10.

Yeah this forum is the shizzle

But in all honesty, all you can do is repaste, undervolt, and clean the inside out.

The XPS design has really changed over the years...

xps m1730.jpg

RE1yaBM.jpg

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

6 minutes ago, OssMosx said:

Those old Dell XPS laptops were true tanks, they can take an absolute pounding and keep on ticking. I've seen them dropped, clogged full of dust and dirt, and even soaked in cat pee (don't ask). 

Yeah it'll last. Just keep it clean and change out the thermal paste every year or two and it'll keep on trucking.

FrankenPC: Core i7 4790k @ 4.8GHz (1.28v) / Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H / 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1800MHz / EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX3.0 / ADATA SU800 512GB SSD / WD Blue 2TB / Seasonic G750 Modular / InWin 303 White / Custom Loop = EK LTX, Lang D5, Swiftech MCR320-XP

Just now, ApolloX75 said:

Those old Dell XPS laptops were true tanks, they can take an absolute pounding and keep on ticking. I've seen them dropped, clogged full of dust and dirt, and even soaked in cat pee (don't ask). 

Yeah it'll last. Just keep it clean and change out the thermal paste every year or two and it'll keep on trucking.

Thank you all a lot you are very helpful.

3 minutes ago, kagarium said:

The XPS design has really changed over the years...

xps m1730.jpg

RE1yaBM.jpg

Well the focus of the XPS line changed altogether.

When they acquired Alienware, the XPS lineup became more about productivity and workstations. Alienware became their new gaming brand.

Not worth it.. 

Old XPS machines are best left as collectors items unused. 

If you're looking to push pixels in games on a budget, look for something modern at least. 940MX machines are cheap, and if you go refurb you can get a 1050/Ti for under $600. 

If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer'

Quick Links: Recommended PC Builds | PSU Tier List | Mouse Sensors List | SATA 3 SSD Tier List | Keyboard Switches | 2nd Hand GPU Guide | Why Ryzen? (hella outdated) | Ryzen Memory Guide

Mouse enthusiast. eGPU guy. Resident EliteBook fetishist.  My specs and shit down below.

Spoiler

Apollo: i5 4670K @ 4.6Ghz, Corsair H100i, MSI Z87I, EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX3, Corsair 250D, 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, SeaSonic 520W PSU. Planned upgrades: 16GB RAM, 480/512GB SSD, new HDD

Sputnik: HP EliteBook 2570p, i5-3360M, 16GB DDR3, 256GB 840 EVO - Running Win10/Sierra dual-boot.  Future upgrades: i7-quad

Comet (home server): Atom D2500, 4GB 1066Mhz RAM, 2 x 320GB HDDs, 350W PSU, HAF-Stacker ITX, dual GbE. Cost me $80. back from the dead (mobo failure) bois

Spoiler

Main peripherals

- Corsair Strafe RGB MX Reds

- SteelSeries Siberia 650

- SteelSeries QcK+ CS:GO Camo 

- SteelSeries QcK+ Na'Vi Splash (Secondary pad, used for second rig)

- SteelSeries Rival 700

- SteelSeries Rival 300 (Secondary mouse, used for second rig)

NO ONE SLEEPS IN TOKYO, ALL RIGHT CROSSING THE LINE, NO ONE QUIT THE RADIO, TOKYO IS ON FIRE!