How well will Dell XPS M1730 run?

OssMosx
Go to solution Solved by Guest lilbman,
3 minutes ago, OssMosx said:

Dual core will suit me well, I only play NFS Run and Crysis and I saw this laptop can push Crysis 2 at 60FPS, but will it die on me? I plan to get a cooling pad and plan to NOT OVERCLOCK it so it can last as long as possible. Any advice?

Repaste and undervolt.  

How well do you think this will last in the future (Like reliability) this Dell XPS M1730 will be my main computer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-XPS-M1730-EXTREME-GAMING-LAPTOP-2-8-GHz-4GB-500GB-NVIDIA-8800M-GT-SLI-/322796359864?hash=item4b282990b8:g:8u4AAOSwB09YIkJj

I already bought it but not this particular one but from the same seller, only with a 250GB SSD for $504.08 US

Wow. That is an old tank. Regardless of it being an "extreme" edition CPU, it's still only rocking two cores, so nothing to write home about. I suppose for day to day tasks it'll work just fine but I hope you're not intending to game on this unless you're exclusively running off GOG's catalog of classics.

I haven't seen one of those in... many years.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Just now, ApolloX75 said:

Wow. That is an old tank. Regardless of it being an "extreme" edition CPU, it's still only rocking two cores, so nothing to write home about. I suppose for day to day tasks it'll work just fine but I hope you're not intending to game on this unless you're exclusively running off GOG's catalog of classics.

I haven't seen one of those in... many years.

Dual core will suit me well, I only play NFS Run and Crysis and I saw this laptop can push Crysis 2 at 60FPS, but will it die on me? I plan to get a cooling pad and plan to NOT OVERCLOCK it so it can last as long as possible. Any advice?

3 minutes ago, OssMosx said:

Repaste and undervolt.  

Just now, lilbman said:

Repaste and undervolt.  

Thank you for your advice. I give this forum a 10/10.

Ah, I remember these. My buddy had one,  Doesn't that little display show the temps and stuff?

Just now, OssMosx said:

Thank you for your advice. I give this forum a 10/10.

Yeah this forum is the shizzle

But in all honesty, all you can do is repaste, undervolt, and clean the inside out.

The XPS design has really changed over the years...

xps m1730.jpg

RE1yaBM.jpg

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

6 minutes ago, OssMosx said:

Those old Dell XPS laptops were true tanks, they can take an absolute pounding and keep on ticking. I've seen them dropped, clogged full of dust and dirt, and even soaked in cat pee (don't ask). 

Yeah it'll last. Just keep it clean and change out the thermal paste every year or two and it'll keep on trucking.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Just now, ApolloX75 said:

Those old Dell XPS laptops were true tanks, they can take an absolute pounding and keep on ticking. I've seen them dropped, clogged full of dust and dirt, and even soaked in cat pee (don't ask). 

Yeah it'll last. Just keep it clean and change out the thermal paste every year or two and it'll keep on trucking.

Thank you all a lot you are very helpful.

3 minutes ago, kagarium said:

The XPS design has really changed over the years...

xps m1730.jpg

RE1yaBM.jpg

Well the focus of the XPS line changed altogether.

When they acquired Alienware, the XPS lineup became more about productivity and workstations. Alienware became their new gaming brand.

Not worth it.. 

Old XPS machines are best left as collectors items unused. 

If you're looking to push pixels in games on a budget, look for something modern at least. 940MX machines are cheap, and if you go refurb you can get a 1050/Ti for under $600. 

idk