How to Play PC games in 30 FPS

Evolution.

30 fps is playable in my standards because consoles... but console 30fps seems much smoother than PC 30 fps this is because they use some trick to manipulate your brain into thinking it's not delayed

If you play on pc and move the mouse you expect it to move instantly so that's why it seems more delayed on 30fps on console you have the Joysticks and motion blur which both cover that shit up.

so in order to make the 30fps experience better on pc play with controller and motion blur on also turn off msaa

Most games have a framerate cap that you can set it to. Also as I read in your forum signature, your PC should be capable of hitting 60fps, why aim for only 30?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Proper frame pacing is the trick.

If it's 30fps but frame times bounce all over the place, well it's not gonna look nice.

With a decent motion blur and post processing implementation and proper frame pacing, 30fps can look very clean and fluid.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

The reason 30 fps on console doesn't fuck with you like it does on PC is because of the input on an analog stick vs a mouse. You're waiting for the screen to move based on an amount of input, not because you're directing the change immediately through your mouse.

Well, 30 fps vs 30 fps is not always equal, because frametimes are very important. Consoles are so controlled that you will get the "perfect" 30 fps, and on a pc you will hardly get that (well, unless with freesync and gsync that I know of).

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Personally I thin console 30fps is just as unplayable as PC 30fps. I bought Destiny 1 for the Xbox one, and forgot that there was a 30fps cap. Played for less than 5min, couldn't stand it, and haven't played it since (this was over a year ago).

36 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

With a decent motion blur and post processing implementation and proper frame pacing, 30fps can look very clean and fluid.

A prime example is the Witcher 3. At 24fps, it looks smooth af compared to some games running in the 40s

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

On a 60hz display, 24fps wouldn't look smooth at all...

I haven't noticed any real issues with it (With the Witcher 3 that is, other games typically behave closer to slideshows at that refresh rate for me). Realistically the frame rate is closer to 27Hz.

Just now, tjcater said:

I haven't noticed any real issues with it (With the Witcher 3 that is, other games typically behave closer to slideshows at that refresh rate for me). Realistically the frame rate is closer to 27Hz.

Do the math.  A 60hz display refreshes 60 times per second, exactly every 16.66ms.  If you're feeding it 24fps, 24 doesn't divide into 60 evenly.  If you feed it 30fps, it'll just repeat the frames for every two refresh cycles.  Effectively, each frame is on screen for exactly 33.33ms.  24fps, now you have to flip flop.  You don't use the same frame for two refresh cycles every time since 24 doesn't divide into 60.  You're going to display a frame for 2 refresh cycles, the next one for 3 cycles, then 2 cycles, 3 cycles, and so on.  a 3:2:3:2:3:3 pattern, repeating.  So frames are on screen for 33.33ms, 50ms, 33.33ms, 50ms, 33.33ms, and so on.  In short, something very not 'smooth'.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If it's 30fps but frame times bounce all over the place, well it's not gonna look nice.

It's all about resolution.  If your FPS is 60 then it looks great on 1920 x 1080.  However, if you must settle for FPS 30, 1600 x 900 or lower looks good and puts less stress on the video card.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Do the math.  A 60hz display refreshes 60 times per second, exactly every 16.66ms.  If you're feeding it 24fps, 24 doesn't divide into 60 evenly.  If you feed it 30fps, it'll just repeat the frames for every two refresh cycles.  Effectively, each frame is on screen for exactly 33.33ms.  24fps, now you have to flip flop.  You don't use the same frame for two refresh cycles every time since 24 doesn't divide into 60.  You're going to display a frame for 2 refresh cycles, the next one for 3 cycles, then 2 cycles, 3 cycles, and so on.  a 3:2:3:2:3:3 pattern, repeating.  So frames are on screen for 33.33ms, 50ms, 33.33ms, 50ms, 33.33ms, and so on.  In short, something very not 'smooth'.

I'm not questioning that logic or anything as an even division would look better. My argument was that with motion blur and proper post-processing like in the Witcher 3, it can look far smoother than a game bouncing around the 40Hz range with no motion blur or post-processing. 2:1:2:1 pattern if a smooth 40Hz but anything else also has the same issue.

I'm pretty sure you can change your monitors refresh rate in the NVIDIA Control Panel, assuming you have a NVIDIA card, and then you can just turn on V-Sync.  That might work.

I have tried playing Dead Space at 30 fps and the difference is very noticeable to the point its unplayable at times. I have tried with the Xbox Controller too, wasn't greatly impressed either. Unfortunately, unless I turn vsync on, the corpses in the game would fling around uncontrollably, and that scares the **** out of me :S

4 hours ago, VenomZ_ said:

--SNIP--

so in order to make the 30fps experience better on pc play with controller and motion blur on also turn off msaa

I just play with Motion Blur, Bloom, Ambient Occlusion, and Depth of Field turned off in ALL games because I can't stand any of those effects. I haven't seen a motion blur implementation that looks good yet, don't need every light source to have fuzzy glowing edges, actually prefer harder lighting in most games, and want everything to be in focus all the time so I can see who's shooting me. Same goes for games with "color correction" - how does this even work, considering I haven't provided any monitor calibration details to the games config or settings?

However, these are just my preferences and I'm probably in the minority here, so play games how you wish so long as you enjoy them. :)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Also in addition to what people said here, sometimes console games use motion blur in a way to simulate fast paced potion (like action movies) so it seems smoother 

-Amy Miyake

10 hours ago, VenomZ_ said:

turn off msaa

Why exactly? Do you want your games to look like a jagged mess? 

10 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Look? Maybe. Feel? No way. 

9 hours ago, tjcater said:

A prime example is the Witcher 3. At 24fps, it looks smooth af compared to some games running in the 40s

Why 24fps exactly? is it because of the "cinematic look" :D

9 hours ago, Crusher Golfer said:

It's all about resolution.  If your FPS is 60 then it looks great on 1920 x 1080.  However, if you must settle for FPS 30, 1600 x 900 or lower looks good and puts less stress on the video card.

Exactly what is all about resolution, and what do you mean?

10 hours ago, Taja said:

Well, 30 fps vs 30 fps is not always equal, because frametimes are very important. Consoles are so controlled that you will get the "perfect" 30 fps, and on a pc you will hardly get that (well, unless with freesync and gsync that I know of).

You will get it if you enable v-sync, which many console games uses. 

1 hour ago, -TesseracT- said:

Why 24fps exactly? is it because of the "cinematic look"

That was the low point that my GPU would achieve in crowded areas at Ultra. No real reason beyond that.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Reading's hard, isn't it.

Yep, sometimes. Although, I did not point out that you ever said in your post that it felt good. 

Artificial motion blur looks like garbage in my opinion. Using vsync solves 99% of the fluidity problems you might have at low framerates. There's not much you can do about frame pacing but generally at 30 fps with vsync it's not very noticeable.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A thread about a race to bottom. Wow

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

how do you get proper frame pacing on PC?  I find that even at a locked 60 with V-Sync, some games feel choppy because frame times keep bouncing between 12ms and 20ms rather than staying at a consistent 16.66

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

• 4 months later...
On 06/10/2017 at 2:31 AM, IrshaadH said:

how do you get proper frame pacing on PC?  I find that even at a locked 60 with V-Sync, some games feel choppy because frame times keep bouncing between 12ms and 20ms rather than staying at a consistent 16.66

You can get proper frame pacing on PC. Just use msi rivatuner to cap your game fps at 30 or 60. Dont use in game fps cap. Then add in vsync and motion blur. Believe me its smoooooooothhhhh. Apply motion blur if u cap at 30 only. 60 fps dont need motion blur.

Edited by RedSoap