Syncing RGB fans / individually addressable LED strip with MBO RGB headers

5 hours ago, miha929 said:

BTW....  Nice rig :D

So...  First you need Aura Addressable Strip Header(s)  (ADD Header)   Search for them!   They must have the same pins as mine..   5V, data, Ground - Scroll up to see how they look on my MoBo

Then.....    Disconnect the 3 pin Cable from the Commander PRO that goes to the RGB hub  ( I used the cable that goes to the small remote from the fan controller... )....   and Connect just the middle pin from the cable to the MoBo   "ADD Connector"  Data pin!!!

You only need this one to work the lighting wit Aura Sinc.

The RGB Hub has room for just 6 LED Fans....  so maybe get some connectors and Splitters, or buy a second RGB hub to connect the remaining Fan LED's... 

Parallel Solder the wire for the Data pin on the ADD connector and Cable to work with more Fan LED's and maybe 2 RGB Hub's....(  IF YOU GOT MORE ADD HEADERS!!!  USE THEM INSTEAD ).

But the Fans LED's probably wont work for them selves... because they get parallel signals... and will be the same color and Effect as the other parallel Fan ( in the case you got only 1 ADD header....  maybe this wont happen if you got more than 1 ADD header on your motherboard.  i do not know that...  because my computer has 5 Fans...  and 1 ADD connector.

Maybe you can connect the FAN POWER cables to the Splitter of the Kraken cables...  you can connect 4 fans on that...  the rest connect to the motherboard Fan Headers (Case Fan connectors)  and ditch the Commander Pro.......    :)

Keep us Posted  :D   

Thank you Miha929. Yes i already read your posting several times and see how it works on your nice pc!! ?. 

But i still confused with this part : 

“Then.....    Disconnect the 3 pin Cable from the Commander PRO that goes to the RGB hub  ( I used the cable that goes to the small remote from the fan controller... )....   and Connect just the middle pin from the cable to the MoBo   "ADD Connector"  Data pin!!!

You only need this one to work the lighting wit Aura Sinc” 

it’s mean 3 pin cable from the hub that connect to commander pro need extra converter so can be plug-in to Addressable RGB pin as on this picture 

Would you mind to take pictures about how you connect the remote cable dissamble to the board. 

8EA3AC20-5638-4A5A-BBD7-52A68877B288.jpeg

Thank you all. Now i can control my corsair fan from aura. 

• From corsair fan hub has 3 pin but only containing 2 cable (5v and data only) ... so from the cable output. Since it only need the DATA. Actually i only rotate the cable that goes to the board ADD_Header1.

so my cable position from the hub connection output will be :

blank - data - 5v

once again thank you all for the sharing

@miha929 @Kayanaphotographybalk Looking good. You guys have basically got the right idea. Basically disconnect the RGB hub from the commander and connect the middle pin of the cable going between the commander and RGB hub to the data pin of the addressable header on the motherboard. The instructions posted above are accurate. If you follow those with the LL fans you won't have an issue.

Regarding connecting fans in parallel, you should be able to connect multiple fan hub data pins to one addressable header data pin. I would recommend running each hub off a different addressable header. I have never tried to run multiple LED strips off one header. A more reliable solution would be to chain 2 hubs together in series, however using HD/LL fans you will quickly reach the 120led per header limit imposed by the aura software. If you want to run more than 6 or so fans I would recommend building the arduino system described in the OP, as it gives much greater versatility of control compared to Aura. 

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Yes...   the LED limit is quickly there...   so the arduino option is not bad!

my motherboard has yust 1 ADD header...   but the Maximus has 2...   so you are good to go with 240 LED's

i'm happy that i could help....  ?

55 minutes ago, miha929 said:

Yes...   the LED limit is quickly there...   so the arduino option is not bad!

my motherboard has yust 1 ADD header...   but the Maximus has 2...   so you are good to go with 240 LED's

i'm happy that i could help....  ?

The reason asus limit the number of LEDs is due to how the LEDs work (each LED passing its current color onto the next LED when it receives a new colour) the longer the LED chain, the slower the update speed becomes. I run 123 LEDs round the perimeter of my case, but this is the max I would want to do. As a result, I run the LEDs on the IO panel and behind my GPU block off a seperate arduino pin. Using arduino helps alot with running more LEDs, as the FastLED library supports parallel output on up to 8 strips at once. Whilst this isn't a true fix for the fundamental behavior of the LEDs, it is at least a very effective workaround.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Thank you so much @unknownmiscreant for the great tutorial. 

And thank you so much @miha929 to explain that i have so many fan power ports other then using commander. If i know this before, i will not buy the commander ??. 

Once again thank you so much guys. You made all this headache gone really quick. 

If came to bali. Just contact me. 

Btw here is the result 

38 minutes ago, Kayana Photography Bali said:

Thank you so much @unknownmiscreant for the great tutorial. 

And thank you so much @miha929 to explain that i have so many fan power ports other then using commander. If i know this before, i will not buy the commander ??. 

Once again thank you so much guys. You made all this headache gone really quick. 

If came to bali. Just contact me. 

Btw here is the result 

snip

Looking great.

Couple of suggestions: 

1) Try disable the q-code thing, ik on the latest Asus crosshair BIOSes this option is available in Advanced-->ROG options--> q-code/post code or something. Choose the disabled after post option. My board looks a fair bit better without the green '33' in the top corner.

2) If your front fans are RGB you could likely connect them to Aura as well. From the look of them, even if they aren't you could likely replace the current led strip with some 3rd party RGB strip and use that with Aura.

I'm tempted to buy some LL fans now... lol.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Here is a disassembly video of the KRAKEN X62:

On 19/04/2018 at 3:11 PM, unknownmiscreant said:

Ill put this in the OP as well. Man my rig's changed a bit since I filmed this. Although the RBG modes are basically the same still.

Thanks a lot. I will be attempting this soon.

Currently, I'm making addressable led shrouds to fit any fan using individual led's and soldering them onto a nice frame. I'll use the method suggested in connecting all of this setup to the 5v aura pin on my motherboard.

Thanks a lot for making this thread mate. Can't appreciate enough.

• 3 weeks later...

you could also use rgbsync. uses the sdks to controll from asus aura.

• 2 weeks later...

So, i have 5 polaris fans, one rgb strip an rgb air cooler and even an rgb m.2 cooler all connected to aura using the 12v header on 1080ti strix. To lighten the load on the header i bought this https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0743LGBNH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YLBhBbRDG8G5Q It basically takes the input of 12v headers and extend to other 4 headers powering them through sata, right?(not used yet so if i'm wrong pkease stop me before i fry something).They even have the same thing for addressable rgb (https://www.amazon.it/dp/B073FRJWBN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7NBhBbDMY15GB) Now considered that with this last item i should not worry about powering the led from the header, is there a way to extract the data signal from the 12v header of my gpu connecting to the data pin of this controller? I'm pretty much already full synced, but i'd like the option to add addressable rgbs to my build. Please could you help me, and i'd really like to know if you think the first adapter i linked would work to lighten the load on the header of my gpu. Thank you very much!

Hi, thanks for the awesome guide ! I'm all set on the parts and since i'm going to be running this on a C6H, a corsair 570X case and 6xSP120 fans there isn't any changes to make it work on my end.
However, even though i believe i have a decent understanding of we're doing here but i didn't quite get your voltage divider from 12V to 5V. Refering to my drawing, you put 2.8k (a 2.7k and a 100) in R1 and a 1k in R2 ? By my count that would give a little over 3V max output voltage. Or perhaps you put 2x 1k in R2 which would give us exactly 5V ? Or perhaps you did your divider a way i don't know about ?

Thanks.

divider.png

• 5 months later...

hi, so I would like to do this project. 

1. I have minimal electrical knowledge, but am willing to learn. 

2. What Arduino do I need?

3. what resistors do I need?-Links would be greatly appreciated

4. Would love to do this project, and learn in the process.

5. I have cf 120 deepcool fans and an asus prime x470 pro motherboard. Is it possibly to do this on this motherboard, with these fans?

Thank you for anyone who helps me out!

• 1 month later...

hello have anyone tested what miha929 was suggesting ?

layout of corsair hub connected is : 5v-D-G while addressable header is 5v-D-(empty)-G.

Do i need to use also 5v plug ?

How connect corsair header with addressable header?

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2018 at 12:05 AM, djona12 said:

Hi, thanks for the awesome guide ! I'm all set on the parts and since i'm going to be running this on a C6H, a corsair 570X case and 6xSP120 fans there isn't any changes to make it work on my end.
However, even though i believe i have a decent understanding of we're doing here but i didn't quite get your voltage divider from 12V to 5V. Refering to my drawing, you put 2.8k (a 2.7k and a 100) in R1 and a 1k in R2 ? By my count that would give a little over 3V max output voltage. Or perhaps you put 2x 1k in R2 which would give us exactly 5V ? Or perhaps you did your divider a way i don't know about ?

Thanks.

divider.png

This was my understanding (sorry if I'm not using the correct schematic symbols? 

circuit.png

I'm super excited to have found this thread because I'm trying to solve this exact problem! In fact I'm building a small PCB that will take in a 4-pin 12v RGB and spit out a 5v 3-pin, it'll also include a fan splitter (since I'm using the Phanteks Halos).

Your schematic is extremely helpful @nicegamer7 but it doesn't answer the question I've been struggling with. Where the hell do I hook up the ground signal? All the research I found always had a common ground pin with three 12V PWM signals. It's easy since you can just chain all the ground signals together. But because there's a common power pin here, where does the ground go?

In my case, I have written some software for the ATTiny85 that will smooth out a PWM signal and convert it to the 3-pin LED strip. In my case I'm guessing the frequency of the motherboard PWM is 25Khz? so I'm using an RC circuit to convert each color channel to a voltage which I feed into the ATTiny (though I need to convert it to 5V somehow as well). But my problem still stands, I have no idea where the ground goes.

@Torpedoes, you are right, after I posted the schematic I looked back at it and thought it didn't make too much sense. So I made this one (I just didn't post it because I assumed the thread was dead and that nobody would care for it, guess I was wrong):
1973850405_circuitbutagain.png.f33835912f64bddb0d2cb6e25e9ca553.png
Some notes about it: I have very limited knowledge about electricity (pretty much only Ohm's Law because Grade 11 :)), so I wouldn't try this until I do. I've ordered the parts I need but it'll be about a month till they get here, but when they do get here, I will certainly try it. Also I changed the resistor values, and took out the 220ohm resistors as I didn't really see their purpose. I get that they are supposed to provide a dummy load, but doesn't the voltage divider also do that?

• 10 months later...
On 3/11/2019 at 7:53 AM, nicegamer7 said:

@Torpedoes, you are right, after I posted the schematic I looked back at it and thought it didn't make too much sense. So I made this one (I just didn't post it because I assumed the thread was dead and that nobody would care for it, guess I was wrong):
1973850405_circuitbutagain.png.f33835912f64bddb0d2cb6e25e9ca553.png
Some notes about it: I have very limited knowledge about electricity (pretty much only Ohm's Law because Grade 11 :)), so I wouldn't try this until I do. I've ordered the parts I need but it'll be about a month till they get here, but when they do get here, I will certainly try it. Also I changed the resistor values, and took out the 220ohm resistors as I didn't really see their purpose. I get that they are supposed to provide a dummy load, but doesn't the voltage divider also do that?

did this work for you without any issue? :/

• 2 weeks later...

I actually haven't tried it yet... I've been a little busy lately. I just got some breadboards though, and have a week off from school in a week, so hopefully I can try it out soon.

I'll make sure to post here when I get around to it.

Edited by nicegamer7
my week off is in one week, not two

On 2/1/2020 at 10:37 AM, ishanka25 said:

did this work for you without any issue? :/

Just realized I didn't quote you... sorry. Look at the post above this one.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys.... I'm trying to figure out how to do a peripheral, in this case a desk with argb LEDs, connected in an USB port and controlled by Aura.

I saw some Arduino projects where changing it's USB firmware the computer recognize it as a hid. It'll be easy to Arduino to recognize the Aura codes, but how to do the Aura understand that the Arduino is a rgb device, like a keyboard or a mouse????

P.S. I'm a gigabyte motherboard user, but I think the solution is the same for any interface.