Western Digital launch a 14TB drive

ItsMitch
Just now, leadeater said:

Well our 4.5 racks of disks have yet to fall through the floor xD. Not using 60/90 bay chassis though only 24LFF (double depth) and 24SFF, does help we have reinforced steel floors.

Then you are not a Home Computer User.  Keep apples to apples, bro.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

My steam library is over 2TB though....

You are a collector. Nice hobby, I guess.

1 minute ago, Crusher Golfer said:

Gamers don't need more than a 500GB SSD.  Video producers Pro/AM need a primary drive of 500GB and a storage drive of 1TB (SSD of HDD).

Anything more is strictly for commercial enterprises.

i game and i need more than 1TB, some games are so big including mods and saves that they take a lot of space.

for example many graphically impressive games already need 50GB of space at least just for the game itself. Even BF1 and wolfenstein too.

So if you have a few games you would already fill up a 500GB drive (you do need to have free space for performance too).

24 minutes ago, Crusher Golfer said:

Not really, most games are rather large now. Doesn't take many to even hit 1TB, uninstalling them is far more inconvenient than paying a little extra for a bigger disk. 10 Modern games is around 500GB.

28 minutes ago, Crusher Golfer said:

This disk in question is literally an enterprise disk, this is not for home users so I am keeping apples to apples :). HGST is the business/enterprise subsidiary of Western Digital.

29 minutes ago, Crusher Golfer said:

No offence but plenty of gamers (as in, fairly typical enthusiasts - like those on this forum) have well over 100+ Steam Games, that can EASILY surpass 500GB worth of storage space.

Now, some might argue "Hey don't install them all". But why? Why bow to that limitation? If I feel the urge to do a KOTOR 2 replay, I sure as hell don't want to re-download it, install it, then play it. I want to just play it.

So, if large HDD's are cheap (I mean seriously a 2TB HDD is dirt cheap, and so is a 3TB or even 4TB one), why not just download and install all the games you own?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

33 minutes ago, Crusher Golfer said:

Im a home computer user, i just so happen to have my own file servers and other servers too and many different components.

Some of us actually use our computers for productive stuff other than just entertainment :P .

That huge disk size helps in a lot of cases. Most have families who some still want to watch tv, so having disk space to record videos is helpful, and also to download and convert disc videos too.

Since people game, games take a lot of space. Unless you're so young that you werent around when discs were common, some of us have many older games to store too.

I myself already have an external 8TB seagate drive i got for around £100 to store a lot of stuff not used often, not to mention having at least 2 sources for backups.

So this 14TB drive is helpful to many at home too. Its released for enterprise space first because they'll pay and work with WD on any bugs and things before WD brings it to consumer space.

Many ISPs suck so keeping your steam library with you is handy, doesnt matter if you're in the US, UK, EU or some random 3rd world country.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:04 PM, Crusher Golfer said:

Gamers don't need more than a 500GB SSD.

61004993.jpg

On 10/9/2017 at 9:06 PM, leadeater said:

My steam library is over 2TB though....

Mine is presently at 3.52 TB, without even factoring in my non-Steam games.  All my games combined total nearly 4 TB.  And even that doesn't factor in the disc images I've created of my various non-Steam, disc based games so I don't need to put in the physical disc (that's probably another 500 GB for them alone).  I've already ordered in an 8 TB to replace my 5 TB that they're currently installed on, because I'm down to 649 GB of free space on that drive.  500 GB would be wholly insufficient for my collection.

14TB!  Let's just put that in perspective.  The novel "War and Peace" by Tolstoy is 1,225 pages.  Written on those pages are 587,287 words.  If you took every individual word, typed it in Microsoft word (averages about 10Kb in size), and saved it to this hard drive; you would be able to fit  approx. 2,383 copies of War and Peace on this HDD.  Consider your mind officially BLOWN!

On 10/9/2017 at 10:04 PM, Crusher Golfer said:

Gamers don't need more than a 500GB SSD.  Video producers Pro/AM need a primary drive of 500GB and a storage drive of 1TB (SSD of HDD).

I have 4TB of storage for games and it's almost 70% full.

I have another (8x5TB) 30TB of NAS storage which is about 50% full.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 hours ago, tropton13 said:

14TB!  Let's just put that in perspective.  The novel "War and Peace" by Tolstoy is 1,225 pages.  Written on those pages are 587,287 words.  If you took every individual word, typed it in Microsoft word (averages about 10Kb in size), and saved it to this hard drive; you would be able to fit  approx. 2,383 copies of War and Peace on this HDD.  Consider your mind officially BLOWN!

I think you need to recheck your math......

*EDIT*

After closer examination, I see the problem.  You assumed saving each word in MS Word Docx format.  That's about the most inefficient method you could choose.  A simple txt file would be more appropriate, as each word would be just a few bytes in size (as opposed to the kilobytes needed for the formatting in doc/docx/rtf files).

Edited by Jito463
Clarification

On 10/9/2017 at 10:04 PM, Crusher Golfer said:

The newest game I bought is Forza Motorsports 7 and the game download (just the game not including any day one DLC and crap like that) was 99GB. so a 500GB drive is enough for 4 forza sized games (+ OS) or 9 GTA V sized games.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

On 10/12/2017 at 7:22 AM, Jito463 said:

I think you need to recheck your math......

*EDIT*

After closer examination, I see the problem.  You assumed saving each word in MS Word Docx format.  That's about the most inefficient method you could choose.  A simple txt file would be more appropriate, as each word would be just a few bytes in size (as opposed to the kilobytes needed for the formatting in doc/docx/rtf files).

I feel that you've missed the point...

2 minutes ago, tropton13 said:

I feel that you've missed the point...

Not really.  If your point was to show the capacity of the drive is huge, then your failure was already addressed in my edit.  If your point was to show that the drive's capacity wasn't that great, because of the number of copies of War and Peace that would fill it, then you failed because you attempted to show it using the most inefficient method possible of saving each word.

I didn't miss your point, I simply dismissed your initial premise (whichever of those two it may be) as faulty.

If there's some other point you were attempting to make that I failed to recognize, please feel free to enlighten me.

On 10/4/2017 at 11:38 AM, mynameisjuan said:

So much data to lose all at once

Thats what I'm thinking I saw on the unRAID forum that they are coming out with a 40TB drive by 2025 thats just a Mongolian cluster fuck for sure!

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

13 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Not really.  If your point was to show the capacity of the drive is huge, then your failure was already addressed in my edit.  If your point was to show that the drive's capacity wasn't that great, because of the number of copies of War and Peace that would fill it, then you failed because you attempted to show it using the most inefficient method possible of saving each word.

I didn't miss your point, I simply dismissed your initial premise (whichever of those two it may be) as faulty.

If there's some other point you were attempting to make that I failed to recognize, please feel free to enlighten me.

I have failed at nothing and you HAVE misunderstood my point.  Your "edit" assumes that my point was to store every word of the book in the most efficient way possible.  The hypothetical that I proposed was indeed, to show the massive size of the drive; and your suggestion of saving each word as a .txt (assuming that my original idea gave 2 craps about "efficiency") only strengthens my original statement.