Western Digital launch a 14TB drive

ItsMitch

Ultrastar Hs14

Western Digital has officially launched their own 14TB drives which is bloody bananas. It's as of posting this not for sale and it'll be sold by the HGST arm of Western Digital and it'll be primarily used by huge data servers.

Quote from The Inquirer. 

WESTERN DIGITAL has announced yet another hike in the capacity of its spindle drive range with a 14TB beast from B2B arm HGST.

The helium-filled (Helioseal 4th generation) 3.5in 7200RPM drive is aimed at the enterprise arena and will serve to offer cloud and hyperscale data centres even more capacity with less space.

"Over 70 per cent of the exabytes Western Digital ships into the capacity enterprise segment are on helium-based high capacity drives and continue to support customers with outstanding reliability, performance and value Quality of Service (QoS)," said Mark Grace, senior vice president of devices at Western Digital. 

I for one am happy that this is finally out but I dread to think the actual cost of this thing, the 12TB drive is around £600 in the UK and is hard to purchase. 

Sources: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3018506/western-digital-launches-a-whopping-14tb-hgst-helium-hard-drive  | http://www.techradar.com/news/this-is-the-worlds-biggest-hard-drive-and-it-can-store-14tb

Manufacture: http://www.hgst.com/products/hard-drives/ultrastar-hs14

Edited by SC2Mitch
Link added

7 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

bloody bananas

hey im actiually fine wtf you on about?... /s

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

... And here's me with my 4TB drives :$

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, huilun02 said:

Not priced for average joe because average joe doesn't need to have 14TB in the space of 1 drive.

I mean, Linus maybe

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

hey im actiually fine wtf you on about?... /s

Well you are split so i dunno, doesn't sound too healthy...

Anyway, it's nice that we see capacity increasing but i'm wondering how they are going to solve transfer speeds. The issue with drives like these is if one dies in a raid config or whatever it takes like a day to rebuild... (over 25 hours from 0 to 100% full if it can write at a constant 150MB/s)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

We're rapidly reaching the edge of practicality. If anything happens or you are using these as backups, reading 14 TB off of a hard disk will take days and may straight up break the drive.

6 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Now crank it to 15k rpm so transfer rates will be higher.

Still not really enough, and you'd be lowering its reliability.

12 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Anyway, it's nice that we see capacity increasing but i'm wondering how they are going to solve transfer speeds. The issue with drives like these is if one dies in a raid config or whatever it takes like a day to rebuild... (over 25 hours from 0 to 100% full if it can write at a constant 150MB/s)

The only real solution would be not using a hard disk, or at least spreading the load among multiple drives. Eventually they'll have to give up and just move to SSDs. Price isn't really a good selling point for these things anymore, given the size markup the price per GB for ssd storage is less than 10 times as much and when you factor in maintenance and practicality the difference is probably much lower in the long run. And if you really need massive storage on the cheap, you can buy tape storage, which is not faster but at least can be trusted to not break after a full read cycle.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The only real solution would be not using a hard disk, or at least spreading the load among multiple drives. Eventually they'll have to give up and just move to SSDs. Price isn't really a good selling point for these things anymore, given the size markup the price per GB for ssd storage is less than 10 times as much and when you factor in maintenance and practicality the difference is probably much lower in the long run. And if you really need massive storage on the cheap, you can buy tape storage, which is not faster but at least can be trusted to not break after a full read cycle.

Sadly SSD's got more expensive during the last few months instead of getting cheaper.

We are still far away from that :/

Imo they should stick with like 3-4TB drives and make them faster, no idea how but they should :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

28 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

... And here's me with my 4TB drives :$

Me with 3tb and a 5tb (close enough)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

IMO , this isn't interesting . This isn't HAMR or anything like it , being a technology to increase density . they're just adding more platters , being able to do so with helium . those tighter tolerances are what you get when technology matures.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

IMO , this isn't interesting . This isn't HAMR or anything like it , being a technology to increase density . they're just adding more platters , being able to do so with helium . those tighter tolerances are what you get when technology matures.

If HAMR has any of the pitfalls of SMR then you don't actually want it, SMR HDDs are epic slow for writes.

Just now, leadeater said:

If HAMR has any of the pitfalls of SMR then you don't actually want it, SMR HDDs are epic slow for writes.

SMR is only an extension current PMR technologies . HAMR is a completely new way of arranging cells on the platter and require different read/write mechanisms . But my point was that this doesn't actually push technology forward . SMR , despite it's drawbacks , was a novel approach .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

SMR is only an extension current PMR technologies . HAMR is a completely new way of arranging cells on the platter and require different read/write mechanisms . But my point was that this doesn't actually push technology forward . SMR , despite it's drawbacks , was a novel approach .

SMR is still very different to PMR, SMR uses overlapping tracks and when you need to write you have to read the data off the effected tracks then re-write hence terrible. SMR didn't really add much capacity at all and brought a whole bunch of draw backs with it, understandably it's not very popular. If HAMR has to do anything similar with track re-writing it'll only be used for write once read many just like SMR is.

There isn't enough information out there that I have found to know if HAMR is like that or not, HDMR from the sound of it definitely isn't'

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Not priced for average joe because average joe doesn't need to have 14TB in the space of 1 drive.

Don't try and tell me what I don't need!

I'm an independant human who don't need no overlord! *snap* *snap* *snap*

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

16 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Don't try and tell me what I don't need!

I'm an independant human who don't need no overlord! *snap* *snap* *snap*

No%20you%20didnt_zps4kvnglo2.jpg

I wish they'd just kill off hard drives already to concentrate/ramp up production of, on the arguably superior in nearly every way, SSDs.

I mean come on, if Seagate's 60TB SSD that they showed last year is anything to go by, hard drives are doomed to die.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

*Prepares to backup 14TB of data*

*Error! Cannot copy data, need a additional 100MB of space. Reduce size and try again*

*Shit!*

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Says you.  This would replace all four of my HDD's with a few extra TB to spare.  Gimme, gimme.  I'll take 2 in RAID 1, thanks.

7 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Me with 3tb and a 5tb (close enough)

And me with my 5TB, 3TB, 2TB and 1TB (plus my 240GB SSD).  I believe it's high time I phase out that 1TB, now that I think of it.

And here I am wih my 2x8TB, 1x5TB, 3x4TB, 4x3TB and 4x2TB...

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS