GOOGLE EVENT MEGA THREAD

11 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

But the Pixel 2 XL is cheaper.. at least $50 cheaper than the Note 8 and definitely $150 cheaper than the iPhone X.

Bargain implies value. Not absolute price. I could find a flip phone for $50 but I'm not calling that a bargain.

9 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Hype

Meh, it's just an overpriced Chromebook. xD

Pixel 2

Meh, it's just an overpriced Nexus xD

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

2 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Lol people gave Apple shit for the EarPods and no one blinks at the pixel buds which cost the same. Not saying the EarPods are good as hey look pretty stupid and probably sound bad for $159

I guess the "Pixel Buds" look slightly less stupid in your ear? idk

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Y'all complaining about a headphone jack when you have fuckin' options.

Those options are reducing and that's scary. 

Just now, coolkingler1 said:

Those options are reducing and that's scary. 

We're talking Apple and a Google phone that currently lacks headphone jacks out of hundreds out there in the open.

Surely you'll find something.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

11 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

We're talking Apple and a Google phone that currently lacks headphone jacks out of hundreds out there in the open.

Surely you'll find something.

No -_- HTC U11, Moto Z2 Force. LG and Samsung only have to bend and there is almost no choice for the mainstream brand flagships anymore. You could take a budget device yes. Or Oneplus but they are still meh imo. 

5 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

No -_- HTC U11, Moto Z2 Force. LG and Samsung only have to bend and there is almost no choice for the mainstream brand flagships anymore. You could take a budget device yes. Or Oneplus but they are still meh imo. 

Or you know... just get new headphones with USB-C or bluetooth.

As much as i love bashing apple for stuff (or google for that matter), but removing the only left over analog connection is not a major issue. It was needed and people will get over it once they move on to a better connection that offers more options for better sound.

Right now it is a transition. One that hurts for a while since we don't have all the great headphones with usb-c yet, but we will get them and won't look back.

23 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

Or you know... just get new headphones with USB-C or bluetooth.

As much as i love bashing apple for stuff (or google for that matter), but removing the only left over analog connection is not a major issue. It was needed and people will get over it once they move on to a better connection that offers more options for better sound.

It was absolutely not needed and I vehemently disagree with the decision. It's a toxic business practice imo and stays at that, I can not see it as anything more than a filthy cashgrab, which for all I can see it is. Sure they're corporations and need to make money, but there is a line and removing the headphone jack, a standard which worked just fine for not too much space at all, just crosses that. 

Any 'benefits' are far outweighed by the disadvantages and I will never not despise this practice. 

That it was the only analog connection isn't a good argument, what does that have to do anything? 

'going wireless' is not a good argument, people who wanted wireless always had the option, now you're just taking away choice. Or well, you can use a USB C adapter but they make extra by selling them to people who lost/broke theirs that came in the box, sickening practice you see. 

Being thin is not a good argument, phones are already plenty thin, it's fine already. 

On top of that the vast majority hates this, but taking a taking a stance of 'we know what's best for you' as a company (and I don't mean just Apple) is just stupid, just to force the removal of a standard that had no reason at all to be removed. 

Does it bother anyone else that the cameras on the 2/XL 2 are flipped? 

Also, is that a camera bump I see?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They included a dongle in the package if you need the jack. It's not a problem. Just finished watching Unbox Therapy's video on it.

10 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

It was needed and people will get over it once they move on to a better connection that offers more options for better sound.

Removing DVI-A, VGA, Composite, etc. was needed as analogue was the limiting factor to higher end display technology becoming cheaper, and the end device could run off of a digital signal.

Whereas with audio out, there is no high end that is being limited in any capacity to become cheaper. The end device, the speaker, cannot work correctly on a digital signal. Somewhere, there needs to be a DAC, and it makes far more sense to only have one device that requires batteries or to make the DAC a standardized thing amongst the vast majority of users to the device models you're selling.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Does it bother anyone else that the cameras on the 2/XL 2 are flipped? 

It certainly is interesting however I don't think I would care unless I see them together in public. Now what bothers me with the 5-inch variant is the position of the camera relative to the top and bottom of the glass backing. I would not have cared if the glass backing wasn't there but it is. At least with the XL, it is fairly centered.

I don't see the removal of the headphone jack as a bold leap into the future, but nor do I see this as some kind of egregious sin that ruins the Pixel 2 line forever.

Folks: there's an adapter in the box.  Leave it attached to your favorite set of headphones and you'll probably be fine.  About the only practical difference is that you can't listen while you charge.  If that's an issue for you, that's alright -- just don't act as if it's the end of the world, because it isn't.

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Leave it attached to your favorite set of headphones and you'll probably be fine.

Google could have left it on their paperweight and it would probably have been fine too.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I do actually like the Pixel 2 XL (not the standard one but the bigger one).

Shame it has no jack though. That sours the deal for me when it comes to being a daily driver. But 3 years of OS upgrades is actually real nice. Every other Android OEM should try to aim for that.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The Pixel 2's back kinda looks like an upside down first gen iPhone...

tEhhGdl.jpg

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Google could have left it on their paperweight and it would probably have been fine too.

I have you on ignore for I don't know what reason, but I agree with you though.

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Maybe, but it's hard to say without a look at the innards.  Either way: unless it really, truly interferes with your ability to use your headphones, don't rule out the Pixels -- it isn't a calamity.  Relax.

Just now, coolkingler1 said:

I have you on ignore for I don't know what reason, but I agree with you though.

Argument over something stupid, and something I didn't consider important enough to dig around for.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Commodus said:

don't rule out the Pixels -- it isn't a calamity.

I've all but already ruled them out from everything I've seen from the first Pixel, the Pixel C, the Nexus Lineup, and the Google's Motorola era.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Ground said:

The Pixel 2's back kinda looks like an upside down first gen iPhone...

-snipped-

That would be for the "Black & White" XL model, but yeah it certainly looks that way. At least all the other color options are not opposite colors. Gotta say I like their color naming scheme though.

If there is no headphone jack, they should have some sort of port to replace it otherwise it's just a phone with no headphone jack and nothing else.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Just now, rattacko123 said:

they should have some sort of port to replace it

Isn't that why they were talking about USB Type C?