Poster Imposed Thread Locking?

handymanshandle

I don't know if it's been suggested and there's no way for it to be implemented but I think for like threads and status updates that reach a certain age or a have found the right answer that the poster should be able to toggle a thread lock on their own thread or status update without needing a mod to do it and it possibly being locked forever.

What do you guys think of that idea?

Send semi useful to me at least

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, Damascus said:

Just ask a mod, though I do like the idea in theory 

I mean there's always that but like I kinda think it be easier if the OP could lock their thread if it's purpose has been fulfilled or if a status update is from a few years ago.

This has been asked a million times before and has always been declined.

Same for people removing their own posts: these are things they only want moderators to be able to do.

You can mark your thread as solved, but you can't lock it yourself because useful information can always be added.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Same for people removing their own posts: these are things they only want moderators to be able to do.

You can mark your thread as solved, but you can't lock it yourself because useful information can always be added.

Yeah that's what I wasn't sure about I don't care about deleting threads but restricting them in some way. 

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Can you tell I don't usually pay attention to feature suggestions

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Though necro posting gets irritating.

I think I’m guilty of that three times ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I know forums that automatically lock threads after 2 months of inactivity, that could be implemented.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Can you tell I don't usually pay attention to feature suggestions

:-]

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Although this does give you greater control of your post, but only moderators have control of these functions. Although, this would be a great idea, it wouldnt be necessary because lots of other useful information could be added in the future or more follow up questions could be asked within that particular post.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

@Ryan_Vickers *cough* someone necrod a status of mine from like July 2016

Thats not as bad as necroing a topic though, because it bumps it back to the top of the subforum

I wonder how often a "necro" is because someone found the thread in a google search, made an account, and replied to it?

And yeah, I think sometimes there's a time for bringing up old threads, and sometimes it's better to start new ones.  I have several threads I've posted on here, for example, that I've gotten busy and haven't had time to reply to the people after my last reply.  I might eventually go back and reply to some of them, depending on things like is the question/topic still relevant to me, etc. :)

I've also noticed different forums have different rules for some things.  For example, one forum might say if you have a question on this, make your own topic, and another says ask your question in this thread. (Also maybe the existing thread could be like 10-15 years old, or fairly recent like within the time frame of 2 or 3 generations of CPU / GPU releases. :P)

9 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Thats not as bad as necroing a topic though, because it bumps it back to the top of the subforum

I think I necro’d an off topic thread about Taylor Swift vs. $500,000 and Ryan locked it afterwards ?????

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think I necro’d an off topic thread about Taylor Swift vs. $500,000 and Ryan locked it afterwards ?????

how do you even do that

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

12 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I wonder how often a "necro" is because someone found the thread in a google search, made an account, and replied to it?

Weekly. Maybe even daily.

Main issue is trolling and cyber bullying. Give users control and some will misuse it and ruin it for everyone. That's how internet works.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

how do you even do that

It was the weekend and I randomly typed “Taylor Swift” in the search bar and voila, it lead me to the thread from 2015. 

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

does this apply to ones own post? for instance a thread in build logs

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

4 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

No. And also no, if post provides new info. But imo if you post into 2yo troubleshooting thread of any sort, chances that you have any realistically helpful info is slim.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

No. And also no, if post provides new info. But imo if you post into 2yo troubleshooting thread of any sort, chances that you have any realistically helpful info is slim.

ah cool, i some how managed to forget about my [re]buildlog lol

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

just ask for hackintosh and it will be done :P

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

It would very rarely be useful though. If a topic has got out of hand, report one of the offending posts and the topic can be dealt with as appropriate; if it's been necroed report the new post.

HTTP/2 203

10 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

Build logs are generally fine. But when someone bumps a post from like 2015 about their mouse not working... Thats when we've got a problem.

2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Build logs are generally fine. But when someone bumps a post from like 2015 about their mouse not working... Thats when we've got a problem.

I like software question necros. Suggest solution for problem that probably has been fixed 6mo after question was asked. And necro comes 1.5 years after that. Or the many, many, many, many, many replies to Community Standards question "What is LMGTFY?"

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv