General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

20 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

the sky

hmm-sa-the-floor-here-is-made-out-of-flo

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

well, I have acquired a second X5560 for my server but now I need a fan, any suggestions for Proliant fans?

And who ever said you needed two of the same heatsink ?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

any suggestions for Proliant fans?

Which one(s) do you need? I have a Proliant ML330 G6 that I can pull one or two fans out if they'll fit in your case.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 8/3/2019 at 7:46 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Which one(s) do you need? I have a Proliant ML330 G6 that I can pull one or two fans out if they'll fit in your case.

It uses this wide white connector and I figure it's pretty likely I'd have to fabricate a bracket, but I found this little white jumper that looks like it fakes a fan presence so maybe I'll just get a single wire and clip it in

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

36 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

It uses this wide white connector and I figure it's pretty likely I'd have to fabricate a bracket, but I found this little white jumper that looks like it fakes a fan presence so maybe I'll just get a single wire and clip it in

I meant what size fan lol.

If my ML330 G6 fans will fit in your Proliant case and connect to the motherboard, I'd be happy to send them your way.

I'll snap some pics later and you can have a peek.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

On 8/3/2019 at 8:36 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I meant what size fan lol.

If my ML330 G6 fans will fit in your Proliant case and connect to the motherboard, I'd be happy to send them your way.

I'll snap some pics later and you can have a peek.

I'd love to take a look in case cheesing a jumper doesn't pan out

The bracket might fit and might not, the 330 doesn't have an entirely different chassis but from google it appears to have a different fan layout for the front and that means different bracket spacing.

Primary PC:

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I'd love to take a look in case cheesing a jumper doesn't pan out

The bracket might fit and might not, the 330 doesn't have an entirely different chassis but from google it appears to have a different fan layout for the front and that means different bracket spacing.

I'll shoot you a DM via Discord and you can have a look. The connector is the same from what I can tell.

Bug thanks to @Crunchy Dragon for this fan

20190807_172837.thumb.jpg.ecfe1e4b2aab12fe5d8481c451f5df61.jpg

I have an "unsupported memory population" but it still boots normally?

all 24GB detected and both CPUs.

Primary PC:

21 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Bug thanks to @Crunchy Dragon for this fan

I have an "unsupported memory configuration" but it still boots normally?

all 24GB detected and both CPUs.

IT WORKS! That's awesome bro!

On 7/16/2019 at 10:36 PM, Slayer3032 said:

Finally got a proper NVMe and removed all the sata devices from my build. Picked up a XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, can't say I notice a difference at all over an SM951 but I don't have to run two older drives now  I only get like 1700/1700mbps out of reads and writes but the random reads, writes and latency is really what matters.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the SMART data not working at all, my previous SM951 worked perfectly but this drive looks like this. Has anyone else seen this before? The drive seems fine so far and I've already filled it with 900gb of files which I still need to trim down. Maybe it should get exchanged?

pY524LH.png

I feel really dumb now, CrystalDiskInfo seems to have just needed an update.

3OLPrix.png

Hey, I'm new here, but I've been messing with X58 for the past few years, thought I'd introduce myself, currently running an X5660 at 4.2GHz (it's just a bad bin, my board is capable, my cpu is not capable of more than 4.2GHz without more than 1.45v) have a pair of X5670's in the post, hoping one is a good bin for around 4.6GHz+ but if not that just means I'll run 1.45v+ daily and just fall back on the second X5670 when i inevitably degrade the other, but here's what i scored with my X5660 and my vega 56, note the cpu voltage was around 1.6v for 4.6GHz, fine in short bursts but it hurts to shove that much voltage into the thing, but it's surprising what these 10 year old cpus can pump out: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/20015161

current rig: Xeon W-3175X at 4.7GHz all core 1.25v and 3200MHz cache, EVGA SR3 Dark, 48gb of tridentZ 4133 Cl19 (A0 PCB) running 4000MHz 16 16 16 34 1T, 6900XT aorus master with an EK waterblock, 1440mm custom loop, corsair HX1500i, 2x256gb 7600P raid 0(boot), 6.4tb samsung PMPM1725 for games and general storage, Lian Li V3000 plus (not super duper happy with this in all honesty), main monitor is a 27" koorui 1440p 240hz thing, and then 3 secondary 1920x1200 60hz panels one left one right and one above

16 minutes ago, the pudding said:

Hey, I'm new here, but I've been messing with X58 for the past few years, thought I'd introduce myself, currently running an X5660 at 4.2GHz (it's just a bad bin, my board is capable, my cpu is not capable of more than 4.2GHz without more than 1.45v) have a pair of X5670's in the post, hoping one is a good bin for around 4.6GHz+ but if not that just means I'll run 1.45v+ daily and just fall back on the second X5670 when i inevitably degrade the other, but here's what i scored with my X5660 and my vega 56, note the cpu voltage was around 1.6v for 4.6GHz, fine in short bursts but it hurts to shove that much voltage into the thing, but it's surprising what these 10 year old cpus can pump out: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/20015161

Welcome, we're glad to have you!

So, I'm having trouble overclocking my Xeon X5650. I'm using a MSI X58 Big Bang Xpower with bios v1.7, 16GB of mixed ram clocked at 1333mhz. The issue I'm having is that I can't adjust the uncore ratio. It changes when I adjust the memory ratio but that's part of the problem. Since these xeons aren't unlocked. adjusting the blck frequency changes everything so it makes it difficult to keep the dram frequency as close to 1333mhz as possible while keeping the uncore frequency reasonable. Can anyone help? I just want to get the X5650 upto 4Ghz to it runs smoother.

13 hours ago, Troika said:

So, I'm having trouble overclocking my Xeon X5650. I'm using a MSI X58 Big Bang Xpower with bios v1.7, 16GB of mixed ram clocked at 1333mhz. The issue I'm having is that I can't adjust the uncore ratio. It changes when I adjust the memory ratio but that's part of the problem. Since these xeons aren't unlocked. adjusting the blck frequency changes everything so it makes it difficult to keep the dram frequency as close to 1333mhz as possible while keeping the uncore frequency reasonable. Can anyone help? I just want to get the X5650 upto 4Ghz to it runs smoother.

Gosh, I haven't been on my X58 rig in ages so I'm a bit foggy now. IIRC the uncore and memory ratios change independantly though, it's only the BLCK that changes others. And for CPU OCing, I'd always set the memory ratio to the lowest so the RAM is running as slow as possible, and leave it on auto timings, don't start tweaking the RAM unless you already know what your kit does (I know my 1600Mhz CL9 kit will do 2000-2100Mhz 10-11-11-31 for example) or have the CPU stable. You want to get your core and uncore as high as possible, IIRC the uncore usually maxes out at around 3.8-4Ghz (so a 38-40 multiplier on a 100 BLCK, but once you up that you have to lower the uncore multi). Tech Yes City has a video on X58 OCing as well, I'd recommend watching that again for a refresher (I'd do it right now but I'm at work). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

mah boi:

Spoiler

IMG_4864.thumb.jpg.45561b00a1c4e6bf633ba0ce46812029.jpg

copy/pasted specs from my sig (lol):

Spoiler

i7 5820K on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

Need to get a CableMod kit, 5960X, and maybe redo a line or two before this is 100% done. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Gosh, I haven't been on my X58 rig in ages so I'm a bit foggy now. IIRC the uncore and memory ratios change independantly though, it's only the BLCK that changes others. And for CPU OCing, I'd always set the memory ratio to the lowest so the RAM is running as slow as possible, and leave it on auto timings, don't start tweaking the RAM unless you already know what your kit does (I know my 1600Mhz CL9 kit will do 2000-2100Mhz 10-11-11-31 for example) or have the CPU stable. You want to get your core and uncore as high as possible, IIRC the uncore usually maxes out at around 3.8-4Ghz (so a 38-40 multiplier on a 100 BLCK, but once you up that you have to lower the uncore multi). Tech Yes City has a video on X58 OCing as well, I'd recommend watching that again for a refresher (I'd do it right now but I'm at work). 

I've seen Brian's video several times, the issue is he's able to directly change the uncore frequency on his board but its greyed out for me on the MSI X58 Big Bang Xpower. From what I've been able to find about this board is that its an issue it has with Xeons. Using regular i7s, the uncore ratio is unlocked.

4 minutes ago, Troika said:

I've seen Brian's video several times, the issue is he's able to directly change the uncore frequency on his board but its greyed out for me on the MSI X58 Big Bang Xpower. From what I've been able to find about this board is that its an issue it has with Xeons. Using regular i7s, the uncore ratio is unlocked.

Sure it's the mobo and not the CPU? IIRC the X5650 is locked down a bit more than the other Xeons. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Sure it's the mobo and not the CPU? IIRC the X5650 is locked down a bit more than the other Xeons. 

I've been poking around on the X58 thread on overclock.net and other people have been able to change the uncore ratio using the X5650 with different boards. Funny enough, it doesn't seem like anyone else is using that particular board with xeons there. Either this board is much rarer than I thought or people don't like socketing xeons into it. xD

12 minutes ago, Troika said:

I've been poking around on the X58 thread on overclock.net and other people have been able to change the uncore ratio using the X5650 with different boards. Funny enough, it doesn't seem like anyone else is using that particular board with xeons there. Either this board is much rarer than I thought or people don't like socketing xeons into it. xD

I know the MSI boards aren't very common at all, most people went ASUS or Gigabyte. The EVGA boards are uncommon but very very good, the MSI boards even more rare in the wild but the Big Bang got excellent reviews. Funny it wouldn't play nice with Xeons, maybe it specifically wants a single QPI chip? Most Xeons other than a few low power ones or the W ones are dual QPI. You have the advantage that you know it's Westmere-EP compatible though, so you could get a cheaper single-QPI chip. For my V1.0 Classified boards, I either do a hardware mod to make it Westmere-EP compatible, or have to find a 32nm i7 (overpriced) or the one Gulftown W series Xeon (also overpriced), the others are either 45nm Gulftown or Westmere-EP. 

Main PC 

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I know the MSI boards aren't very common at all, most people went ASUS or Gigabyte. The EVGA boards are uncommon but very very good, the MSI boards even more rare in the wild but the Big Bang got excellent reviews. Funny it wouldn't play nice with Xeons, maybe it specifically wants a single QPI chip? Most Xeons other than a few low power ones or the W ones are dual QPI. You have the advantage that you know it's Westmere-EP compatible though, so you could get a cheaper single-QPI chip. For my V1.0 Classified boards, I either do a hardware mod to make it Westmere-EP compatible, or have to find a 32nm i7 (overpriced) or the one Gulftown W series Xeon (also overpriced), the others are either 45nm Gulftown or Westmere-EP. 

Its possible that its because of QPI. The default is 6.4GT but I dropped it down to 4.8GT because of blck being set to 180. Brian recommends dropping Uncore to 3.0Ghz, or as close to it as you can, while getting a stable core clock. Same with memory before overclocking them. I might just pick up a i7 970 for the sake of simplicity, Its only $10 more than a X5680 but I'll have full access to everything but the multiplier.

And yeah, Gigabyte and Asus are the most common. EVGA is underrated, the X58-SLI board is very excellent and a surprising bargain compared to other X58 boards since it regularly trades for under $90. It has fantastic overclocking support, looks great, and the v1.1 or v1.2 both support xeons. The v1.0 doesn't unless you do a mod for it.

1 minute ago, Troika said:

Its possible that its because of QPI. The default is 6.4GT but I dropped it down to 4.8GT because of blck being set to 180. Brian recommends dropping Uncore to 3.0Ghz, or as close to it as you can, while getting a stable core clock. Same with memory before overclocking them. I might just pick up a i7 970 for the sake of simplicity, Its only $10 more than a X5680 but I'll have full access to everything but the multiplier.

Seems like a good option, it's also a 6c/12t 32nm chip (always avoid 45nm ones, they're hot, eat masses of voltage and don't OC well for it). And being an i7 (also Gulftown) you know it should be 100% compatible. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Seems like a good option, it's also a 6c/12t 32nm chip (always avoid 45nm ones, they're hot, eat masses of voltage and don't OC well for it). And being an i7 (also Gulftown) you know it should be 100% compatible. 

Well, I'm no stranger to that. My Phenom II X6 1090T chugs vcore at 1.55V. Xp Then again, it is at 4.2Ghz which is just shy of the maximum those chips can hit under air or water. Sub-ambient like dice, a chiller or LN2 would be needed to get any more out of it. Or a Canadian winter as Timmy Joe shows in his video at 4.4Ghz.

1 hour ago, Troika said:

Earlier microcodes won't post if you change the uncore on Westmeres, no idea if Gulftown is the same but they do use the same microcode AFAIK.

You might have to patch a newer microcode into an earlier bios if they decided to just disable it on later revisions.

Yeah the MSI boards are historically a bit of a pain to work with if using xeons, I've run into that issue before, I just ended up selling the board and getting another one so im not sure how you'd go about fixing it really, I think it was a rampage 2 gene I moved to but this was a while ago so I'm not too sure.

current rig: Xeon W-3175X at 4.7GHz all core 1.25v and 3200MHz cache, EVGA SR3 Dark, 48gb of tridentZ 4133 Cl19 (A0 PCB) running 4000MHz 16 16 16 34 1T, 6900XT aorus master with an EK waterblock, 1440mm custom loop, corsair HX1500i, 2x256gb 7600P raid 0(boot), 6.4tb samsung PMPM1725 for games and general storage, Lian Li V3000 plus (not super duper happy with this in all honesty), main monitor is a 27" koorui 1440p 240hz thing, and then 3 secondary 1920x1200 60hz panels one left one right and one above

With that said if you're running less than 1600MHz on the ram you should be able to just run uncore at the stock 2x without any issues, what's your uncore voltage at? (i forget what the uncore voltage is called on msi boards sorry, I've mainly always used asus boards so it'd be "QPI/DRAM core" on an asus board)