General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

Guides for OC:

This is the best one I've found. I highly highly highly recommend making an offline backup, as you can see this is from the wayback machine and not an actual site link. Using the method in this link, with some outside resources on the minutiae of the voltages, is how I got a stable 4.7 GHz. It took a lot of time and testing.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170425082606/http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

Also excellent, with links.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/overclocking-the-x58-a-practical-guide.108526/

Help: 

Is the Xeon X5675 compatible with the OP's motherboard (couldn't find much information about it)?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

11 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Help: 

Is the Xeon X5675 compatible with the OP's motherboard (couldn't find much information about it)?

Does not look like it: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DX58SO.pdf

It does support the Extreme Edition i7-9xx chips though.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Well later this year. I will temperary not be running X58. The reason is because if AMD Ryzen 9 3950X lives up to its promises, will replace X58 with that until i can afford a new case and all the other things i need for a complete new pc. Until then i will be running Ryzen in my old build. Just a heads up.

On 7/5/2019 at 2:06 PM, r2724r16 said:

Help: 

I've upgraded from an i7-920 to a Xeon W3690 and it was worth the upgrade. eBay had a few for sale. I bought mine from keystone memory (I think that was the name of the seller)

System Specs

Motherboard: ASRock X58 Deluxe (bios 3.0, most recent) 

CPU: Intell Xeon W3690 (3.6GHz) 

RAM: 12gb DDR3 (3x2gb g-skill 1033 and 3x2gb Patriot 1033)

GPU: PowerColor RX580 8gb

PSU: Corsair TX 750w (80+bronze)

Storage: Adata 260gb SSD in SATA (Boot Drive) 

WD Black 750gb HDD (game storage)

Case: Antec 900 

Finally got a proper NVMe and removed all the sata devices from my build. Picked up a XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, can't say I notice a difference at all over an SM951 but I don't have to run two older drives now  I only get like 1700/1700mbps out of reads and writes but the random reads, writes and latency is really what matters.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the SMART data not working at all, my previous SM951 worked perfectly but this drive looks like this. Has anyone else seen this before? The drive seems fine so far and I've already filled it with 900gb of files which I still need to trim down. Maybe it should get exchanged?

pY524LH.png

Question for X58 + beefy GPU owners: how's VR? I'm looking into buying a Valve Index, and am curious whether an OC'd CPU + 1080 or higher GPU'd platform would provide a good experience.

33 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Question for X58 + beefy GPU owners: how's VR? I'm looking into buying a Valve Index, and am curious whether an OC'd CPU + 1080 or higher GPU'd platform would provide a good experience.

VR is mostly GPU-intensive, so provided you don't have a CPU bottleneck, you should be fine for VR on X58 as far as I know.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Well now both of my X58 builds have nvme drives lol, my home server has a nice SM951 to use instead of just a Team Group Lite 120gb sata drive. It's even better since it doesn't need to boot from it anyways. Unfortunately it turned the server into a blinking green/red christmas box but some tape or vicegrips should fix that next time I reboot it. Can't complain for $4.49 via amazon prime though.

H0d6rMr.jpg

AtjyUqr.jpgbPYvwco.jpg

Welcome to the X99 Xeon/i7 thread!

Think of the older X58 Xeon/i7 thread for some context as to what this one is for.

If you don't want to click links, this is essentially a megathread for discussing Intel X99 hardware.

This is mostly run by me and @Zando Bob(a major perpetrator of the X58 thread).

Feel free to discuss the platform, ask questions, get advice, post deals, and show off your X99 systems!

It's great to see there's now an X99 discussion thread :) 

I plan to set up a 5820K test bench soon, so I'll make sure to post some pictures and benchmarks when I can.

I'll kick off the discussion with my modded PowerMac X99 rig, the build log of which you can view here.

I've been really happy with X99 so far.

I think my next plan is to upgrade the CPU, possibly to an i7-5960X or Xeon equivalent, whichever is cheaper at the time I decide to spend more money on this machine.

Just now, XR6 said:

I plan to set up a 5820K test bench soon, so I'll make sure to post some pictures and benchmarks when I can.

That'd be awesome! The 5820K is a really solid CPU, it performs about the same as a Ryzen 5 1600.

Other than more room for expansion on X99 over AM4, most X99 boards also support ThunderBolt 2 add-in cards for all the I/O. A lot of the lower end Xeons are pretty cheap too, I would recommend looking for the 5820K's Xeon cousin first, and then compare the prices and features.

I forget if the i7s support ECC, but I know a lot, if not all of, the X99 boards support it.

Awwww hell yeah! This weekend I should get my rig cleaned up all nice and pretty and snap some pics. May even finally move my custom loop over into it. Right now I'm running a 5820K at 1.32v, 4.4Ghz, on a Noctua NH-D15S. Have 32GB DDR4 3200 in quad channel, run it with a 1660 Ti right now (I'm only on 1080p and it runs a lot cooler and quieter than my RVII, lol), and a 960 Evo and WD Blue M.2 drives in a PCIe card. Full specs should be in my sig, just updated it today. 

Here's an older build with my RVII and in an Air 540, the no-frills looks of the X99 Classified is ?

Spoiler

IMG_0081.thumb.JPG.5386ae11de97f50fc41ece3adc3ae55d.JPG

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'll kick off the discussion with my modded PowerMac X99 rig, the build log of which you can view here.

I've been really happy with X99 so far.

I think my next plan is to upgrade the CPU, possibly to an i7-5960X or Xeon equivalent, whichever is cheaper at the time I decide to spend more money on this machine.

Same here, the 5960X is perpetually on my mental wishlist. That or a 6950X, you lose a good chunk of OC headroom but you get that epic 10c/12t.

2 minutes ago, XR6 said:

Highly recommend it, my 5820K is pretty dang good so far. It's just hot, I can't push any more voltage than 1.32v or so before it starts hitting the mid to high 90s in Prime95. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

run it with a 1660 Ti right now

I mentioned this in my build log, but I could have gone with a 1660Ti. The catch was my 1070 was 20% better for the same price :P

I'm curious, can you actually fit a GPU in the top x16 slot, or is the cooler just too big? I have 0.5cm between the back of my GPU and my CPU heatsink.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I mentioned this in my build log, but I could have gone with a 1660Ti. The catch was my 1070 was 20% better for the same price :P

I'm curious, can you actually fit a GPU in the top x16 slot, or is the cooler just too big? I have 0.5cm between the back of my GPU and my CPU heatsink.

I can't, it's placed too close to the CPU socket on that motherboard, I'd need my GPUs at a hella jank angle, breaking both the GPU and the PCIe slot over time. 

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That'd be awesome! The 5820K is a really solid CPU, it performs about the same as a Ryzen 5 1600.

Other than more room for expansion on X99 over AM4, most X99 boards also support ThunderBolt 2 add-in cards for all the I/O. A lot of the lower end Xeons are pretty cheap too, I would recommend looking for the 5820K's Xeon cousin first, and then compare the prices and features.

I forget if the i7s support ECC, but I know a lot, if not all of, the X99 boards support it.

Ooooo forgot about the TB2 cards and yus the X99 xeons are epic. I've seen some 12-14c lads for not much at all given what they are. With lower GPU and RAM prices now, you could build a 12+ core, quad channel RAM, Vega 56 or 64 rendering box for not too much at all. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

I can't, it's placed too close to the CPU socket on that motherboard, I'd need my GPUs at a hella jank angle, breaking both the GPU and the PCIe slot over time.

ooooof. That both sucks and is hilarious at the same time.

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Ooooo forgot about the TB2 cards and yus the X99 xeons are epic. I've seen some 12-14c lads for not much at all given what they are. With lower GPU and RAM prices now, you could build a 12+ core, quad channel RAM, Vega 56 or 64 rendering box for not too much at all. 

Don't tempt me, I've already spent enough money and time on X99 as it is...

My next project will probably be a router, just need to finalize a budget and parts list. It's a bit tricky due to the need for a modem and the placement of my current network hub.

Prior to switching to a new platform I had attempted to install a Intel Xeon E5-2698v3 into my MSI X99A SLI PLUS motherboard as a preliminary test prior to putting it in my new Supermicro MBD-X10DRI-T. Something that extreme went about as well as you might expect it.

It didn't, lol. BSOD city.

Strangest thing is after I pulled it and put the old CPU back in all of a sudden my boot times went from about 20 secs to well over 2 mins. It would just hang on a black screen forever before suddenly responding again and continuing with boot. Something changed and my motherboard hated it. Had to reset CMOS. Seemed to fix the issue.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Prior to switching to a new platform I had attempted to install a Intel Xeon E5-2698v3 into my MSI X99A SLI PLUS motherboard as a preliminary test prior to putting it in my new Supermicro MBD-X10DRI-T. Something that extreme went about as well as you might expect it.

It didn't, lol. BSOD city.

Strangest thing is after I pulled it and put the old CPU back in all of a sudden my boot times went from about 20 secs to well over 2 mins. It would just hang on a black screen forever before suddenly responding again and continuing with boot. Something changed and my motherboard hated it. Had to reset CMOS. Seemed to fix the issue.

Interesting. I've never known motherboards to hang up on things like that, especially if the BIOS is supported.

That's almost the equivalent of turning Windows on and off to fix a software issue xD

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

ooooof. That both sucks and is hilarious at the same time.

Don't tempt me, I've already spent enough money and time on X99 as it is...

My next project will probably be a router, just need to finalize a budget and parts list. It's a bit tricky due to the need for a modem and the placement of my current network hub.

If I rendered I'd be tempting myself, I have extra cases and an X99 Micro 2 lying around...

also speaking of the 5960X, if anyone wants to cut one open for science I can dig mine out and eventually slap it in the mail. Doesn't work, had 0 luck getting it to boot in my X99 Classy but my 5820K is fine (the 5960X didn't even heat up like CPUs without a cooler should) so I'm pretty confident it's dead. It's a very solid and pretty paperweight though. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

also speaking of the 5960X, if anyone wants to cut one open for science I can dig mine out and eventually slap it in the mail. Doesn't work, had 0 luck getting it to boot in my X99 Classy but my 5820K is fine (the 5960X didn't even heat up like CPUs without a cooler should) so I'm pretty confident it's dead. It's a very solid and pretty paperweight though. 

The keychain to end all keychains...

13 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Same here, the 5960X is perpetually on my mental wishlist. That or a 6950X, you lose a good chunk of OC headroom but you get that epic 10c/12t. 

5960X has also been on my mental wishlist, I've wanted one since it got released.

It's still way too expensive, it goes for £400-500 ($500-620 USD) where I live. Maybe some day I will own one.

Highly recommend it, my 5820K is pretty dang good so far. It's just hot, I can't push any more voltage than 1.32v or so before it starts hitting the mid to high 90s in Prime95. 

I'm definitely going to invest in a good cooler then. I think I'll go for air cooling, I'd rather not risk a leak. Noctua NH-D14/D15 and be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 are the most likely options right now.

Right now I'm running a 5820K at 1.32v, 4.4Ghz, on a Noctua NH-D15S. Have 32GB DDR4 3200 in quad channel, run it with a 1660 Ti right now (I'm only on 1080p and it runs a lot cooler and quieter than my RVII, lol), and a 960 Evo and WD Blue M.2 drives in a PCIe card. Full specs should be in my sig, just updated it today.  

That's an awesome rig, it looks great :)

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Interesting. I've never known motherboards to hang up on things like that, especially if the BIOS is supported.

That's almost the equivalent of turning Windows on and off to fix a software issue xD

Need to figure out what's up with my HDDs, with them all plugged in Windows can't see them and the PC takes 5-10 minutes to boot, whereas with them unplugged I'm sitting at the login screen in 5 seconds flat. 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The keychain to end all keychains...

Please no, my keychain is massive already. I'd probably get arrested for carrying around what's basically a very short morning star (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_star_(weapon)) if I put it on a lanyard too. X99 lads are satisfyingly chunky CPUs, even more so than my beloved X58 lads. 

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

X99 lads are satisfyingly chunky CPUs, even more so than my beloved X58 lads. 

I think it's pretty neat how LGA 2011 chips are actually rectangular, not a lot of people realize that. I think the heatspreaders help avoid bringing attention to that, I didn't know they were rectangular until handling one personally, even with all the videos Linus and other people have made with them.

Kind of neat. X58 was never an interesting shape. Triangle CPUs when?

For the X58 users who are thinking of X99, there is still a thread for you:

Cheers!

:)