Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zando Bob

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

4 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

$300 CAD for this PC: 

Thinking of throwing in a X5675 (which is compatible with the motherboard according to ASUS), swapping out the video card for something better, and putting in a proper CPU cooler. 

This will be a general purpose PC for things like schoolwork and gaming.

Good deal or not?

EDIT: Doesn't come with any storage. So I'll throw in one of the many HDDs lying around at home, and I'll buy a MX500 SSD. 

For $300 CAD it's quite a nice PC. As @Zando Bob said, the PSU and motherboard are the main things that are driving the price. 

If I were you I would go for it, it's a good deal.

If you're replying to someone then quote/tag them, otherwise they won't see your response.

Useful links: Community Standards | PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier ListX99 Xeon/i7 Discussion

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (N960F)

CPU: Samsung Exynos 9810

RAM: 6GB

GPU: Mali-G72 MP18

Storage: 128GB internal storage + 128GB Samsung microSD card

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

5 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

$300 CAD for this PC: 

Thinking of throwing in a X5675 (which is compatible with the motherboard according to ASUS), swapping out the video card for something better, and putting in a proper CPU cooler. 

This will be a general purpose PC for things like schoolwork and gaming.

Good deal or not?

EDIT: Doesn't come with any storage. So I'll throw in one of the many HDDs lying around at home, and I'll buy a MX500 SSD. 

I am not much into pricing, but yeah swap that I7 out with that Xeon and get a proper CPU cooler and overclock the crap out of it. Xeon tends to go pretty high. Well above 4 GHZ more or less any xeon can do. I have a I7 980X that is more or less the same CPU die running 4.4 GHz on all cores and replace that old GPU to a used GTX 1080 and you have a pretty desent gaming pc. But be aware that games these days is beginning to be very demanding and cause of that i have exspirence for the first time this year X58 cut not handle on the highest settings. That will be Metro Exodus and Far Cry New Dawn. These games i had to go down to high. Before that i cut run any game at ultra and still keep FPS over 60 FPS, but it seems X58 best days now are over if games like these two game i told about keep being this demanding or more. X58 will beforce to run games on medium to even keep FPS over 60 FPS. Just a friendly warning, so you dont go out and spend a lot of money of this old platform.

Also dont buy a cheap air cooler for these chips. They get pretty hot then they operate over 4 GHz, so dont cheap out on the cooler throw. So a cooler like cooler master hyper 212 evo is not suficient for these chips, if you want then clock high. I use a Noctua NH-D14 with 3 fans on my I7 980X to keep it below 80 C at 4.4 GHz. Just as an exsample for how good a cooler you will need.

Also when you OC. Also make sure memory clock is as high as possible and the uncore or ULCK clock on asus boards are set to about 3600 MHz. As that will help you with higher FPS, but more importent keep minimum FPS higher and lag spikes down in the more demanding games.

Else have fun. X58 is fun to mess with, as its harder to overclock than most others systems. But then you get the hang of it, you really feel the difference from stock to a well optimized overclock.

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Intelfreak said:

Else have fun. X58 is fun to mess with, as its harder to overclock than most others systems. But then you get the hang of it, you really feel the difference from stock to a well optimized overclock.

^^^ Exactly. It's very much an enthusiast platform, if you're not into tweaking, benching, testing, tweaking more, going round and round, X58 won't perform well for you. Stock performance is pretty eh, it comes into it's own at around 4.2-4.5+ GHz on the core, and like Intelfreak said as well, faster RAM and uncore helps a lot too. There's a balance to it, you sometimes you need to up the BLCK to get a stable RAM speed, but then lower the CPU core multiplier otherwise the CPU gets unstable, and maybe you need to drop or raise the uncore multiplier. It's extremely satisfying to get a solid OC and there's a massive, instantly noticeable difference in almost everything you do, even in base windows 10 tweaking the RAM makes everything a slight bit snappier. 

X58 Madlads: X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: X99 Xeon/i7 discussion

Current Rig: 

Spoiler

i7 5820K - 5960X arriving Tuesday -  on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

Folding Rig:

Spoiler

E5-4610 v3 on a Noctua NH-L12S - may swap 5820K in here and run an AIO to see how well they do with hot chips so I can prove a point to a friend (or I guess disprove myself?)
EVGA X99 Micro2
16GB (4x4GB) EVGA SuperSC 2800Mhz DDR4
EVGA 1660 Ti XC Ultra
EVGA 1050 Ti FTW

120GB TCSunbow boot SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, 1TB random laptop drive, a 1TB laptop drive, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda drives
EVGA 1000W G3
Corsair Air 540 (Black)

Legacy shoutouts cuz muh nostalgia won't let me delete them:

Spoiler

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, LGA1366 Xeons, and X chipsets: @WhisperingKnickers.

Finally blew through my tube of MX-4 I've had for a few years thanks to that Crosshair IV Extreme/Phenom X6 build I've been working with. Bought some HT-H2 since it's an improved paste over NT-H1 and there were some slight increases in performance on larger IHS cpus like LGA2011 and probably TR4 too. So if anyone's wondering how it does on LGA1366, I found it to perform exactly the same or maybe spread the heat a little differently.

Arctic MX-4

OpenHardwareMonitor_GevmSlFPTt.png.4558439864ac32cafdecafc15b928663.png

Noctua NT-H2

OpenHardwareMonitor_nYAhhakqAn.png.0f71ed622cd03afd70424379fa441e24.png

Also my thread #10 will always crash after a while in the Small FFTs on P95. I could probably up my vcore a little more but I'm already at 1.415v, this thing has been very stable as of late so I'm inclined to not touch it.

Oh and since there's no pictures of anything X58 on this page yet.

20190605_125820.thumb.jpg.4b2d92c5234875f9035677a643000566.jpg

IMG-1620.thumb.JPG.d0d52bee98289e33e40284781dccdafb.JPG

Sorry for the potato picture quality; I'll take better pictures with my iPhone when I find time.

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V Motherboard: ASUS P6X58-E WS (BCLK: 201 MHz) CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 RAM: Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce® GTX 770 DirectCU II (Core Clock: 1250 MHz, Memory Clock: 3505 MHz) SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB (Windows 10 Pro) HDD: WD Green 3.5" 1TB (7.2K RPM) PSU: Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: Intake: 1x Dynamic X2 GP-12, Exhaust: 1x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitor: Samsung S24D390 23.6" 1080p 60Hz 250 nit PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Racing Wheel: Logitech G27 & Six-Speed Shifter Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones (Charcoal)

Primary Laptop:

Spoiler

Model: Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2019 (Silver, 2x TB3 Ports) CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-8257U @ 1.4 GHz RAM: LPDDR3-2133 (8GB) GPU: Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 645 SSD: NVME PCIe 256GB Display: 13.3" 2560x1600 60Hz 500 nit IPS dbrand Skins: Trackpad (White Marble) & Palmrest (Hyperblack Titanium) Audio: Beats Studio3 Wireless Headphones (Midnight Black)

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ Exactly. It's very much an enthusiast platform, if you're not into tweaking, benching, testing, tweaking more, going round and round, X58 won't perform well for you. Stock performance is pretty eh, it comes into it's own at around 4.2-4.5+ GHz on the core, and like Intelfreak said as well, faster RAM and uncore helps a lot too. There's a balance to it, you sometimes you need to up the BLCK to get a stable RAM speed, but then lower the CPU core multiplier otherwise the CPU gets unstable, and maybe you need to drop or raise the uncore multiplier. It's extremely satisfying to get a solid OC and there's a massive, instantly noticeable difference in almost everything you do, even in base windows 10 tweaking the RAM makes everything a slight bit snappier. 

Yeah. Just as zando bob said. Its tweaking tweating testing and then some more tweaking. But the end results are so satisfying.

Stock performance is rather bad in modern games and what you exspect from a platform that came out over 10 years ago (release date whas november 2008). But when overclock, they can still shine.

So people misses image of x58 pc's. Well i have posted mine before, but here she is again with some ghetto mods as well. First my old setup with an i7 920 and then my current with i7 980X.

I7 920 (sorry about the cable mess, back then i just ditten care about looks. It gets better with the i7 980X). I mage and some benchmark screenshots.

https://m.imgur.com/a/vyTFIpK

https://m.imgur.com/a/WqD1iHK

I7 980X image + benchmark screenshots.

76hF3Oa_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

https://m.imgur.com/a/NLahrg9

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/10037039

https://m.imgur.com/a/uHjbbMg

@Intelfreak You run a 950 Pro on X58, right? Does it run over PCIe or act like a SATA card? Have a guy saying NVMe drives cannot work on X58 with a PCIe add-in card, but I know a decent chunk of peeps run them. Also how much of a hassle are they to get running? Any perf gains over SATA drives (I assume not much in OS boot, but in benches and such)? 

Current Rig: 

Spoiler

EVGA X99 Classified
Corsair RM1000i

EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

Folding Rig:

Spoiler

E5-4610 v3 on a Noctua NH-L12S - may swap 5820K in here and run an AIO to see how well they do with hot chips so I can prove a point to a friend (or I guess disprove myself?)
EVGA X99 Micro2
EVGA 1660 Ti XC Ultra
EVGA 1050 Ti FTW

120GB TCSunbow boot SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, 1TB random laptop drive, a 1TB laptop drive, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda drives
EVGA 1000W G3
Corsair Air 540 (Black)

Spoiler

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, LGA1366 Xeons, and X chipsets: @WhisperingKnickers.

37 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

@Intelfreak You run a 950 Pro on X58, right? Does it run over PCIe or act like a SATA card? Have a guy saying NVMe drives cannot work on X58 with a PCIe add-in card, but I know a decent chunk of peeps run them. Also how much of a hassle are they to get running? Any perf gains over SATA drives (I assume not much in OS boot, but in benches and such)? 

I run a non-AHCI AHCI part number 128gb SM951 since they apparently exist. It's often considered crippled due it it's size compared to the larger capacity drives but the performance gain over an old Intel 535 SSD was pretty noticeable for me. I imagine something halfway decent like a decently sized PM981 would be very noticeable. The increase in boot speeds were roughly negated from DUET but if you spam the keyboard to skip the 5 second timer it's still faster.

Getting it to boot via DUET took benchmarking a few flash drives to find my fastest ones, clicking buttons about a whole 3-4 times with the DUET GUI tool, and maybe a minute or two. Then you just install windows to the drive and select the USB to boot from in bios.

It's far easier than installing windows and using the windows media creation tool and while waiting on that pile of junk, you can make a cup of coffee, setup DUET and drink it before you'll even be able to install windows yet lol.

eiLWQy2CccJTa6a.png.f3d8432f3c287e9da122801e207c88fa.png

31 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I used to run 950 pro on x58, it is night and day compare to normal sata ssd, (my board was sata2 not sata3, therefore increase in speed was around 5 times compare to sata2. However it does not give you any additional gains in benchmarks.

due to legacy bios support you can plug it in any pci-e slot with any pci-e to m.2 adapter. It will show up in bios as a normal ssd, after that you can either do a clean windows install or clone your existing os drive using samsung migration software

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: gtx660 (will be upgraded soon) Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) WD green 120gb MacOS, PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Scythe Big Shuriken 3

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Normal M.2 NVMe SSD can not boot on X58 with out third party software like DUET or a moddet bios. So if you exsample stick a Samsung 970 EVO in a PCI to M.2 adaptor in a PCI slot. You cant boot or see it in bios. You will only can see it in windows and use it as a storage drive. So in that part your friend is some what right, as you can not use it as a boot drive, but only for storage.

But as said before software like DUET can more or less get any NVMe m.2 SSD bootable on X58. The down side is that it needs the third party software. There is a guide for NVMe with DUET on asus X58 here. That might be help ful for you.

https://audiocricket.com/2016/12/31/booting-samsung-sm961-on-asus-p6t-se-mainboard/

More speciefik with the Samsung 950 PRO. Samsung left a little gift in that SSD known as legacy mode or OPT-ROM (Samsung 960/970 EVO/PRO does not have this option build in). That makes the Samsung 950 PRO bootable in legacy bios as the bios sees it as a IDE drive. But it only works when the sata controller is set to AHCI (raid is no go). So this specifik SSD can fully work on X58 or other chipsæt/motherboard that support boot from PCI express with out third party software or bios mod. all throw it seems some motherboards arrent happy with the 950 PRO. EVGA boards seems to fail while ASUS boards they work just fine and gigabyte as well. So not all boards can handle the SSD out of box and yes the SSD runs via a m.2 to PCIe adaptor.

I use this adaptor for my SSD as it has a heatsink to cool the SSD. M.2 NVMe SSD can get pretty toasty when under high stress and not properly cooled.

https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3400

Performance: Game load there are not much difference from sata to NVMe ssd and benchmark does not benefit from it unless the benchmark has a specifik overall pc performance tjeck like userbenchmark and Passmark performance test. So benchmark like 3dmark firestrike/time spy will not benefit from it in score, only in load time maybe. But in windows overall use, yes there are a difference that can be felt. Boot is faster, software loads faster and overall the pc just feels faster and more snappy and ready to go than a sata SSD. I am not going back to sata SSD as a boot drive. Deffently not. Note that most M.2 to PCIe adaptor runs X4 and by that can get a speed up to 1700 MB/s while 950 PRO is rated at up to 2200 MB/s, the point is that because of PCIe gen 2, you are speed limited to around 1700 MB/s.

DIxafC7.jpg

I made two video´s in bios, boot and shutdown. Seconds video just show a faster boot after i optimized bios and windows.

Also i made this thread some time ago over at TPU.com. There might also be some help full stuff as bofh i and others later in the thread share som info.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/m-2-ssd-on-old-x58-system-with-m-2-pci-adaptor-can-it-work.231611/

Well this is all i have to say about it. But yeah as a boot drive. M.2 NVMe SSD on X58 is pretty neat, but for game load and benchmark, that´s very limited what you get there.

Got some free 8GB sticks of DDR3, two sticks of Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz out of a quad channel kit but one was dead and neither had heatsinks and two sticks of Kingston low profile 1600mhz CL11 value ram, all of them are dual rank so triple channel works. Stuck them into my home server to upgrade my G.Skill Pi Series 3x2GB that I had in it along side 3x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws. Now I have 36GB of ram in it lol, now I can give 16GB to a Debian VM to not use any of it.

My buddy also picked up a EVGA X58 E758-TR Rev 1.0 board, can you just short E539? Do you need to remove E538 and short E539 or can I just short E539 and not touch E538? Or does the resistor need to be moved?

https://forums.evga.com/download.axd?file=0;2274659&filename=Westmere Mod_S.jpg

Just sold p6t with x5680 and old thermaltake 850w psu for $160, not the best deal but was a cash in hand sale

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: gtx660 (will be upgraded soon) Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) WD green 120gb MacOS, PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Scythe Big Shuriken 3

15 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

I want to get a pair of X5690's and a new GPU for the T7500. But the OEM PSU might not be able to handle a beefy card for all I know. Currently using a GTX 1060 6GB. Any suggestions?

I'd aim for somewhere in the area of 700-750W.

3 hours ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

I want to get a pair of X5690's and a new GPU for the T7500. But the OEM PSU might not be able to handle a beefy card for all I know. Currently using a GTX 1060 6GB. Any suggestions?

Ebay seems to suggest it has a 1100w PSU, if it doesn't handle two 150w CPUs and a 200w GPU I'd be impressed they can get away with ripping off customers. I'd go for a 750-850w 80+ Gold depending on whatever is on sale, any higher end modular PSU should have at least two 8 pin EPS connectors. I definitely wouldn't call a 1060 beefy, Fermis and Vegas would easily use twice as much power.

I'd also make sure that it doesn't use any proprietary connectors or wiring though before you buy.

3 hours ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

It seems to have a 1100W PSU so it's more than enough.

LKNbfhj.png

IVzv9BL.png

http://i.dell.com/sites/content/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/Precision-T7500-T5500-Technical-Guide.pdf

Intel Xeon X5670 @ 4.44GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 250gb Samsung SSD, 4tb and 2x 2tb HDD, Fractal Design Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon X5677 @ 3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12gb DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240gb SSD, 1tb HDD

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz , NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M, 250GB Samsung SSD, 14" 1920x1080 IPS

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

PC 3: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8gb DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120gb SSD, 2tb, 1tb and 500gb HDD

PC 4: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8gb DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, 32gb SSD and 500gb HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8gb DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 4tb HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2gb DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32gb SSD and 80gb HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x AMD Opteron 2218, HP XW9400, 12gb DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

@Crunchy Dragon @Slayer3032 @Pasi123 Not to cause confusion, but this is what I was referring to:

Are they saying per-card, or for all cards? Also, the GPUs that they listed are all workstation cards from 2011-2014. The expected power draw for those cards sat at around 250W for something like a Quadro 6000 (Fermi) or AMD FirePro V7900. Though the PSU is stated to be 1100W, so you are correct on that part:

On 6/5/2019 at 5:05 PM, Zando Bob said:

Looks decent for sure, the PSU and mobo are the main things driving the price. Air 540 isn't that expensive new, the i7 is basically useless other than tinkering, and DDR3 is cheap. 

i run x58 asus p6t pro ws with an x5670, runs fine and oc's 4 ghz + no issues

15 hours ago, andreweddy said:

i run x58 asus p6t pro ws with an x5670, runs fine and oc's 4 ghz + no issues

X5670 is an excellent CPU. They're about half what X5675s usually are (normally $30, X5690s are $60, I got my '70 for only $14), and OC pretty well, they're only a slightly worse bin. At 1.45v mine does 4.54Ghz solid, 4.74Ghz will pass CB15 but not CB20. Need to boot up my bench and fiddle around again tbh. 

Current Rig: 

Spoiler

EVGA X99 Classified
Corsair RM1000i

Folding Rig:

Spoiler

EVGA X99 Micro2
EVGA 1660 Ti XC Ultra
EVGA 1050 Ti FTW

EVGA 1000W G3
Corsair Air 540 (Black)

Spoiler

On 6/14/2019 at 7:23 AM, Zando Bob said:

X5670 is an excellent CPU. They're about half what X5675s usually are (normally $30, X5690s are $60, I got my '70 for only $14), and OC pretty well, they're only a slightly worse bin. At 1.45v mine does 4.54Ghz solid, 4.74Ghz will pass CB15 but not CB20. Need to boot up my bench and fiddle around again tbh. 

X5670's are definitely a really good buy right now. My buddy who bought the EVGA board asked me what cpu to get for his HTPC build with it. They were $12.99 last night and had a $3 off $3.01 or more coupon but when he logged into a new ebay account it gave him a $5 off code so he got one for $7.99 lol. His board also came a C0 stepping i7 920 which is perfect for updating X58 boards, still need to do the QPI mod though.

I'm really curious to see how it compares up against his 6600k using his GTX 970 in both but I think he's going to need a much better cooler than the Arctic Freezer 7 that came with it.

40 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

I'm really curious to see how it compares up against his 6600k using his GTX 970 in both but I think he's going to need a much better cooler than the Arctic Freezer 7 that came with it.

I'm not sure but I'd guess that cooler is good enough to cool the X5670 at least at 4.0GHz 1.3v just fine.

Intel Xeon X5670 @ 4.44GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 250gb Samsung SSD, 4tb and 2x 2tb HDD, Fractal Design Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon X5677 @ 3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12gb DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240gb SSD, 1tb HDD

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz , NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M, 250GB Samsung SSD, 14" 1920x1080 IPS

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

PC 3: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8gb DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120gb SSD, 2tb, 1tb and 500gb HDD

PC 4: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8gb DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, 32gb SSD and 500gb HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8gb DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 4tb HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2gb DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32gb SSD and 80gb HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x AMD Opteron 2218, HP XW9400, 12gb DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

It won't come anywhere near a 6600K in gaming. The IPC is way lower on those Xeons. I did extensive benchmarking a little while ago. Let me try to paste a comparison between a 6700K and a X5690. It was a pretty good bunch of benchmarks. I did a lot of testing with a lot of CPU/GPU combos and overclocking. The Xeons are barely half as fast as the Skylake CPUs in single core operations.

Benchmarks Spreadsheet.ods

11 minutes ago, Xa3phod said:

The Xeons are barely half as fast as the Skylake CPUs in single core operations.

My Xeon X5675 and Core i7 6700 get the same Cinebench R20 multi-threaded score. Don't remember single-threaded scores though.

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V Motherboard: ASUS P6X58-E WS (BCLK: 201 MHz) CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 RAM: Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce® GTX 770 DirectCU II (Core Clock: 1250 MHz, Memory Clock: 3505 MHz) SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB (Windows 10 Pro) HDD: WD Green 3.5" 1TB (7.2K RPM) PSU: Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: Intake: 1x Dynamic X2 GP-12, Exhaust: 1x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitor: Samsung S24D390 23.6" 1080p 60Hz 250 nit PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Racing Wheel: Logitech G27 & Six-Speed Shifter Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones (Charcoal)

Primary Laptop:

Spoiler

Model: Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2019 (Silver, 2x TB3 Ports) CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-8257U @ 1.4 GHz RAM: LPDDR3-2133 (8GB) GPU: Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 645 SSD: NVME PCIe 256GB Display: 13.3" 2560x1600 60Hz 500 nit IPS dbrand Skins: Trackpad (White Marble) & Palmrest (Hyperblack Titanium) Audio: Beats Studio3 Wireless Headphones (Midnight Black)

8 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

My Xeon X5675 and Core i7 6700 get the same Cinebench R20 multi-threaded score. Don't remember single-threaded scores though.

Can't compare multi-threaded. My X5690 is 6 core 12 thread while my 6700K is 4 core 8 thread.

Even with 6 cores and 12 threads these old xeons lack ipc compare to modern cpu’s. Even stock 6700 runs most games better than x56xx chips oc’d.