Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zando Bob

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Not really. Gotta get it set up then, need to figure out some proper CPU cooler mounts (mounting is weird on the SR-2 due to the stock backplates being made for server coolers). Last I had them running, one worked with two CPUs but the second RAM bank wasn't recognized, need to re-test that to make sure it's not the CPUs or RAM or one of the bazillion switches on the board. The seller ran it fine with two quad cores so the board should be bueno. Second one was bought broken for $99, it will boot with one CPU though. If I ever have the free money and one of the boards is working 100% I'll get a case and build a custom loop, I do have the VRM/chipset blocks already. For now I have a motherboard tray and a board of plywood, lol. 

😍

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

if you pay, sure

those are so damn expensive here

Tell me about it. Cost just as much as a new motherboard. It´s madness how X58 boards still holding prices after over 10 years.

Just the board i have ASUS P6X58D Premium cost just as much as a cheaper new board on ebay. While you can get CPU´s nearly thrown at you, boards cost a crap toon of money.

Just check, even my old i7 980X can still give a pretty penny on ebay.

How can over 10 year old hardware still cost so much, Its madness.

Also for those that might want to have a last look at my old junk. can se it here. Cause in the coming months it will be taken a part and temporary replaced by a AMD Ryzen 9 3950X with motherboard. Its only temporary until I can afford a case and some other stuff to my new main rig after I get 3950X. When that is done. X58 will be up and running again as a mix of backup, retro gamer and guest gamer pc.

https://imgur.com/a/NLahrg9

44 minutes ago, Intelfreak said:

Tell me about it. Cost just as much as a new motherboard. It´s madness how X58 boards still holding prices after over 10 years.

Just the board i have ASUS P6X58D Premium cost just as much as a cheaper new board on ebay. While you can get CPU´s nearly thrown at you, boards cost a crap toon of money.

Just check, even my old i7 980X can still give a pretty penny on ebay.

How can over 10 year old hardware still cost so much, Its madness.

Also for those that might want to have a last look at my old junk. can se it here. Cause in the coming months it will be taken a part and temporary replaced by a AMD Ryzen 9 3950X with motherboard. Its only temporary until I can afford a case and some other stuff to my new main rig after I get 3950X. When that is done. X58 will be up and running again as a mix of backup, retro gamer and guest gamer pc.

https://imgur.com/a/NLahrg9

Your noctua fans must cost you a fortune)

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z370i, RAM:16gb corsair rgb 3600, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2), samsung 860evo 500gb. HDD - 6tb, Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

6 minutes ago, MaratM said:

Your noctua fans must cost you a fortune)

Well i replaced all fans last year, as the old once where worn out after nearly 10 years of use.

Not all fans are from Noctua. On cpu its Noctua industrial IPPC fan 3000 RPM models and the 60 MM are more the comon models.

The two fans on chipset is from noiseblocker.

The rest of the case fans are Corsair ML 120/140 MM.

But yeah it whas not a cheap upgrade. But i wanted to convert from voltage regulated fans speed to PWM and while i dont like water cooling, i am not going on compromise about cooling and airflow. Its needed when i push the system hard like getting the old CPU to 4.75 GHz.

5 minutes ago, Intelfreak said:

Well i replaced all fans last year, as the old once where worn out after nearly 10 years of use.

Not all fans are from Noctua. On cpu its Noctua industrial IPPC fan 3000 RPM models and the 60 MM are more the comon models.

The two fans on chipset is from noiseblocker.

The rest of the case fans are Corsair ML 120/140 MM.

But yeah it whas not a cheap upgrade. But i wanted to convert from voltage regulated fans speed to PWM and while i dont like water cooling, i am not going on compromise about cooling and airflow. Its needed when i push the system hard like getting the old CPU to 4.75 GHz.

I was able to get 4.6 on my 5680 on water, but that was about 2 years ago, now i switched to 8700k and it does the job very nicely at 4,9 24/7 with very nice temps

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z370i, RAM:16gb corsair rgb 3600, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2), samsung 860evo 500gb. HDD - 6tb, Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

7 minutes ago, MaratM said:

I was able to get 4.6 on my 5680 on water, but that was about 2 years ago, now i switched to 8700k and it does the job very nicely at 4,9 24/7 with very nice temps

4.6 GHz is not so rare on the good xeons with proper cooling. I manage 4.75 GHz my I7 980X on air. Se below. 4.75 GHz is benchmark only off cause as it needs around 1.55 volts for 4.75 GHz.

apkm4vp.jpg

EhPlqDB.jpg

8mfQwZI.jpg