General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

9 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I just watched the old NCIX tech tips video on X58 overclocking video and..... hoooooo boy its nothing like x68 or x79. This is going to be a cliff of a learning curve. Right now I've got a 6 heat pipe 92mm heatsink on it with a high rpm ball bearing fan of some sort. This whole system as is save for the power supply came out of a medical computer and I've put no money into the build so far. This weekend I'm pulling a case I got in a bundle out of storage, and I have an EVGA 750 watt power supply for it.

Quick googling will show that a 970 will work with latest BIOS- so thats what I'm going to take care of tonight, and then I'll order either the w3690 or the i7 970 after the bios is up to date.

I'll get the xeon if they overclock just the same as the i7s do. How far do I want to push it? On the 970 if that's what I get I'd like to do 3.8 or 4 Ghz, on W3690 I'd like to do 4.3

The W3690 is about $90 on ebay and the i7 970 is about the same but as far as I can tell the W3690 is an i7 990X with a different sticker- so if the xeons aren't locked down in any way for overclocking I'd much rather get the xeon.

Yep, I don't know of a single X58 Xeon that's locked. If your board supports dual QPI link CPUs, go for an X5675. Those are usually the best binned 6c/12t Xeons, along with the X5890 but that's usually overpriced. They're usually slightly better binned i7s with different base clock speeds and multipliers. If you get something like an X5650 with a lower multiplier you have to rely more on the BLCK to up clocks, vice versa for ones with higher multipliers. I forget the multiplier on the X5650, IIRC mine maxed at 20 or something, my i7 950 and higher clocked Xeons go to 23 or so, then you up the BLCK and such for moar GHz. X5675 is pretty much the best price/performance CPU you can get. the W3670 should be a good choice too if your board doesn't support dual-QPI Xeons (X and E ones), the W ones are literally just i7s but usually cheaper. I got mine for $40, so not that bad at all. Can't wait to see how it OCs tonight. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Good to know. Googleing around doesn't seem to show the X series xeons as supported for this motherboard so I'm probably going to get a W3690

Bois seem to run X series Xeons on them: 

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1635374-overclocking-help-xeon-x5660-msi-x58-pro-e-mobo.html

Though apparently they don't OC as well as the E series ones, IDK about the Ws but they're just an i7 branded as a Xeon so I assume they'd OC the same as any 6 core i7. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 hours ago, Dreadnought IX said:

I found this combo, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R + i7 930 for $100. I'm planning to swap the cpu to Xeon X5650/5670/5675, and OC it to 4+GHz. Is it a good mobo for overclocking?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-20#ov

Yep. I have that board with an X5675 and have gotten 4.7ghz stable on an AIO liquid cooler (i.e., no custom loop).

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

Oddly enough it came out of a medical computer but I won’t be elaborating on that any further.

Stealing from hospitals?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

@Crunchy Dragon What I will say is that this computer led a very VERY interesting life before I yoinked it. What it was being used for was automated CAD/CAM. Needless to say its woefully underpowered for what it was doing. The company that sells the whole ecosystem designed them to go by model year and not by actual specs, which is fine, but the previous systems were i7 920s and 250GTS's and holy balls. If THIS computer was as slow as it was for the software they were running I don't even want to know how it was on the 250 GTS and the 920, let alone the model before that one with the Core 2 Quad and 8800 GTS. AFAIK last I checked the current systems that company was pumping out are X99 and have a Vega 56. much much faster.

I have a GTS 250, I wouldn't dare run anything more than a display off of it in this day and age.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Part of me wants to leave the 450 GTS in it and the other part of me wants to put a 290X I have sitting around in it. 

I'd roll with the 290X personally.

That's what I'm thinking. I like blower style cards better anyway.

Agreed.

Although most of AMD's blower cards don't look that good...

AMD's Vega 64 Limited Edition, and Vega Frontier Edition coolers are some of the nicest I've ever seen though. I had a Vega FE before, freaking gorgeous. @Troika has it now, I have a Radeon VII (using my 1080 Ti rn though since the assassin's creed games crash with my RVII for some reason, will move the RVII back once I finish my custom open air build). 

Main PC 

I was running a 580 SLI system for a while open air and loved it. Had custom bios all done up. If I had more space in my room I'd ne very tempted to do 580 sli again with this X58 system. Would be nice.

oooo that'd be nice. I'd love to SLI some classic cards on a rig that's not my main and just fiddle with them. I tried SLI 1080s and they never really played well with my games, other than Battlefront 2015 which is probably the most well made game I've ever played for just performing well on all sorts of hardware. Even aaaalmost got it running on a laptop i5's iGPU once, couldn't get a steady 30fps though.

Main PC 

9 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@bcredeur97 and I have systems within margin of error- 3960X's at 4.3Ghz and 1080 Ti's. His is a tripple fan cooler and mine is a founders. We got within a few points of eachother with the Unigen Superposition benchmark at max 4k settings. His vram is better and my core is better.

I can confirm this. His is def better though considering how hard I worked for the scores I got and iirc he just kinda tried a few things and was able to beat it slightly pretty easily.

I do like how quiet my EVGA cooler is though.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Yeah you were fiddling with gpuboost curve. I kinda just maxed all the fans in my system, pulled the side panel and opened my window- kept moving the slider up. Had to let the card cool down to 31*C between each run though or it would throttle. That was making me chuckle.

Was totally sandbagging the entire time. I had the winning score like three crashes in advance until you took another 20 min to beat me by like- 20 points or something like that after I had already buttoned up my rig and shot the window. Super interesting how much better your vram is.

I also had my side panel off and a box fan XD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Goody. I'll stay away from the X series xeons and just nab one of the 3690s. Ballin with dat extreme edition on a budget.

If you're scared about a X series not working, try a E5649. They're a multiplier locked westmere with 2 QPI's for $8.99 shipped on ebay, functionally the same as any X series. UD3R's are pretty common boards and I'm sure there's hundreds of westmeres running on them just fine. You'll probably have better luck trying to bin yourself a good overclocker out of X5675's for the same price as the later production cpus tend to do better.

I get 4.6ghz@1.4v 200x23 out of my X5675 on my X58A-UD5 which if I recall correctly has the same power phases since I have the Rev.1 board. The Gigabyte labels are just glued to the tops of the heatsinks, if you want a little better VRM cooling they should come off with some effort too.

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Oh and repasting the north/southbridge heatsinks. That shit is gonna be crusty. However, the heatsinks on this MSI mobo are very nice and large with lots of fins. That's something I really dont like about modern motherboards, yeah the big heatsinks are good and all, but they're just lumps of metal. No surface area. I'd be tempted to pull them off and take a band saw to them and make a bunch of little thin cuts almost all the way through a lot of them.

It's really sad that companies can't make functional northbridge and VRM heatsinks anymore.

If the VRM design overall isn't garbage, the heatsink design tends to be. Makes finding and choosing a good board a lot tougher than most of us would like.

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Whoops. Just paid $70 for a W3690. I'm not trying to go for competitive overclocking so much as have a decently quick x58 system. 

We'll see what happens. Supposed to be here by next week so I'll have some fun tomorrow slapping the system together and then next week I'll upgrade the cpu. I don't know if I'll have any time tonight but if I do I'll see if I can even find any of the settings in the BIOS that are related to the NCIX X58 OC video. 

Oh and repasting the north/southbridge heatsinks. That shit is gonna be crusty. However, the heatsinks on this MSI mobo are very nice and large with lots of fins. That's something I really dont like about modern motherboards, yeah the big heatsinks are good and all, but they're just lumps of metal. No surface area. I'd be tempted to pull them off and take a band saw to them and make a bunch of little thin cuts almost all the way through a lot of them.

Facts, most X58 mobos have good heatsinks. My XL-ATX and EATX EVGA boards actually have freaking beefy Northbridge heatsinks with fans (my EATX's fan is missing tho), and they're got proper finned VRM heatsinks too. The MSI Big Bang board I had had fins as well, but I didn't them as much as the more traditional heat pipe + fins on the ASUS Rampage III Formula. 

As far as OC videos go, Tech Yes City has one I'll bet is a lot more recent: 

Main PC 

Large oof. Apparently the W3670 is Westmere-EP whereas the i7 970 is Gulftown, both are 32nm, same clocks, everything. But my V1.0 Classified boards won't work with it unless I short two sets of two tiny pins, but I can't figure out how the hell to get them soldered. Guess I head to Lowe's to get a smaller soldering iron? Or probs Hobby Lobby if they're open, they'd have teenier ones.

Main PC 

57 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@Zando Bob the W3690 is a gulftown processor according to Intel Ark. 

but the W3670 is Westmere. Even though its also in the same W36xx sku. This being my first time in the X58 world, Intel seems like they were all over the place. 

45 and 32nm i7s, two flavors of Xeon, and like 3 or 4 different archetectures. 

Yep, it's really weird. Assumed the W3670 would be the same as the i7 970 due to having the same clocks and both being 32nm, but no. Then weirdly the W3690 is the same as the i7s? Rather confusing, lol. Intel has never really had a clean lineup though.

Main PC 

Should be able to push to 3.9Ghz or so at 1.4v, that’s what my i7 950 did. 

Main PC 

So sad I killed my x58 board last Feb when my AIO emptied all over it.

I just couldn’t get it back and had no parts to see what was broken.

My fault really for not changing out the AIO as aircoolers got better and cheaper. One AIO for 9 years is NOT a good idea.

I got that i7 920 and MoBo in Jan 2009 and it ran at 3.8 for 9 years!

Still makes me sad it ended that way.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

So base clock OC’s the PCIe frequency too right?

BCLK changes everything.

Oooooo 528 in cinebench at 3.9GHz/1.4v w/vdroop, vs 388 at stock on my i7 950. Nice improvement there.

Main PC 

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

BCLK changes everything.

...How about knowing what you are saying before talking? BCLK on this platform doesn't touch PCIe. As for that matter, touching PCIe is relevant after ~221 BCLK, but thats irrelevant for 99% of people overclocking this platform. Only things it changes are RAM, CPU, Uncore and QPI. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

i found a listing for an EVGA SR2... it's too much money for me but some of you might be interested. 

it's in the netherlands though... 

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-software/moederborden/m1371382593-moederboard-evga-classified-sr-2-met-64gb-sdram-en-2x-xeon.html?c=be2da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr

She/Her

I just upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 24GB. Previously I had 2x 4GB Kingston 1333MHz ECC and 4x 2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz non-ECC sticks. I upgraded the 4x2GB Dominators to these:
4x4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz

Spoiler

4x4gb.thumb.jpg.c43402a26bfff2c8afed7b9f80319cd0.jpgIMG_20190216_190753.thumb.jpg.568a4d7d1d28f1937484c99d6b9f195c.jpgSpeccy64_2019-02-17_02-16-02.png.355477528a4a6f00050ba9624c1a1d3e.png

IMG_20190217_020427.thumb.jpg.46f32eec8f90543cc4b414deebbf3c34.jpg

Intel Core i9-10900X, Asus TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2TB SN570, 8TB HDD, DC Assassin III, Meshify 2

Old PC: Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 1TB Crucial MX500

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus RX 470 Strix, 1TB & 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 2TB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Laptop 2: ThinkPad T450, Intel Core i7-5600U 2c/4t @ 2.6-3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel HD 5500, 250GB SSD, 14" 900p TN, 24Wh + 72Wh batteries

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 3.07-3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB & 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Laptop: Latitude 3380, Intel Pentium Gold 4415U 2c/4t @ 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD 610, 120GB SSD, 13.3" 768p TN, 56Wh battery

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i found a listing for an EVGA SR2... it's too much money for me but some of you might be interested. 

it's in the netherlands though... 

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-software/moederborden/m1371382593-moederboard-evga-classified-sr-2-met-64gb-sdram-en-2x-xeon.html?c=be2da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr

If only it wasn't €650. I'd go to the Netherlands and pick it up if it was cheaper.

Just now, 1kv said:

If only it wasn't €650. I'd go to the Netherlands and pick it up if it was cheaper.

if it wasn't that expensive i would have bought it already xD 

She/Her