General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

18 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That would probably be my worst case scenario. I do, after all, intend to use two CPUs.

Another reason the socket might not be working is the jumper that enables that socket might be loose, if so it is an easy fix

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

29 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Another reason the socket might not be working is the jumper that enables that socket might be loose, if so it is an easy fix

@Zando Bob This reminds me

If you ever decide to disable one of your sockets for OCing reasons it is good to remember that there will still be power to the disabled cpu and it will build up heat over time so be sure to always have a cooler on both sockets, even if one is "disabled".

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

4 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

@Zando Bob This reminds me

If you ever decide to disable one of your sockets for OCing reasons it is good to remember that there will still be power to the disabled cpu and it will build up heat over time so be sure to always have a cooler on both sockets, even if one is "disabled".

But I have that X58 Classified board on the way if I need single CPU overclocking... ?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

So, for the first two days since installing that memory I continued to have random restarts. I then uninstalled EVGA Precision and DDU'd and have since also clean installed to the new 417.71 Nvidia drivers. Haven't had a single restart since...

Maybe my system has merely been moved from one unstable overclock, to unstable gpu drivers, to an unstable gpu, to a stable overclock, to a new X5675 with an unstable overclock with an unstable gpu, to a new gpu which which also was promptly given an unstable overclock, to continued months of dialing up and down my overclock as a placebo until finally whatever in the hell this is? I've had plenty of weeks to months at a time where my system has been stable but I always end up messing with it at some point...

Now the question is do I continue to long term test for stability or do I see if I can push my uncore back up and vcore back down since I don't think my hard lock, random restarts were from the cpu overclock at all? Half of me wants to leave it alone and the other half is violently screaming while jumping up and down that there's more left in it and that's not acceptable lmao.

11 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

So, for the first two days since installing that memory I continued to have random restarts. I then uninstalled EVGA Precision and DDU'd and have since also clean installed to the new 417.71 Nvidia drivers. Haven't had a single restart since...

Maybe my system has merely been moved from one unstable overclock, to unstable gpu drivers, to an unstable gpu, to a stable overclock, to a new X5675 with an unstable overclock with an unstable gpu, to a new gpu which which also was promptly given an unstable overclock, to continued months of dialing up and down my overclock as a placebo until finally whatever in the hell this is? I've had plenty of weeks to months at a time where my system has been stable but I always end up messing with it at some point...

Now the question is do I continue to long term test for stability or do I see if I can push my uncore back up and vcore back down since I don't think my hard lock, random restarts were from the cpu overclock at all? Half of me wants to leave it alone and the other half is violently screaming while jumping up and down that there's more left in it and that's not acceptable lmao.

Hmmm.... I'm all for tinkering but then I did give up for a bit and that's how I got my 2700X system, but then I tinkered with that all the time so it's never been perfectly stable so I really don't know. If you have a 2nd rig and don't 100% need this stable at all times, or you're happy with running at stock when you do need it stable then I'd say go for it. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

When I can afford to drop $200 on a board that I only have one compatible CPU for, I'll let ya know :D

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Oh the EVGA SR-2. The king of X58. Capable of running two Xeons while you can still overclock the CPU´s. If you are a true X58 geek, this is the true board to get. If you can get the board to work again and get two Xeons that overclock to around 4.4 GHz or more. You shut be capable of hitting around 2000 multi score in cinebench R15. My own I7 980X hits 1027 in multi score at 4.42 GHz. So 2000 is not impossible with two desent overclock xeons.

Hope you get it to work.

3 hours ago, Intelfreak said:

Oh the EVGA SR-2. The king of X58. Capable of running two Xeons while you can still overclock the CPU´s. If you are a true X58 geek, this is the true board to get. If you can get the board to work again and get two Xeons that overclock to around 4.4 GHz or more. You shut be capable of hitting around 2000 multi score in cinebench R15. My own I7 980X hits 1027 in multi score at 4.42 GHz. So 2000 is not impossible with two desent overclock xeons.

Hope you get it to work.

Yeah 2000 shouldn't be too hard for him. I got over 1860 and I was only at 4.1

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

On 1/18/2019 at 1:58 PM, Zando Bob said:

Hmmm.... I'm all for tinkering but then I did give up for a bit and that's how I got my 2700X system, but then I tinkered with that all the time so it's never been perfectly stable so I really don't know. If you have a 2nd rig and don't 100% need this stable at all times, or you're happy with running at stock when you do need it stable then I'd say go for it. 

So it actually turns out that at some point while making the memory work I turned it back up. I might be able to shoot for 3600mhz Uncore instead of 3400 but I think I sometimes get bluescreens with it. Although I'm no longer mixing dual rank dimms with single rank dimms and the memory is all single rank so maybe that would be easier on the IMC despite having twice the capacity? So I'm thinking everything does point towards an unstable gpu overclock and only that. I'm gonna give it until February before I attempt the 1080 ""overclock"" again. Maybe I'll give Afterburner a try over EVGA Precision, since my instability was pretty much always first game off of a cold boot I almost want to blame it.

Because of the memory, this system won't actually boot at stock settings. Maybe I'll try again to push it further than 9-9-9-24@1600mhz but I didn't have much luck and if it fails to post and I have to swap in a stick of something else. If I lower the base clock back to stock it just doesn't post until I add in a different stick of ram lol..

Makes me feel a little bit better about this build I guess finally starting to work out the kinks.

https://valid.x86.fr/mbcckd

9 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

So it actually turns out that at some point while making the memory work I turned it back up. I might be able to shoot for 3600mhz Uncore instead of 3400 but I think I sometimes get bluescreens with it. Although I'm no longer mixing dual rank dimms with single rank dimms and the memory is all single rank so maybe that would be easier on the IMC despite having twice the capacity? So I'm thinking everything does point towards an unstable gpu overclock and only that. I'm gonna give it until February before I attempt the 1080 ""overclock"" again. Maybe I'll give Afterburner a try over EVGA Precision, since my instability was pretty much always first game off of a cold boot I almost want to blame it.

Because of the memory, this system won't actually boot at stock settings. Maybe I'll try again to push it further than 9-9-9-24@1600mhz but I didn't have much luck and if it fails to post and I have to swap in a stick of something else. If I lower the base clock back to stock it just doesn't post until I add in a different stick of ram lol..

Makes me feel a little bit better about this build I guess finally starting to work out the kinks.

https://valid.x86.fr/mbcckd

IDK much about all the memory side of things, but Afterburner is so, so much better than EVGA's software (sad since I love EVGA's stuff). Would definitely swap to that.

Main PC 

8 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

IDK much about all the memory side of things, but Afterburner is so, so much better than EVGA's software (sad since I love EVGA's stuff). Would definitely swap to that.

EVGA's software team isn't the best.

But their customer support and product quality...

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Does anyone here have an Asrock x58 board? Looking for pictures of the back of the board for comparision with a dead one

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

@Zando Bob That's awesome! I've been watching a bunch of SR-2 auctions lately, there are two current ones with CPUs / ram/ coolers that I've got my eye on.

What's holding me back from buying is the SR2's PCIE layout apparently is pretty bad for GPU passthrough for VMs....if/when you get yours up and running I'd be super curious to see how accurate the interwebz groupthink is.

Still leaning towards a TR build for that, but man, if I can get an SR2 to work with 3-4 GPU VMs, that'd be freaking amazing. And cheaper.

6 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

@Zando Bob That's awesome! I've been watching a bunch of SR-2 auctions lately, there are two current ones with CPUs / ram/ coolers that I've got my eye on.

What's holding me back from buying is the SR2's PCIE layout apparently is pretty bad for GPU passthrough for VMs....if/when you get yours up and running I'd be super curious to see how accurate the interwebz groupthink is.

Still leaning towards a TR build for that, but man, if I can get an SR2 to work with 3-4 GPU VMs, that'd be freaking amazing. And cheaper.

What all would I need to try getting that up and running for testing's sake? My second cooler should arrive in a bit but I don't have a case to put it in yet so I'd have to build a tank rig on a table. I do have a bunch of GPUs rn though, do they all need to be either Nvidia or AMD or can I mix and match? 

Main PC 

9 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

What all would I need to try getting that up and running for testing's sake? My second cooler should arrive in a bit but I don't have a case to put it in yet so I'd have to build a tank rig on a table. I do have a bunch of GPUs rn though, do they all need to be either Nvidia or AMD or can I mix and match? 

That'd be awesome! Should be able to mix and match, that's my plan anyway. Let me do some digging, I think the super easy button is to boot up unraid (from a flash drive) and run some command line query......lemme see.

Going to water cool this one?

On 1/21/2019 at 1:36 PM, bimmerman said:

That'd be awesome! Should be able to mix and match, that's my plan anyway. Let me do some digging, I think the super easy button is to boot up unraid (from a flash drive) and run some command line query......lemme see.

Going to water cool this one?

Hoping to eventually watercool both my X58 rigs, yeah. For the near future I'll be using a laptop and then air cooling on my SR-2 till I have the budget to do all that, since I'm moving and stuff pretty soon. But then I'm an idiot and keep buying stuff like that other Classified board: 

IMG_0761.thumb.JPG.14148354828b7101fefd6ac87fc69dce.JPG

Now I need to find a case worth of this beast, but XL-ATX is a really weird form factor. Tbh this board is meant to be stuck on a test bench and used with LN-2 so it's weirdness is justified. 

Review of it (from 2009, lol this board is old):

Main PC 

37 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Now I need to find a case worth of this beast, but XL-ATX is a really weird form factor. Tbh this board is meant to be stuck on a test bench and used with LN-2 so it's weirdness is justified.

I seem to recall the 900D supporting up to XL-ATX....

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I seem to recall the 900D supporting up to XL-ATX....

It's out of production though. I could get a Cosmos case though, those support XL-ATX. Then for the SR-2 I plan to get this case @TVwazhere found: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7TD8G67254&ignorebbr=1

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

It's out of production though. I could get a Cosmos case though, those support XL-ATX. Then for the SR-2 I plan to get this case @TVwazhere found: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7TD8G67254&ignorebbr=1

I'm sure there's old stock you can find somewhere. But those aren't bad options, either.

I know a lot about the 900D, probably way more hours that I care to count(or admit) were spent researching it, which is why it's the first case that came to mind :D

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm sure there's old stock you can find somewhere. But those aren't bad options, either.

I know a lot about the 900D, probably way more hours that I care to count(or admit) were spent researching it, which is why it's the first case that came to mind :D

It is a nice case for sure. Sadly the 1000D, as freaking massive as it is, only quotes support for measly eATX boards.... 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

It is a nice case for sure. Sadly the 1000D, as freaking massive as it is, only quotes support for measly eATX boards.... 

But the 1000D can also house two systems at once...

Get an ITX X58 board, dual X58 systems in one rig :D

But the 1000D can also house two systems at once...

BuT mUh HpTx dUaL CpU BoArDs 

And the Evolv X can do that too while being smaller. 

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

BuT mUh HpTx dUaL CpU BoArDs 

And the Evolv X can do that too while being smaller. 

If I really tried, I could fit two systems in my S340, point being?

(low key wanna try that when I get a new case).

You could always just get a big server and use that...

If I really tried, I could fit two systems in my S340, point being?

(low key wanna try that when I get a new case).

You could always just get a big server and use that...

But then I run into those being bad on the looks department. Stuffing an SR-2 into a server rack and hiding it away would be heresy. 

Main PC