General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

22 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Anything that isn't a cheap, generic, Chinese X79 board is still, like, 300 CAD. Where are you finding stuff that's cheap?

I picked up a ASUS P9X79WS-IPMI (server board... came out of what appears to be some sort of specialized trading bot server made by a company called Orion)

for $120 (USD)

The downside? took me 5+ hours to get it working... ended up figuring out after I got the company to that sold it to me to send me the manual for the server it came out of that I had to add a jumper to the AUX panel on the board in a certain spot to override the "Missing speaker" failure that would not allow the PC to boot which I think is hilarious. (i also had to move some other jumpers around that were for diagnostics/server stuff but those weren't as critical)

Also the ASUS Ai Tweaker settings in bios are manufacture-locked with a password. seperate from the bios password... cannot as far as I can tell, circumvent it. May have to change BIOS chip... for now I just did my overclocking in the little asus windows tool which works surprisingly well.

It's a nice board... just beware the IPMI boards because they are completely different animals...

the $99 3960X(basically found cheapest one with a clean heatspreader)  I picked up is kind of garbage though.. it needed like 1.46V for 4.5GHz lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I picked up a ASUS P9X79WS-IPMI (server board... came out of what appears to be some sort of specialized trading bot server made by a company called Orion)

for $120 (USD)

The downside? took me 5+ hours to get it working... ended up figuring out after I got the company to that sold it to me to send me the manual for the server it came out of that I had to add a jumper to the AUX panel on the board in a certain spot to override the "Missing speaker" failure that would not allow the PC to boot which I think is hilarious. (i also had to move some other jumpers around that were for diagnostics/server stuff but those weren't as critical)

Also the ASUS Ai Tweaker settings in bios are manufacture-locked with a password. seperate from the bios password... cannot as far as I can tell, circumvent it. May have to change BIOS chip... for now I just did my overclocking in the little asus windows tool which works surprisingly well.

It's a nice board... just beware the IPMI boards because they are completely different animals...

the $99 3960X(basically found cheapest one with a clean heatspreader)  I picked up is kind of garbage though.. it needed like 1.46V for 4.5GHz lol

Wow, that's a nice deal. Sucks that it took you so long to fix it, but I had the same issue with my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 with my Xeon (until just now!!) and I don't think either my board or yours are indicative of the experience for all users of our respective platforms.

My only question is where did you get the deal? Did you look local? Because for most people those good local deals are out of reach. I got my EX58-UD5 for only $20 after getting FreeGeek's volunteer credit, but I don't expect most people to get that kind of deal.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

for $120 (USD)

Idk...I still think X58 is a better investment.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, panther420 said:

Wow, that's a nice deal. Sucks that it took you so long to fix it, but I had the same issue with my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 with my Xeon (until just now!!) and I don't think either my board or yours are indicative of the experience for all users of our respective platforms.

My only question is where did you get the deal? Did you look local? Because for most people those good local deals are out of reach. I got my EX58-UD5 for only $20 after getting FreeGeek's volunteer credit, but I don't expect most people to get that kind of deal.

eBay a couple months ago ;)

I did it after I got my hands on a GTX 1080ti, and seeing as my old Z77 biostar board with a 3570k was not even close to good enough to run such a card, that was my cheapest move. a 3770k wouldn't of been much better and I needed to get rid of that junk motherboard anyway...

even the 3960X is barely enough for the 1080ti. though I feel if I could get it to 4.8GHz it would be fine... just can't though :(

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

eBay a couple months ago ;)

I did it after I got my hands on a GTX 1080ti, and seeing as my old Z77 biostar board with a 3570k was not even close to good enough to run such a card, that was my cheapest move. a 3770k wouldn't of been much better and I needed to get rid of that junk motherboard anyway...

even the 3960X is barely enough for the 1080ti. though I feel if I could get it to 4.8GHz it would be fine... just can't though :(

Interesting, was it a bid? Last time I checked those boards go for at least $200, ESPECIALLY those WS ones (people like to slap a pretty price on those since they're a little rarer). 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PC Specs:

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Idk...I still think X58 is a better investment.

probably is in most scenarios... I just found something I thought I could make work and I did.

But... yeah X58 is still plenty good. I just had the whole 1080ti situation to deal with... which I admit, is a very extreme first world problem LOL

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

probably is in most scenarios... I just found something I thought I could make work and I did.

But... yeah X58 is still plenty good. I just had the whole 1080ti situation to deal with... which I admit, is a very extreme first world problem LOL

True. I wasn't questioning your decision since you did get a good deal, but I'm saying that I've found X58 to be cheaper than X79.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, panther420 said:

Interesting, was it a bid? Last time I checked those boards go for at least $200, ESPECIALLY those WS ones (people like to slap a pretty price on those since they're a little rarer). 

it wasn't.... it's just that those IPMI boards have limitations. And the seller knew that... I knew it as well.

It was listed for a bit more... I made him what I thought was too low of an offer just to see what he would counter me with (which btw if you ever get low offers on ebay it may just be *that* the person wants to know how low you will go) . to my surprise he accepted it.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

it wasn't.... it's just that those IPMI boards have limitations. And the seller knew that... I knew it as well.

It was listed for a bit more... I made him what I thought was too low of an offer just to see what he would counter me with (which btw if you ever get low offers on ebay it may just be *that* the person wants to know how low you will go) . to my surprise he accepted it.

Oh I see. Didn't know Asus had such a drastic difference between their IPMI and non-IPMI boards.

Spoiler

Spoiler

PC Specs:

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

More PC's

7 minutes ago, panther420 said:

Oh I see. Didn't know Asus had such a drastic difference between their IPMI and non-IPMI boards.

the IPMI boards weren't available for consumers -- they were strictly server boards made available to OEM's. and they could put their own customizations on them.

By far the most interesting thing to me is that Orion, the company who got the particular board I got, actually preloaded it with Overclock profiles (which I mistakenly, deleted.) -- they expected the end user to overclock on these boards, but only with their settings. the reasoning for this is the system this came out with was made for high-frequency stock market trading -- and every little drop of performance counts.

I assume the potential downtime from an unstable overclock doesn't matter for this sort of thing? Crazy to me that "overclocking" is sometimes done in a server environment. and they were legit OC's too... they ranged from 4.8 - 5 GHz with varying memory speeds...(which you also can't control manually -- which stinks) (i'm also not sure what voltages they had pre-set)

I did email Orion's support to see if I could get the password removed on mine but I didn't get a reply... I should probably call them.

One of these.. but a bit older: https://ciaratech.com/products/servers/orion-hf/

Spoiler

Well I've finally deployed my new NAS and taken my old i7 950 gaming PC (turned into a freenas box) offline... It was kind of sad to click the "shutdown" link for the last time...it has been faithful and reliable for the past 6 months. Even as a collection of mostly garbage parts and an ancient gaming PC.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

16 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

True. I wasn't questioning your decision since you did get a good deal, but I'm saying that I've found X58 to be cheaper than X79.

Also, there's more overclockable Xeons for X58 than pretty much every other relevant Intel platform IIRC. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Anybody else here come across this? is it a glitch?

In my bios the RAM is just over 1600mhz (1680mhz or near that) 

But in Windows 10 it shows a 1333mhz ratio?

I am using a C state enabled (voltage offset) Overclock which is quick and dirty yet nice and stable. 4300mhz.

Untitled.thumb.png.7432839800beb13787c9a53ac1b4a083.png

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

1.42v 4500mhz lowered RAM timings and lowered RAM offset (1730mhz is no go)

Triple channel, 2x4 1x8 16GB.

C state overclock.Untitled.thumb.png.0e1ece4d9d4db26fdf6b7cbbe64fa8e5.png

CPU PLL 1.82

IOH 1.35

DRAM core 1.3

DRAM 1.6 (1.5v dimms)

Extreme phase enabled

Spread spectrum (2 of these both on) Oddly it mentions to turn them off for stability but it does the reverse for me.

PCI-E OC 101mhz

PCI-E voltage 1.6

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

44 minutes ago, M300843499 said:

Anybody else here come across this? is it a glitch?

In my bios the RAM is just over 1600mhz (1680mhz or near that) 

But in Windows 10 it shows a 1333mhz ratio?

I am using a C state enabled (voltage offset) Overclock which is quick and dirty yet nice and stable. 4300mhz.

I have seen this yes, I don't know why it does it but it has done the same thing for my system

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

4.636ghz on same settings as 4500mhz unstable BSOD after loading Google Chrome, confirms 4500mhz stability.

IRQ not equal or Less is a CPU voltage issue meaning 1.42v is not enough to feed 4.63ghz

Heck even image capture failed, i captured it but it's corrupt :(

1.42 is as high as i am willing to go, intel specs these Xeon''s as a maximum of 1.4

I hit 400 points in CPU-Z single thread and 2111 multi thread which is a sexy boost!

Untitled.thumb.png.85d4caef4e70a1a4c6323f2c1a51a57f.png

15 minutes ago, M300843499 said:

4.636ghz on same settings as 4500mhz unstable BSOD after loading Google Chrome, confirms 4500mhz stability.

IRQ not equal or Less is a CPU voltage issue meaning 1.42v is not enough to feed 4.63ghz

Heck even image capture failed, i captured it but it's corrupt :(

1.42 is as high as i am willing to go, intel specs these Xeon''s as a maximum of 1.4

I hit 400 points in CPU-Z single thread and 2111 multi thread which is a sexy boost!

Very cool! that is pretty good! I am hoping to also hit 4.5 with my system once I finish my cooling system. It is a really good speed to hit

Have you run cinebench?

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Just now, WhisperingKnickers said:

Very cool! that is pretty good! I am hoping to also hit 4.5 with my system once I finish my cooling system. It is a really good speed to hit

Have you run cinebench?

I will when i get chance, just installed Windows 10 lol, will bench it for the thread :)

I am frankly shocked.

Untitled.thumb.png.2f904fb9208bd3fe7e9f09d2b1725502.png

Anyone looking for an EVGA SR-2 in the UK or US? Check ebay, in the UK there is one up for auction starting at 183£/350£ buy it now and one in the US for 250$ buy it now, with worldwide shipping...

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

1 hour ago, Ground said:

Anyone looking for an EVGA SR-2 in the UK or US? Check ebay, in the UK there is one up for auction starting at 183£/350£ buy it now and one in the US for 250$ buy it now, with worldwide shipping...

Nice! I bought mine for $250! Though the shipping was $80 :(

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Hi

I just got a corsair venegeance 2400mHz kit

asus p6t does not allow to set dram voltage at 1,65, only 1,64 or 1,66

thus it fails to post at 2400mHz but works fine at 2000mHz with tighter timings

is it safe to use 1,66 volts?

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

Up to 1.7V should be about safe, but its really unlikely that you can get over 2000 to work for a daily system, many have issues running that even. Make sure to keep your QPI/VTT within 0.5V of DRAM Voltage (so at least 1.2V at 1.7, though you‘ll probably need more at that speed)

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

1 hour ago, Ground said:

Up to 1.7V should be about safe, but its really unlikely that you can get over 2000 to work for a daily system, many have issues running that even. Make sure to keep your QPI/VTT within 0.5V of DRAM Voltage (so at least 1.2V at 1.7, though you‘ll probably need more at that speed)

So I'm better to stick to 2000mHz and try to keep the timings as tight as possible?

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

11 minutes ago, MaratM said:

So I'm better to stick to 2000mHz and try to keep the timings as tight as possible?

Yeah that probably a good idea.