Zando Bob

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

4 hours ago, leodiavata said:

I tried the guide. Nothing above 200 bclk seemed to work well. Also it suggested having the ram voltage 0.5v more than qpi. I tried that and forgot about it. Because I usually don't mess with ram. That have me tons of instability. So I brought it back to 1.66. My ram might be limiting my overclock. 2 kits of 6 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum. But one is rated for 2000 mhz and 8-8-8-24 and the other one 1600mhz and 7-7-7-20.I brought the timings to 8-7-7-20 and it works fine. But they do not seem to like anything above 1600. Do not have any spare modules to test with them. 

I think that's a misprint, I think the idea is to keep QPI and RAM voltages no more than 0.5V apart, which seems huge.

I run 6x4GB 1600 MHz ram at 9-9-9-24 and I've been able to OC it up to 2000, which netted me instability without any benefit in synthetics let alone gaming. I don't think the RAM is limiting your overclock-- your board and chip just might not be able to go higher than what you've got.

Yeah, deals can be had on x58 for sure. Also keep an eye out for people selling their boards with RAM - I've picked up my x58a-oc with 6x4 GBs and a W3680 for 170€ and sold RAM and CPU for 140 (could have gotten more, but some of the RAM went to a friend; could have used the CPU but it was an absolute terrible overclocker). My Rampage II Extreme (a golden one - does at least 269 MHz BCLK if I push it) was 100€, but I managed to sell my old MSI x58 Pro-E for 100 as well, so it was basically a free upgrade. Now that I have both I can't decide which one to keep - the x58a-oc is impractical for a daily but looks amazing, the Rampage II is more practical but really ugly and gets a fair bit hotter. Really no idea...

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W