General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

Just now, fasauceome said:

I have finally joined!

Glad to have you here with us :D

I joined with an HP Proliant as well, although mine appears to be slightly newer than yours. My board has PCIe x16 and a bunch of PCIe x1.

Have you tried a BIOS update to get a newer CPU in there, or does that not work either? I'm planning some upgrades on mine, thanks for pointing that out. :)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Glad to have you here with us :D

I joined with an HP Proliant as well, although mine appears to be slightly newer than yours. My board has PCIe x16 and a bunch of PCIe x1.

Have you tried a BIOS update to get a newer CPU in there, or does that not work either? I'm planning some upgrades on mine, thanks for pointing that out. :)

This specific model was stated to explicitly support like 8 CPUs only. A user commented in the support thread that Nehalem had the most success with CPUs that were not on the list for that specific model, and Sandy bridge just did not want to cooperate.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

This specific model was stated to explicitly support like 8 CPUs only. A user commented in the support thread that Nehalem had the most success with CPUs that were not on the list for that specific model, and Sandy bridge just did not want to cooperate.

What model is it, exactly? I have an ML330 G6.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

What model is it, exactly? I have an ML330 G6.

Ml150 G6

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Ml150 G6

Ah ok, so I might be slightly luckier.

LGA 1366 server boards on that form factor are stupidly easy to find, so it probably wouoldn't be too hard to pop a new board in there.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Ah ok, so I might be slightly luckier.

LGA 1366 server boards on that form factor are stupidly easy to find, so it probably wouoldn't be too hard to pop a new board in there.

My plan is to learn Linux gaming on it, then dual boot with my main PC once Linux gaming is sufficient, then use it as a server once more by upgrading to a dual CPU setup.

Primary PC:

My plan is to learn Linux gaming on it, then dual boot with my main PC once Linux gaming is sufficient, then use it as a server once more by upgrading to a dual CPU setup.

Not bad, I have my sights set on a combination Minecraft/media server.

Ok, I ditched the Ryzen 7 1700 rig and selling the pieces. It was a huge disappointment performance-wise. Got the Xeon X5670 running again. Will probably throw in the X5690 and see how hard I can run it. The 1700 was good at multi-core performance, but single was not great. I can almost get the Xeon to the 1700's single core performance.

Oh well, time to look for the next project.

3 hours ago, Xa3phod said:

Ok, I ditched the Ryzen 7 1700 rig and selling the pieces. It was a huge disappointment performance-wise. Got the Xeon X5670 running again. Will probably throw in the X5690 and see how hard I can run it. The 1700 was good at multi-core performance, but single was not great. I can almost get the Xeon to the 1700's single core performance.

Oh well, time to look for the next project.

somewhere i understand your feelings, there is a huge difference between a 1200 dollar cpu and a 170 dollar cpu dollar wise alone ! not to mention the fact of only a 20% increase!! but i'm curious where did it go wrong for you performance wise?   

3 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

1200 dollar cpu and a 170 dollar

Where are you getting these prices?

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

1 hour ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Where are you getting these prices?

Intel's ark and for the amd i looked up the regular shopping price in the netherlands

2 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Intel's ark and for the amd i looked up the regular shopping price in the netherlands

Yeah, $1200 is the MSRP for a Xeon in 2011 or so when they were made, a higher MSRP years ago doesn't make it faster than a CPU 5+ years newer. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah, $1200 is the MSRP for a Xeon in 2011 or so when they were made, a higher MSRP years ago doesn't make it faster than a CPU 5+ years newer. 

1 hour ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

dollar wise alone

And there is a huge difference in how a 1200 dollar product is received and a 160 dollar product. 

1 minute ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

And there is a huge difference in how a 1200 dollar product is received and a 160 dollar product. 

I'm not sure what your point is... 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

I'm not sure where you're getting this $160 figure and what it is being compared to but I personally haven't paid more than $25 for a LGA1366 cpu yet. X5675's are $30 on Aliexpress and eBay.

The Ryzen 7 1700 was a $329.99 cpu also if you're going to count MSRP.

You guys are such geeks... this is terrible... but oke... well thanks for informing me about the right msrp price of the ryzen 1700 i figured it couldn't have dropped a lot but apparently it did 

Well, in Cinebench Multi-thread, the 1700 overclocked to 3.9Ghz was very strong. It outperformed my very overclocked I7-6700K very strongly. It also outperformed my X5670 (OCed to 4.5Ghz).

But, in Single core, the 6700K absolutely trounced the 1700 by a good 40 points. It was only 20 points better than the X5670. Meaning, it was closer in performance to the X5670 than it was to the 6700K. I play a lot of games and although I do rendering and such, it's only a once in a while thing. In gaming, the Ryzen 1700 Sucks...if you are moving from a 6700K. From some older chip or even the X5670, it would be a nice upgrade for gaming. But, the FPS was obviously a lot less and more choppy. More FPS dips, etc. So, why even bother having it when the X5670 does a decent job at rendering (It ties the 6700K in multi-core cinebench scores- mainly because of the extra 4 threads.

I am returning the motherboard to Amazing (Thanks Amazon). The CPU I got on sale ($170) I think, which is why I bought it...super cheap. I wonder if I can return it to Newegg?

Well, what is my next project? Was considering trying to build a Raspberry Pi Supercomputer with 10 or 20 of them linked together. Cinebench here I come!

So I got the 6x4gb Mac Pro DDR3, I wouldn't recommend it to most people.

It doesn't boot from the out of the box profiles on either my X58 or AM3 boards. I have to mismatch a single stick of known good, working memory then set the timings to something that works and swap out that stick. This also has the downside of "OC protection" no longer working as it will default to memory settings that don't work. Currently have them running at 8-9-8-20-1T but who knows if that's stable, I only have the choice between 1200,1600 and 2000mhz for memory speeds and I can't seem to get them to run with upto 1.75v at 2000mhz and the maximum timings I could put in. I assume that's probably because of the other timings but who knows.

I feel like I'm having a far larger issue overall though, my cinebench scores are significantly lower than usual. I usually get around 1030 or like 1060-1076 when I turn everything in the background off like Steam. I've turned my Uncore multi down a little but not that much. 200x23 also isn't 200x23 anymore. It's more like 198.9 to 199.4 instead of the 199.8-200 spread I used to see, 201x23 also seems to do absolutely nothing different. I've been experiencing random restarts for like a year now, changing settings seems to hold them off for upto weeks at a time but I'm almost entirely positive that's just placebo.

I really don't know what the hell to do with this system, the only repeatable problem is essentially that I'll boot up a game like CS:GO and like 2-5 minutes into playing a match my computer will restart. It is most likely to happen the first game of the day off of a fresh restart. I can go days at a time without a random restart and even have a week of uptime doing all sorts of things from hosting multiple Plex sessions to playing games without issue. I thought it was power saving related but I tried turning everything off that I could find and that didn't help. Now my clock speeds are uncontrollably going down?

I've tried running like 190x23, I've tried 1200mhz 10-10-10-28-2T on the memory. I've tried 200x22. I've tried 1.425v on vcore, I've tried like 12x uncore. I've never tried raising my QPI/VTT above 1.335v though. I have another X5660 but I experienced similar issues with that which is part of why I bought the X5675. I bought a Seasonic Focus+ Gold 850w for this thing too. I bought this ram thinking that my garbage mix matched stuff was causing some of my issues but I practically woke up to this yesterday.

Anyone have any thoughts? Because I don't even know where to start with even forming a thought in regards to this computer. I guess I have an extra 14gb of ram for windows to not use lmao. Does this look like degradation? Does this look like the motherboard dying? Or are these just bugs with a setup which is far from being ran as intended?

garbage.thumb.PNG.c74ff0f8516f19d84e6a0ea02b1f335b.PNG

Edited by Slayer3032

• 2 weeks later...

Welp I plan to sell off my 2700X and other stuff and re-indulge my X58 Xeon addiction (apparently the SR-2 is Intel 5520 though, not technically X58):

$99 broken but basically new SR-2, hoping the seller just derped something and I can get it to work, if not I'll pull parts off it to freshen up the other one

IMG_0714.thumb.jpg.8a5255c9e6ddae38cd6af2d110957548.jpg

It next to a rig in a Phanteks P350X (please excuse my messy desk and room, I've got a bunch of hardware in various stages of being prepped for sale)

IMG_0716.thumb.JPG.120308ed12a9aea8af173c0ab061c1a2.JPG

Working SR-2, got this for $450 and it includes 2 quad core Xeons (the seller said he was able to hit 4.6GHz at 1.4v with HT disabled, 4.4Ghz at 1.325v with HT on)

IMG_0720.thumb.JPG.ed0516eb180efce030c06a2c4d80e1a4.JPG

And just ordered a brand new EVGA Classified board because I can't help myself

1644001415_ScreenShot2019-01-18at2_01_33PM.png.c057c43f072970efbaca765acabf46a6.png

Also have (well one is still in the mail) two Cooler Master V6 GTs for the SR-2 rig. Will get a case and such as soon as I sell some other stuff to get the monies. 

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Welp I plan to sell off my 2700X and other stuff and re-indulge my X58 Xeon addiction (apparently the SR-2 is Intel 5520 though, not technically X58):

$99 broken but basically new SR-2, hoping the seller just derped something and I can get it to work, if not I'll pull parts off it to freshen up the other one

It next to a rig in a Phanteks P350X (please excuse my messy desk and room, I've got a bunch of hardware in various stages of being prepped for sale)

Working SR-2, got this for $450 and it includes 2 quad core Xeons (the seller said he was able to hit 4.6GHz at 1.4v with HT disabled, 4.4Ghz at 1.325v with HT on)

And just ordered a brand new EVGA Classified board because I can't help myself

Also have (well one is still in the mail) two Cooler Master V6 GTs for the SR-2 rig. Will get a case and such as soon as I sell some other stuff to get the monies. 

I've never seen an SR-2 for less than $300, even dead....

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Exactly why I snapped it up. The seller's blurb said: 

" I bought it but didn't use it for three years so the warranty was not useful. This board was used for one month because that is how long the board lasted. I testing the memory, video card and PSU independent of the board so it is the board.

What is useful is the fan "

So something's up, but when it came the onboard fan wasn't plugged in so it could be that or a BIOS muck up, but even if it's dead it's well worth the price just to have the shiny bits to swap to a new board. 

Main PC 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

That would probably be my worst case scenario. I do, after all, intend to use two CPUs.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

That would probably be my worst case scenario. I do, after all, intend to use two CPUs.

Yeah, kinda loses it's appeal since the whole cool factor is that you can OC dual CPUs. 

Here's another one broken for $120 though, they don't say what's wrong: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-Classified-SR-2-270-WS-W555-RX-Motherboard-For-Parts-or-Not-Working/264147865452?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D55b579e458ed43a7912bdeddad50c9ec%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D153335811852%26itm%3D264147865452&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

and the same seller I got my broken one from relisted for $99 he said "I have 2 that did the exact same thing nearly at the same time." when I messaged him about it (just now, he got back to me pretty damn fast) :https://www.ebay.com/itm/143091323787?ul_noapp=true

Main PC 

23 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My SR-2 was $250

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro