General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

14 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ That, and also you don't... really... have a reason for it sucking? I mean, Z370 is awesome (I have an 8600K on that platform), but that doesn't mean X58 isn't awesome at the same time. Z68/Z77 being your preferred chipsets doesn't make X58 bad. 

It does suck. X5650 at 4.4ghz cant beat a 2500k 4.6ghz in avx workloads. If lga 1366 cpus had avx then it would be hands down the best used chipset.

3 hours ago, TheSponyX said:

It does suck.

That is such a biased opinion... One of the greatest cpu's i ever had in my hands.. My 920 needed to be on 4 ghz but my xeon x5650 just did it.. while being atleast 40% cheaper.. hands on \o/ 

Anyway this is will be my last post on my xeon for a while.. i will probably give it another use but not at this particular moment 

last phote.jpg

In the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020 i might say goodbey to X58. Cause im afraid that my old I7 980X is beginning to show its first signs of CPU degration. Friday my pc slowed down and then freezed completly (it dit not even made a BSOD, it just feeezed and nothing more happened so had to do a hard reset).

I then testet my CPU for stabillity and i got an error. SO i took clock speed Down a bit from 4.43 GHz to 4.4 GHz and its seems to be stable again but going down i MHz is not a good sign in my opinion. Its a clear sign of degration. But to its defence i have also abused this cpu alot. Running it hot with high voltage at up to 1.575 volts on the cores at times. mostly for benchmark al throw. My point is that she has not had a easy life on the old days and that i se signs of now.

Og well if it dies before i get a new pc, xeons are dead cheap. Just because i buy a new pc, dosent mean i say goodbey to X58. As long its only the CPU that maybe dies and not the motherboard, i will stay with X58 system together with a new one. If my motherboard dies, then i guess its over for me on X58.

So hopefully if more happens the next year, it will only be cpu that will die.

1 hour ago, Intelfreak said:

In the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020 i might say goodbey to X58. Cause im afraid that my old I7 980X is beginning to show its first signs of CPU degration.

If it's the CPU, why not replace it with a Xeon? Hexacore Xeons are stupidly cheap.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Intelfreak said:

In the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020 i might say goodbey to X58. Cause im afraid that my old I7 980X is beginning to show its first signs of CPU degration. Friday my pc slowed down and then freezed completly (it dit not even made a BSOD, it just feeezed and nothing more happened so had to do a hard reset).

I then testet my CPU for stabillity and i got an error. SO i took clock speed Down a bit from 4.43 GHz to 4.4 GHz and its seems to be stable again but going down i MHz is not a good sign in my opinion. Its a clear sign of degration. But to its defence i have also abused this cpu alot. Running it hot with high voltage at up to 1.575 volts on the cores at times. mostly for benchmark al throw. My point is that she has not had a easy life on the old days and that i se signs of now.

Og well if it dies before i get a new pc, xeons are dead cheap. Just because i buy a new pc, dosent mean i say goodbey to X58. As long its only the CPU that maybe dies and not the motherboard, i will stay with X58 system together with a new one. If my motherboard dies, then i guess its over for me on X58.

i will more likely be the board than the cpu. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If it's the CPU, why not replace it with a Xeon? Hexacore Xeons are stupidly cheap.

I will replace it with a xeon, if this degration continius rapidly now.

2 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

i will more likely be the board than the cpu. 

Hmm yeah you cut be right. It is old hardware after all. If every thing goes wrong, there are at least the X79 option with a Xeon® Processor E5-1680 v2. That xeon as far i know can overclock and has 8 cores. But i will hope its only the CPU cause X58 xeons are way cheaper.

16 hours ago, TheSponyX said:

It does suck. X5650 at 4.4ghz cant beat a 2500k 4.6ghz in avx workloads. If lga 1366 cpus had avx then it would be hands down the best used chipset.

If your use case is AVX why in the world would you seek out an 8 year old CPU? For that matter why would you seek out the 7 year old 2500k? You would be much better off with a newer architecture. Also just because X58 isn't great at AVX workloads doesn't mean it isn't good in other workloads. For the money spent on a used 2500k it just isn't a good value. By the time you get a Sandy Bridge CPU and motherboard, you could have bought a complete X58 system. Or you could have saved a bit more money and started building a much newer system.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Short summary … GDI wins ...can't seem to get me Crucial mx500 to work.. red light district for a visual sign!

this almost feels like a date with the enemy…. almost 10 degrees hotter then the x5650, gonna mount a couple of fans more in the device though.. a whole night of windows updating is tough! even recorded speeds up to 100 gb/s writing… thats like .. fast! 

54 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

By the time you get a Sandy Bridge CPU and motherboard, you could have bought a complete X58 system. Or you could have saved a bit more money and started building a much newer system.

This feels so relatable… Yesterday i heard someone claim that every motherboard works on a 30 watt diet… 

GDI.jpg

inside.jpg

first gaming experiences seem to be in line with earlier changes noticed when switching from a 920 to a xeon x5650. Warhammer for instance ( total war ) responds almost identical with the 1060 3 gb card that is though.. i don't need any oc features to accomplish ultra settings instead of high settings ( antialias x2, shadows high ) I reckon i need a small increase in memory speed, currently set at 2100 mhz to see if i can achieve smooth scrolling on that gigantic campaign map of theirs, that being the biggest draw on the system... 
Windows remains windows.. just as silly as we have learned to expect from that apparatus ^^ in that regard i'm seeing not a lot of improvements with pci 3 or ddr 4 but i'm guessing that will be quite the change if i used higher tier hardware.. The almost 50% that the ryzen 2600 is faster is for now a pure theoretical sign… practical feeling based i would say about 30 % still .. if i had to choose between running my xeon x5650 on 4 ghz or this thing then the choice is obvious 

I have a i7-920, Asus P6T Deluxe and a 24GB kit that's been sitting on the shelf for awhile.   Already have more computers than i know what to do with, but if anyone is looking for parts I can do something.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

Any thoughts on the MSI Big Bang Xpower vs the ASUS Rampage III Formula? I'm selling a rig with the Rampage in it, wanna make sure I'm not making a mistake. AFAIK the Xpower is newer and it has onboard USB 3.0 and SATA 6G (I hope on better controllers than the Rampage, and will still need an add-in card for USB 3.0 out to the case front headers). From the review or two I found on it it's really nice, OCs damn well, and is all round a solid board. But then same goes for the Rampage, is there a reason to keep that over the Xpower?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Any thoughts on the MSI Big Bang Xpower vs the ASUS Rampage III Formula? I'm selling a rig with the Rampage in it, wanna make sure I'm not making a mistake. AFAIK the Xpower is newer and it has onboard USB 3.0 and SATA 6G (I hope on better controllers than the Rampage, and will still need an add-in card for USB 3.0 out to the case front headers). From the review or two I found on it it's really nice, OCs damn well, and is all round a solid board. But then same goes for the Rampage, is there a reason to keep that over the Xpower?

If they're pretty equal in performance and features, keep whichever one you like more.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

If they're pretty equal in performance and features, keep whichever one you like more.

I'm kiiiiiiinda an ASUS fanboy, but I guess the main thing stopping me from keeping the rampage is that I don't have a PSU I want to sell that has two 8-pin CPU connectors. It operates fine with just one, but I don't want someone taking beef with the fact I don't have both plugged in. Plus the Rampage is in the rig rn, I'd have to pull it and rebuild the PC again, lol.

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

I'm kiiiiiiinda an ASUS fanboy, but I guess the main thing stopping me from keeping the rampage is that I don't have a PSU I want to sell that has two 8-pin CPU connectors. It operates fine with just one, but I don't want someone taking beef with the fact I don't have both plugged in. Plus the Rampage is in the rig rn, I'd have to pull it and rebuild the PC again, lol.

I don't fully blame you, Rampage boards are pretty dang nice.

I don't fully blame you, Rampage boards are pretty dang nice.

Facts. I've got the AM4 equivalent, the Crosshair VII, in my 2700X rig rn. Though the Xpower seems to be on a similar level from MSI, and I had pretty much no complaints with my 980 Ti from them, or now with my 1080 Ti.

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Facts. I've got the AM4 equivalent, the Crosshair VII, in my 2700X rig rn. Though the Xpower seems to be on a similar level from MSI, and I had pretty much no complaints with my 980 Ti from them, or now with my 1080 Ti.

Just keep them both, then :D

Single socket server boards running 1366 are cheap anyway.

Just keep them both, then :D

Single socket server boards running 1366 are cheap anyway.

I suppose I could swap the LGA1366 server board I have into the rig I'm selling and just run the X5675 at stock, should still keep up with the 1050 Ti FTW that's in there. And I can always pick up another X5675 down the road, or mess around with the X5650 I have or some e series quad cores. Planning on spending the money from the rig I sell on an NH-D15 and Fractal Design Meshify C to put an X58 rig in with my RX480 8GB, then let my little bro use that. Should be a good upgrade from the stock X5650 on a server board with a GTX 660 he uses rn, and a fun rig for me to tinker with.

Main PC 

So has anyone here ever specifically used the Mac Pro PC3-14900E memory on an X58?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Apple-Micron-4GB-PC3-14900E-ECC-Mac-Pro-PC-RAM-1866-DDR3-DIMM/123527606435

I saw these for $9 each and wanted to see if all my instability has been from my junk gskill pi series which never ran at advertised speeds or the $18 samsung memory that was the cheapest 6gb I could find.

11 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

So has anyone here ever specifically used the Mac Pro PC3-14900E memory on an X58?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Apple-Micron-4GB-PC3-14900E-ECC-Mac-Pro-PC-RAM-1866-DDR3-DIMM/123527606435

I saw these for $9 each and wanted to see if all my instability has been from my junk gskill pi series which never ran at advertised speeds or the $18 samsung memory that was the cheapest 6gb I could find.

Well it's DDR3 ECC, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Seems to just be guaranteed compatibility with Mac Pros (mmmm I know a guy with a dual X5690 Mac Pro that he added a 980 Ti to, tasty), should still be fine with any other DDR3 ECC compatible mobo/CPU.

Main PC 

That's what I was thinking but I've always considered ECC support on consumer boards to be more of a random chance on if it will work or not. Well in a week we will see as I already ordered 6.

I'd love one of those Mac Pros for a home server but they're insanely expensive in my area or they're the older DDR2/771 models.

3 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

That's what I was thinking but I've always considered ECC support on consumer boards to be more of a random chance on if it will work or not. Well in a week we will see as I already ordered 6.

I'd love one of those Mac Pros for a home server but they're insanely expensive in my area or they're the older DDR2/771 models.

Is ECC motherboard or CPU dependant? Also IIRC if your CPU doesn't support ECC it just runs it like normal RAM, I think me and @WhisperingKnickers were looking into it at some point.

Main PC 

I think ECC support is ultimately on the CPU but I'd imagine the motherboard still needs physical support and the chipset needs at least some sort of support which it does have. I'm sure bios support would also be required. I was somewhat concerned because I've heard some DDR3 like the Nanya ECC memory is rather garbage compared to say Samsung or Hynix. I know from personal experience my Samsung ECC unbuffered memory works but I'm not sure how good Micron is for DDR3 can be and if their workstation memory would even be worth using as an upgrade. I don't see many companies outside of OEMs using Micron for DDR3, QVL lists suggest there's like as many Micron parts out there as other vendors using Micron chips. Few of them are the higher end brand names too.

Google seems to suggest someone has overclocked the part number from the photo from the ebay listing to 2000mhz on HWBot so they should work at least. Had to look up D9QBN and somehow managed to find someone actually using it, seems like they should be okay and should let me overclock them even.

https://hwbot.org/submission/3986564_jancerny_cinebench___r15_xeon_x5670_922_cb/

Maybe I'll give them a try on my Phenom II before they go under my NH-D15, I figure my current memory is going into that machine until I find a X58 motherboard to retire the free, massively overclocked AM3 board with no VRM heatsinks. I feel like ECC support is sometimes a myth as it doesn't seem to be very commonly used and that it's luck when it does work.

2 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

I think ECC support is ultimately on the CPU but I'd imagine the motherboard still needs physical support and the chipset needs at least some sort of support which it does have.

ECC falls on both the board and CPU.

If the CPU supports it but the board doesn't, you won't get it; vice versa.

If someone could help out our friend here, that would be great :D

Figured I'd link it since it involves X58 somehow, but I highly doubt that's the actual problem here.

I have finally joined!

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad