General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

3 minutes ago, T3DDY14 said:

so im back here again, does anyone know any stable over clocks for 2 x5690s on a evga sr-2, ive been messing around with my x5680 and almost managed to boot it with 4.6ghz at 23 ratio and a 200bclk  and 1.35 voltage but it just came up with windows error codes to ive put it back down to 4.2 anyone know any stable oc's for the x5680 aswell?

Below is a asus p6t deluxe v2, x5680 with a hyper 212 evo, 36gb ddr3 of corsair and hyper x fury, a 1080ti and a 960,

-snip-

4.2-4.5 is the usual for the hexacores, well binned chips will do higher, though you'll need more than 1.35v for 4.6GHz on anything but a god-tier chip. AFAIK the SR-2s aren't much off OC headroom wise from any other board on this gen, they're just more complicated. The seller for mine took two quad cores to 4.6 just to confirm it was working, so that's likely doable on a dual hexacore setup as well. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

4.2-4.5 is the usual for the hexacores, well binned chips will do higher, though you'll need more than 1.35v for 4.6GHz on anything but a god-tier chip. AFAIK the SR-2s aren't much off OC headroom wise from any other board on this gen, they're just more complicated. The seller for mine took two quad cores to 4.6 just to confirm it was working, so that's likely doable on a dual hexacore setup as well. 

well ive manged to get a stable 4.2ghz with 1.35v tmmrw im goona try and oc the ram, as when i tried 4.3ghz i could get into windows but as soon as i launched prime95 i would just bsod and that was even with 1.4v, next week i will try my other x5680

I'm putting in some more tinkering time with my SR-2 today and this weekend. I don't think I'll have a ton of OC headroom given the coolers I've got at the moment, but that's only one part of the tinkering I'm doing.

My (single) X5675 would do 4.7 at ~1.4V. It runs nice and cool-ish at 4.5 @ ~1.35V. I can't tell any performance difference between those so just run at the lower setting.

2 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I'm putting in some more tinkering time with my SR-2 today and this weekend. I don't think I'll have a ton of OC headroom given the coolers I've got at the moment, but that's only one part of the tinkering I'm doing.

My (single) X5675 would do 4.7 at ~1.4V. It runs nice and cool-ish at 4.5 @ ~1.35V. I can't tell any performance difference between those so just run at the lower setting.

Speaking of SR-2s, planning to offload mine because I don't think I'll ever actually use it, and there's people out there who can't afford the eBay price (I'd be charging whatever it costs to ship that behemoth, already have a guy who may want it) but would actually use the damn board. Main point is, want me to hang on to those blocks for you? 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Speaking of SR-2s, planning to offload mine because I don't think I'll ever actually use it, and there's people out there who can't afford the eBay price (I'd be charging whatever it costs to ship that behemoth, already have a guy who may want it) but would actually use the damn board. Main point is, want me to hang on to those blocks for you? 

Yes. Absolutely yes if you have both blocks still (and, any CPU blocks you might have?). I'd happily buy them off you now actually.

Also booo offloading but probably a solid call. They're old tech and there really isn't a good way to get around that fact anymore.

Just now, bimmerman said:

Yes. Absolutely yes if you have both blocks still (and, any CPU blocks you might have?)

Only CPU block I have is the one I'm using 😢. Heatkiller IV Pro, highly recommend them if you wanna snag CPU blocks for your board. Had one of their GPU blocks back when I had a Vega FE too, fucking excellent 👌.

2 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Also booo offloading but probably a solid call. They're old tech and there really isn't a good way to get around that fact anymore.

Eh mostly that I'm too far behind on my X58 rig project (and am contemplating selling my X79 rig eventually to get monies to buy a pair of 1080 Tis), and I doubt I'll ever get to actually using the board. I'd need to get a case that fits it, and then a PSU that can support it, both of which are expensive. But replacing the PSU in my X58 rig would be hella expensive too, I need a stronk 12V rail and high wattage for that. It's the same reason I got rid of my 1080 Ti and a bunch of other stuff (I've given away a couple rigs before too). I don't like having hardware just lying around if I can't actually use it. And as much as I'd love having a running SR-2 rig, I'd have to dump one of my other projects to do so. Like my X58 rig, but I'd only want to sell that as a whole rig (parting it out would be hell), but uh not many people would want a power munching rig that needs to be redlined to perform well and makes a bunch of noise. And shipping something the size and weight of a 750D packed with hardware would be a major yikes. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Only CPU block I have is the one I'm using 😢. Heatkiller IV Pro, highly recommend them if you wanna snag CPU blocks for your board. Had one of their GPU blocks back when I had a Vega FE too, fucking excellent 👌.

Eh mostly that I'm too far behind on my X58 rig project (and am contemplating selling my X79 rig eventually to get monies to buy a pair of 1080 Tis), and I doubt I'll ever get to actually using the board. I'd need to get a case that fits it, and then a PSU that can support it, both of which are expensive. But replacing the PSU in my X58 rig would be hella expensive too, I need a stronk 12V rail and high wattage for that. It's the same reason I got rid of my 1080 Ti and a bunch of other stuff (I've given away a couple rigs before too). I don't like having hardware just lying around if I can't actually use it. And as much as I'd love having a running SR-2 rig, I'd have to dump one of my other projects to do so. Like my X58 rig, but I'd only want to sell that as a whole rig (parting it out would be hell), but uh not many people would want a power munching rig that needs to be redlined to perform well and makes a bunch of noise. And shipping something the size and weight of a 750D packed with hardware would be a major yikes. 

Yea, makes sense, painful as it is. I'm kinda at the same point with mine-- the virtualization stuff is part of what I'm tinkering on today, but if that doesn't work then meh I can use the silly thing for other projects. Dismantling it and shipping it (and a 900D ouch) would just be more of a pain than it'd be worth. I kinda just want to get the thing all set up and really give it the beans, virtualization issues or not-- I can set up other rigs for a less-clean solution. I'm kinda at your same point with my car projects.

Good tip on the Heatkiller, I'll take a look. I'll happily buy two SR2 blocks off you now or whenever's convenient!

On 4/28/2020 at 11:14 PM, snorlaxgangs said:

Has anyone OC memory higher than 2400C11 on x58? I remember Kingston made a 2666 triple channel back then, pls share if you have them.

Anyway, i just realize g.skill ribjaws has lower tRFC than the sniper one. Both works fine with gultown chip at 2400.

cachemem9.png

Edit: G.Skill sniper is a lot more compatible with 1366 than ribjaws. Just install the ram, set freq to 2400C11131331 and they're good to go. I had to increase tREFI to 4 to make it stable.

I can't even manage 10-10-10-28 at 1800mhz since my board decides to change it to 11-10-10-28 despite it occasionally booting at 10-10-10-28. My G.Skill Pi series 3x2gb kit had worse timings for the same speeds though. This Mac Pro garbage doesn't even post at stock settings so I really cause my own issues. $8 each for black pcb 4gb dimms was pretty hard to pass up though.

eVOMYQn.png

6 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

I can't even manage 10-10-10-28 at 1800mhz since my board decides to change it to 11-10-10-28 despite it occasionally booting at 10-10-10-28. My G.Skill Pi series 3x2gb kit had worse timings for the same speeds though. This Mac Pro garbage doesn't even post at stock settings so I really cause my own issues. $8 each for black pcb 4gb dimms was pretty hard to pass up though.

eVOMYQn.png

You probably just want a better kit of memory? 

TR3X6G1866C9DF

26 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You probably just want a better kit of memory? 

TR3X6G1866C9DF

I dunno, this is my main rig and I generally run a bunch of stuff on it at the same time. I ran my 3x2gb G.Skill Pi Series for so long that I couldn't play games that I wanted to at one point. I like to be able to pause games and still leave them in the background while playing something else, ect. I had 6x2gb for a while and it was adequate but I think 16gb is really the minimum nowadays so that basically just leaves 6x4gb or 3x4gb where as 6x2gb doesn't seem like it would be ideal if I'm actually trying to push the memory.

I'm also at a point where I don't really see myself investing more into this specific X58 board, it's been "100% stable" for about a year now without a single crash that I didn't cause. It does everything I want aside from the GTX 1080 not being strong enough for 1440p60 RDR2. I'd rather shuck more 8TB drives, get a SAS card and swap to a nice Define R6 on my X58 home server and/or ditch the 450D for a Meshify C on my personal rig. The case stuff is kinda hard to justify though, I'll probably just end up buying higher capacity drives and Noctua fans for what I have instead of building a tower of spinning rust that causes OCP on boot.

SAS card on the X58 era stuff is a nice upgrade over the psuedo-kinda-SATA3 that they shipped with.

Personally I'd say buy a 24GB kit off ebay (~$70-100) and enjoy.

11 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

eVOMYQn.png

Can you lower your Ucore, bclk and try pushing the ram further with everything on auto or xmp?

Some RAM just don't even boot at 1600 cas 9.

Btw is that Adata support legacy bios?

9 hours ago, snorlaxgangs said:

Can you lower your Ucore, bclk and try pushing the ram further with everything on auto or xmp?

Some RAM just don't even boot at 1600 cas 9.

Btw is that Adata support legacy bios?

Auto doesn't post unless I mix memory, they don't have XMP either since they're Mac Pro ecc udimms. My board doesn't even support running the timings as higher than 13-13-13-31 AFAIK. I don't think it will boot at 1600@9-9-9-24 either. If I can't run my X5675 at 180x25(or faster), I don't see the point. I tried lower and higher uncores when tuning in the memory and this setup is the best it will do with perfect stability. https://valid.x86.fr/5sd2a1

I just wanted to put out there that I've never had any luck with memory on X58 and my board does plenty of wacky things to make it worse. At the same time though, I've never had a nice kit rated faster than 1600@9-9-9-24. X58 being one of the first DDR3 platforms makes it really impressive that 2400mhz even works when premium memory at launch was probably like 1333 cas 7.

Nah, the SX8200 Pro doesn't have it but DUET works great. Even with the 5 second press any key memory check it's still faster to boot than my old Intel 535 sata drive. I generally use sleep mode though so I rarely see any of that anyways. I very highly recommend DUET and not paying more for older, used drives that are also smaller.

What mobo do you have?

My Gskill 24GB ram kit (1600 cas9) ran fine with only voltage tweaks up to ~2000 when the CPU IMC dropped a channel. I backed it down after that and it has been solid at ~1700-1800 without touching timings. The ECC stuff I'm told doesn't OC nearly as well as the consumer kits do.

I've kinda wanted to try more exotic kits, but at the same time, I haven't noticed any benefit to >1600 speed in benchmarks. I fully believe chasing the last 5% speed isn't worth the stability headaches.

GA-X58A-UD5 Rev.1 with the 12 phase vrm not the 16 phase that the Rev.2 had, it only offers the broken 0F microcode as well for bios updates. I had to patch in 1D microcodes into the F6 revision since the beta bios aren't editable and were unstable for me.

It's seen a lot of abuse over the years, it's had some liquid put through the case which killed my top Antec 900 fan and caused it to break apart and explode after a few months as well as killing my PSU about the same time. I ran it in dual channel for the longest time as I couldn't fit my ram under the NH-D14 until DDR3 was cheap and I just took all the heatsinks off of them. I've had endless issues in the past from the front panel audio corrupting the windows audio service from a noisy ground feedback loop to needing to pull the ram if Windows 7 went to sleep mode to get it to power back on. Just constant, funky and weird stuff that there's just no fix for. The original goal was 4ghz on the i7-930, that never happened so it probably always had 1.35v shoved down it since day 1. I could probably go on for hours about how abused this board is and the kinds of issues I've had.

I don't expect anything out of this board, if I expect nothing it can only continue to impress me. It's finally giving me the reliability and stability Intel's HEDT platforms are supposed to. I only had to change every single thing in the build aside from the NH-D14 lmao.

I'm kind of at the same spot, I can't measure a difference between all my cheap kits as they all do about the same speeds fast and loose or slow and tight. I figure it's just because I have junk memory but I don't think Intel is really that affected by memory speeds anyways.

Oof yea...I'd say leave well enough alone at that point. It's been a trooper, let it live out its sunset years before retirement.

I spent another couple hours tinkering with virtualization on the SR-2. I found one (1!!!) guy who has gotten it to work, albeit with Xen and not Unraid. Reaching out to see if he's A) still on the internet and B) willing to help, but I'm at the hail mary stage of this project. He had to do some linux wizardry to ensure the VMs wouldn't overwrite each others' DMA addresses while using PCIe due to the crap NF200s, or that's my understanding at least. I've gone through Unraid's options and each time I try to boot with GPU passthrough it hangs the server. The VM works fine without a GPU via remote desktop, so it's something fucky with the GPU/passthrough/NF200s.

Fallback plan isn't quite clear. I could go for broke, WC it with @Zando Bob's help, and OC the nuts off of it to use it as an absurdly huge HTPC -- my main nowadays is an R5 3600 + 1080ti so the SR-2 is pretty superfluous. Downside, and it's a fairly decent one, is the lack of AVX means it won't run my WindowsMR VR headset (see: entire reason I rage-built a Ryzen rig). I have an Index on order but I am a bit doubtful an SR2 OC'd to within an inch of its life on water would provide enough framerate, nevermind the LOL power consumption.

Not really sure what to do with it if the VM hail mary fails. Different server mobo? Different platform (10980XE + X299? TRX40?)? Save money and do less dumb things? I dunno.

3P7A9957.thumb.jpg.1cc48c8bf9c2ec5f921166c07f1bb7c5.jpg

Sometimes I forget I've got Intel HEDT again.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

Sometimes I forget I've got Intel HEDT again.

I'd say to look at your power bill's consumption section to get a quick reminder, but then I remember the amount of folding hardware you have going and uh... yeah I see how you could easily forget it's there. 

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

I'd say to look at your power bill's consumption section to get a quick reminder, but then I remember the amount of folding hardware you have going and uh... yeah I see how you could easily forget it's there. 

I don't get a power bill.

I get a hand written thank you note.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

I don't get a power bill.

I get a hand written thank you note.

For single handedly keeping the local power grid in business? 

Main PC 

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

For single handedly keeping the local power grid in business? 

Yep. 😂 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, T3DDY14 said:

Heres an update on my EVGA sr-2 server with its new case and some cable management 

what case is that? been looking for giant case reccomendations (also excellent beverage choice)

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

32 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

what case is that? been looking for giant case reccomendations (also excellent beverage choice)

Looks almost like something from Fractal Design, but I'm not aware if they ever made anything that big.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, GrockleTD said:

It's a nanoxia deep silence 6, it's a good case but can be quite expensive, although the high price £180-£200 it has excellent build quality and good airflow, another good case is a 900D I used one to store this server previously but it was damaged and didn't close properly, and it seems water-cooling ready and thanks