General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No worries, I'm not in a rush.

Edit: I posted this somewhere else just so you're aware, but I don't know if anybody there will bite.

it's your hardware, sell it wherever you like :)

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

3 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

To be fair I have usually ran the RAM OCed with a CPU OC as well, which ups the BLCK. Or with an i7, but those support higher memory speeds AFAIK. Are you running your Xeons stock for some reason? 

And hmmmmmm... if you're running them stock, your board shouldn't be overheating. If it's under an OC then yeah, the northbridge will get hella hot. My Classified boards actually have a heatsink taller than the i7 920 stock cooler (including fan) to deal with this lol. 

Yeah it's a real head scratcher, because I'm running stock frequencies, and the only two games that cause a shutdown are Dota 2 and No Man's Sky (dont laugh!). I figured it was a gpu issue, but I have a 970 strix and that's a really effective cooler. Just to be safe, I did a fresh repaste on the 970 with some AS5. I played a test game after I added the fans and repasting gpu, and there were no issues.

I'm barely getting cpu temps above 55 degrees, and the gpu rarely gets above 71 or 72 degrees.

When I was crashing a lot last week I got fed up and I tested all of my parts on the ud7 and couldn't replicate the problem :( I tested cpu, gpu, ram, and PSU and got no repeatable results. There is the chance that 10+ year old hardware might be starting to fail, but I really hope that's not the case.

I'm not really using the x5690 in any way, so just have it as a backup if I blow up my 980x. I have in a partially built system that I may sell, so I've left it stock due to lack of use.

2 hours ago, Intelfreak said:

Dont be afraid of punishing your I7 980X, they can take a pretty good beating. Infact X58 boards and CPU a pretty hard to kill as long you stay away from high voltage and temps.

I have a I7 980X as well and i have had it oc to 4.4 GHz at 1.43 volts the past three years and even for benchmark up to 4.75 Ghz at 1.55 volts a cold winter day off cause and despeite it is still going strong. All throw before you begin to OC your chip, replace that Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo with a better cooler. Evo 212 is not gear to handle the heat out put a I7 980X can put out at 4.4 GHz. I am using a Noctua NH-D14 to keep my max core temp at 75-77 degress Celsious under full load.

Here is my bios settings for 4.4 GHz, uncore set to 3600 MHz. These voltage and setting are just a guide as your cpu might need higher voltage or has better silicone than my own so it can run with lower voltage as you do want if possible. lower voltage decrease heat out put, stress on the CPU´s transistors and will also mean a lower watt usage with will benefit your power bill. Note: the settings i am posting here is using the unlocked multiplier, you can overclock your I7 980X by BLCK as well if you prefer that, but that will need you to ajust more voltage than those i have a justed in bios now.

https://imgur.com/a/bBjw4wA

I see you are also a Samsung PRO 950 user on X58 as i am. excellent, welcome to the club.

My system spec.

Core i7 980X @ 4.42 GHz

Noctua NH-D14 CPU 

ASUS P6X58D Premium

12 GB DDR3 ram Corsair 1600 MHz triple channel (6 x 2 GB)

Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2 NVMe SSD

CRUCIAL MX300 2 TB sata 

SSD WD RED 4 TB

WD AV-GP 2 TB

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING

Here are a few benchmark and game test from my own system. CPU oc to 4.4 GHz or around 4.7 GHz.

https://imgur.com/a/uHjbbMg

For those interested. Benchmark from my old I7 920 based system i had before I7 980X.

https://imgur.com/a/WqD1iHK

That is very helpful! I've been planning on grabbing a noctua air cooler because they are just so damn good. I love the fact that I was able to get an NVMe ssd working on x58!

What kind of data rates do you get? I bought a snazzy *looking* chinesium NVMe to pcie adapter, but I only get about 1400mb/s read and 800mb/s write. Waaaaay faster than the junky sata 3 controllers you find on x58 system, but I know it should be able to run faster.

Also, anyone had any luck getting 8gb Dimms to work on x58? I wouldn't mind bringing my system up to 48gb of ram for bragging rights.

6 minutes ago, Skunch said:

Yeah it's a real head scratcher, because I'm running stock frequencies, and the only two games that cause a shutdown are Dota 2 and No Man's Sky (dont laugh!). I figured it was a gpu issue, but I have a 970 strix and that's a really effective cooler. Just to be safe, I did a fresh repaste on the 970 with some AS5. I played a test game after I added the fans and repasting gpu, and there were no issues.

I'm barely getting cpu temps above 55 degrees, and the gpu rarely gets above 71 or 72 degrees.

When I was crashing a lot last week I got fed up and I tested all of my parts on the ud7 and couldn't replicate the problem :( I tested cpu, gpu, ram, and PSU and got no repeatable results. There is the chance that 10+ year old hardware might be starting to fail, but I really hope that's not the case.

I'm not really using the x5690 in any way, so just have it as a backup if I blow up my 980x. I have in a partially built system that I may sell, so I've left it stock due to lack of use.

That is very helpful! I've been planning on grabbing a noctua air cooler because they are just so damn good. I love the fact that I was able to get an NVMe ssd working on x58!

What kind of data rates do you get? I bought a snazzy *looking* chinesium NVMe to pcie adapter, but I only get about 1400mb/s read and 800mb/s write. Waaaaay faster than the junky sata 3 controllers you find on x58 system, but I know it should be able to run faster.

Also, anyone had any luck getting 8gb Dimms to work on x58? I wouldn't mind bringing my system up to 48gb of ram for bragging rights.

Yeah noctua coolers are top notch, it's just those ugly poop color fans, so I replaced those fans with there black IPPC series fans. Now it's bofh look good and cools well.

Nvme SSD on x58 is a joy to use. No crappy Marvell sata 3 controller or slow sata 2 to be limited by. About max speed, you won't see speed much above 1700 mb/s as you are limited by pcie gen 2. 1400 mb/s tells me that you SSD has allot of stuff on it, 950 PRO slows down as they are filled up with files. Mine slows from 1700 to 1400 when nearly full. But 800 mb/s in transfer seems a bit slow as 512 gb is rated for 1500 mb/s for write speed.

Dont waste money on 48 gb memory. 

43 minutes ago, Intelfreak said:

Yeah noctua coolers are top notch, it's just those ugly poop color fans, so I replaced those fans with there black IPPC series fans. Now it's bofh look good and cools well.

Nvme SSD on x58 is a joy to use. No crappy Marvell sata 3 controller or slow sata 2 to be limited by. About max speed, you won't see speed much above 1700 mb/s as you are limited by pcie gen 2. 1400 mb/s tells me that you SSD has allot of stuff on it, 950 PRO slows down as they are filled up with files. Mine slows from 1700 to 1400 when nearly full. But 800 mb/s in transfer seems a bit slow as 512 gb is rated for 1500 mb/s for write speed.

Dont waste money on 48 gb memory. 

Lol everyone hates on those noctua fans for their colour! I grew up using computers in the 90s, so beige computer parts are normal for me! I have a soft spot for old AT cases. I love building sleepers! As for my personal rig, I have no glass on my tower so I'm fine with any colour inside the case.

Regarding the ssd, it's not even half full! I've got about 300 gb free. I was getting almost 1100mb/s write before I pulled everything apart. I realized that my gpu was plugged into an pcie x8 slot, so I swapped things around and now I've got slower write speeds. That doesn't make sense since nvme is just a pcie x4 interface that happens to be terminated for a smaller form factor. I think it's the adapter more than anything, I've got a startech adapter in my workshop, so I'll give that a spin. It doesnt have a fancy blower cooler and shroud (which looks totally badass) like the chinesium adapter, but I'll just have to make do.

As for RAM, I already wasted my money on 24gb, what makes you think I'm gonna start making smart decisions now?!?

7 hours ago, Skunch said:

I managed this on a 25% full ssd 950pro as well

image.jpeg.e403ef599bdc1acc7433a9b16d799e6c.jpeg
it was with p6t, the adapter was inserted to one of the full fat x16 slot

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

I recently re-discovered my long lost x58 gear nearly a year after moving, and am in the process of rebuilding the machine. I had taken the motherboard, cpu and ram and stuffed it into an unused HTPC case for safe keeping.

Components:

• Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE (141-BL-E757-TR)
  • Processor: Intel i7 980X
  • Memory: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 mHz

Other components going into it:

• GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980 4G (I presently have one, and may look to pick up a second for cheap off eBay for SLI)
  • Storage: Kingston 120GB Sata3 SSD (Boot drive), Kingston 240GB Sata3 SSD (Games)
  • PSU: EVGA Supernova 850B2
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2

When I originally uncovered this gear, I was going to use it as a Plex Media server, but after researching the lack of on board graphics prevents me from using GPU based acceleration since the CPU does not support Quick Sync Video. So instead my i7-2600 system will be moved into Plex duty (Asus Maximus IV z68/16 GB Corsair Dominator, these were recently purchased and still pending arrival before rediscovering the x58 gear. I may look to grab a i7-3770K for the system, but we'll see.)

I know the x58 platform is getting a bit long in the tooth, but I've had enough of schlepping on a Core i3-7100 8GB DDR4 system on a Gigabyte H170 based motherboard, which is being pushed finally to HTPC duty where it belongs.

I mostly play Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMO), maybe some NFS: Underground/Underground 2 or some EA NHL 2K (Revival). I don't play a ton of modern games, although I do want to try the new remake of Resident Evil 2.

16 minutes ago, gmac82 said:

I mostly play Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMO), maybe some NFS: Underground/Underground 2 or some EA NHL 2K (Revival). I don't play a ton of modern games, although I do want to try the new remake of Resident Evil 2.

That should run fine, I used to play a bit of SWTOR on my X58 rig, ASUS Rampage III Formula with an X5675 at 4.4Ghz or so, and 24GB DDR3. Never had issues keeping a steady 60fps. Only games to do that were some patrol areas in Destiny 2, and then Assassin's Creed Odyssey (kept above 30fps and rock fucking solid frametimes there though, so perfectly playable). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

That should run fine, I used to play a bit of SWTOR on my X58 rig, ASUS Rampage III Formula with an X5675 at 4.4Ghz or so, and 24GB DDR3. Never had issues keeping a steady 60fps. Only games to do that were some patrol areas in Destiny 2, and then Assassin's Creed Odyssey (kept above 30fps and rock fucking solid frametimes there though, so perfectly playable). 

Yeah more than likely. I am looking to pick up a 1440p monitor, so that's why I'm potentially looking to SLI my 980. I think I saw an exact same card as mine for under 250 CAD on eBay

Just now, gmac82 said:

Yeah more than likely. I am looking to pick up a 1440p monitor, so that's why I'm potentially looking to SLI my 980. I think I saw an exact same card as mine for under 250 CAD on eBay

Oooooooo even better, these chips have an easier time at 1440p. Some guys here play just fine at that res with a 1080 Ti, quite a powerful GPU for this platform lol. 

SLI hmmmm... it can be fun if you wanna tinker or do bench stuff, but I've found it's very hit or miss if stuff scales well, or more importantly, runs well. Rise of The Tomb Raider is supposed to support SLI, but that game was always wack for me. I'd get 160fps (SLI 1080s), but it'd freeze for an entire second, or have massive lag spikes, it was pretty unplayable. But then other games scaled perfectly, and some didn't really care much at all (no performance gain but no unplayable issues). 

I have two GTX 780s I got to try SLI again for fun, if I get my X58 rig up and running again this weekend, I'll try and remember to reinstall SWTOR and see if it's a game that has issues with SLI or not. 

If you wanna go single GPU, 980 Tis still absolutely slap, especially if you get a good overclocker. Could sell the 980 and get a 980 Ti. Basically you trade the potential for higher performance (if games scale well/play nice), for a lower potential performance ceiling, but you very consistently get the performance you expect. A 980 Ti always performs like a 980 Ti, with SLI 980s any "more than 980 Ti performance" is down to how your games like SLI. If they do like it though, holy heck SLI can blow your socks off with the numbers it'll pull. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Oooooooo even better, these chips have an easier time at 1440p. Some guys here play just fine at that res with a 1080 Ti, quite a powerful GPU for this platform lol. 

SLI hmmmm... it can be fun if you wanna tinker or do bench stuff, but I've found it's very hit or miss if stuff scales well, or more importantly, runs well. Rise of The Tomb Raider is supposed to support SLI, but that game was always wack for me. I'd get 160fps (SLI 1080s), but it'd freeze for an entire second, or have massive lag spikes, it was pretty unplayable. But then other games scaled perfectly, and some didn't really care much at all (no performance gain but no unplayable issues). 

I have two GTX 780s I got to try SLI again for fun, if I get my X58 rig up and running again this weekend, I'll try and remember to reinstall SWTOR and see if it's a game that has issues with SLI or not. 

If you wanna go single GPU, 980 Tis still absolutely slap, especially if you get a good overclocker. Could sell the 980 and get a 980 Ti. Basically you trade the potential for higher performance (if games scale well/play nice), for a lower potential performance ceiling, but you very consistently get the performance you expect. A 980 Ti always performs like a 980 Ti, with SLI 980s any "more than 980 Ti performance" is down to how your games like SLI. If they do like it though, holy heck SLI can blow your socks off with the numbers it'll pull. 

Yeah, that's always a consideration. I definitely have some more research to do before making any additional purchases.

Just now, gmac82 said:

Yeah, that's always a consideration. I definitely have some more research to do before making any additional purchases.

? Be sure to ask any questions you may have here too, there's a lot of guys who are extremely experience overclockers and such, or have been maining this platform for years. You can even get some NVMe drives going on this platform, IIRC the Samsung 950 Evo and maybe one or two others? @Intelfreak knows more I think. @MaratM also runs one. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

? Be sure to ask any questions you may have here too, there's a lot of guys who are extremely experience overclockers and such, or have been maining this platform for years. You can even get some NVMe drives going on this platform, IIRC the Samsung 950 Evo and maybe one or two others? @Intelfreak knows more I think. @MaratM also runs one. 

Oh yeah, that was something else I might look into is getting a bifurcation adapter to run a couple of NVMe's in raid. One of the other things I plan to do with this machine is go back to digitizing my Bluray collection so I can have everything playable through Plex. I tend to go once every few months and buy a bunch of $1-$3 Blurays to add to my collection.

1 minute ago, gmac82 said:

Oh yeah, that was something else I might look into is getting a bifurcation adapter to run a couple of NVMe's in raid. One of the other things I plan to do with this machine is go back to digitizing my Bluray collection so I can have everything playable through Plex. I tend to go once every few months and buy a bunch of $1-$3 Blurays to add to my collection.

One with an onboard controller? I don't think anything prior to some specific X99 boards does PCIe bifurcation from the CPU, and to do it easily you really need X299 or Threadripper/some X570 boards. 

Main PC 

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

One with an onboard controller? I don't think anything prior to some specific X99 boards does PCIe bifurcation from the CPU, and to do it easily you really need X299 or Threadripper/some X570 boards. 

I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.ca/Crest-SI-PEX40129-Ports-Bifurcation-Controller/dp/B07HYZY7P2/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=nvme+adapter+bifurcation&qid=1579727896&sr=8-5

But there's also this: https://www.amazon.ca/M-2-X16-Expansion-V2-Supports/dp/B07NQBQB6Z/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=nvme+adapter&qid=1579727762&sr=8-9 which is much cheaper because it doesn't do any bifurcation.

Also it seems (as of 2013) SWTOR doesnt have "official" SLI support, but it can be jury rigged to work, but does have some quirks such as scene to scene negative scaling requiring a quick ALT + ENTER cycle to move to windowed then back to full screen mode to fix SLI scaling. At least this is so far based off the info I've been able to find.

Just now, gmac82 said:

I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.ca/Crest-SI-PEX40129-Ports-Bifurcation-Controller/dp/B07HYZY7P2/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=nvme+adapter+bifurcation&qid=1579727896&sr=8-5

But there's also this: https://www.amazon.ca/M-2-X16-Expansion-V2-Supports/dp/B07NQBQB6Z/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=nvme+adapter&qid=1579727762&sr=8-9 which is much cheaper because it doesn't do any bifurcation.

Also it seems (as of 2013) SWTOR doesnt have "official" SLI support, but it can be jury rigged to work, but does have some quirks such as scene to scene negative scaling requiring a quick ALT + ENTER cycle to move to windowed then back to full screen mode to fix SLI scaling. At least this is so far based off the info I've been able to find.

Top one should work (though do keep in mind that speeds will be capped due to PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0). Bottom one will not, I have one. Doesn't work with more than one drive unless the CPU/platform supports PCIe slot bifurcation, due to not having an onboard controller. 

Heck of a lot to spend for an NVMe card on a platform that won't run them at rated speeds though. SATA SSDs are slower sure, but unless you do a lot of very big writes or reads all the time, SATA SSDs should be fine. I'd assume there's a SATA 3.0 to PCIe card too if you want the full SATA 3.0 speed. Haven't looked into them though, I've been fine with SATA 2.0 due to the system still being snappy overall, and SSDs being much faster than HDDs. SATA 2.0 does up to 300MB/s, so you can still run quite a snappy drive without bottlenecking it too hard. 

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Top one should work (though do keep in mind that speeds will be capped due to PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0). Bottom one will not, I have one. Doesn't work with more than one drive unless the CPU/platform supports PCIe slot bifurcation, due to not having an onboard controller. 

Heck of a lot to spend for an NVMe card on a platform that won't run them at rated speeds though. SATA SSDs are slower sure, but unless you do a lot of very big writes or reads all the time, SATA SSDs should be fine. I'd assume there's a SATA 3.0 to PCIe card too if you want the full SATA 3.0 speed. Haven't looked into them though, I've been fine with SATA 2.0 due to the system still being snappy overall, and SSDs being much faster than HDDs. SATA 2.0 does up to 300MB/s, so you can still run quite a snappy drive without bottlenecking it too hard. 

Yup, and given the fact that my home network is 99.9% Mesh WiFi N, I'm not able to saturate Sata 2 speeds yet. I'm waiting until we buy our first house before wiring rooms for 10 Gbit LAN

If I recall correctly, the only way you can get a seamless experience with NVMe on x58 is to find a drive with a built in legacy boot rom. That's why the Samsung 950 pro works on old systems. A few other drives have the code on board as well, but the internet does not provide that information easily, you will need to dig deep to find the info you want. I believe plextor also made a drive with legacy boot room as well.

There are other options, but they require a usb stick to inject a boot rom code prior to booting windows.

NVMe's are really easy with DUET, it takes only a minute to setup and coming from a mediocre sata SSD boot times are about the same even with the added "memory check" and 5 second timer that you spam any key to speed up most of the time anyways. I noticed a nice increase in performance overall coming from what would be a lower end sata SSD at this point, getting rid of all of my spinning disks, turning off my sata devices and shoving them into another X58 build for a home server made this system nice and snappy.

I have two X58 builds running NVMe's, I would recommend neither of the adapters as one practically came with a free 128gb SM951 for $23.50 and the other I bought because it was the cheapest available on Amazon Prime and I had to remove an extremely bright green i/o led by knocking it off the board with a screwdriver. I'd suggest one with a nice black PCB and make sure it doesn't have lights, the ones that don't have a rear bracket work perfectly fine if you're alright with that look.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GPBBCGS/

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PEX4M2E1-M-2-Adapter-Profile/dp/B01FU9JS94/

Don't bother putting a ton of money and effort into buying 5-6 year old NVMe's that support Legacy AHCI boot, even though SM951's have a standard part number and an "AHCI" part number there's a bunch of them which are the standard part with the AHCI part number. You must visually identify the board near the slot connector for SM951's. You're going to be shelling out sometimes more than pci-e 4.0 prices for a 5 year old drive that's likely going to be used, often in a workstation. The higher capacity drives aren't very common either.

You're never going to get those big sequential numbers but unless you primarily do file copying, you're still going to get much better performance out of a new NVMe drive where it matters. I'd really be curious to see how the new 4.0 drives would do on such an old platform but those are just too expensive for me and I really love the XPG SX8200 Pro I got for about $115. I nearly purchased one of those Micron 2TB sata drives and I am so glad I didn't.

DUjRra1.png

ever realize an obvious way to test for a problem waayyyyy after the fact?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

24 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

ever realize an obvious way to test for a problem waayyyyy after the fact?

Constantly.

Story time?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Constantly.

Story time?

bought a supermicro server board, that is known to support xeons, but i haven't used it since i realized that my MSI board still works

however i never thought to double check that my x5680 wasn't dead

On 1/20/2020 at 2:57 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd imagine they'd be within 10-15% of each other singlethreaded, with the 5960X pulling maybe closer to 50% multithreaded.

Edit: obviously not accounting for overclocks.

My CPU came in today. It's a L bin ? Might only hit 4.3Ghz stable :( 

Anyways stock 1660v3 is as powerful as my 4.4Ghz 5820k. OC'd it's about as powerful as the R7 2700X. The 9900k is about ~11% faster than 1660v3 but about 200% more expensive.

Overall a good upgrade and this CPU should last me another 3-5 yrs before I need to upgrade. A full decade on x99, future-proof check. 

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/10295190/spy/10274384

https://valid.x86.fr/41niw2

On 1/22/2020 at 3:50 AM, Skunch said:

I had used 48Gb on my X58, and was running it at 2000 mHz but it is really pointless, unless you NEED that ram. 24 is really a sweet spot.

Also while running 48Gb I was having some instabilities and had lo lower my overclock to 4.0 gHz, I think 48Gb of ram at max speed put too much stress on the IMC.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

13 hours ago, GrockleTD said:

bought a supermicro server board, that is known to support xeons, but i haven't used it since i realized that my MSI board still works

however i never thought to double check that my x5680 wasn't dead

Ah, that's rough.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 hours ago, MaratM said:

I had used 48Gb on my X58, and was running it at 2000 mHz but it is really pointless, unless you NEED that ram. 24 is really a sweet spot.

Also while running 48Gb I was having some instabilities and had lo lower my overclock to 4.0 gHz, I think 48Gb of ram at max speed put too much stress on the IMC.

A better option is 24GB but with 8GB DIMMs, since you only need 3 sticks for that. Less stress on the IMC than 6x4GB. 

Main PC