Ryzen Timing Checker by The Stilt = Malware?

johndms

I'm pretty convinced that this is a false positive. The program mentioned here at overclock.net seems to be upsetting Windows Defender. So I disabled it and installed Avast, only to be nagged about it again. Windows Defender claimed it contained Trojan:Win32/Tilken.B!cl. Avast claims FileRepMalware. I use MalwareBytes on occasion and it hasn't complained once.

Due to how Avast claims FIleRepMalware, I'm assuming it may be a false positive based on "file reputation". I'm guessing that program simply isn't well known by the anti-virus community and perhaps the methods it uses to obtain the information it displays may seem suspicious. I've run full Avast scans, full Windows Defender scans (not enabled at same time), and a MalwareBytes scan. Nothing suspicious found. So does this sound like your average, every day false positive? I used RTC several days ago without any issues, it only just started this nonsense.

sigh2.thumb.png.b40ac914a8e585a31b3716d27500a649.png

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Upload the file to virustotal and see what it shows as the program might have some elements that are similar to certain malware which is why its being picked up as malicious by both defender and avast.

2 hours ago, demonix00 said:

Upload the file to virustotal and see what it shows as the program might have some elements that are similar to certain malware which is why its being picked up as malicious by both defender and avast.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/d2adfc3ebb0a4f60ebd9621ad892c4564d70baa504e6faac674edc761441d945/detection

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Considering that some of those detections have suspicious, possible and heuristic with others showing generic detections then I'd have to go with the detections being false positives (I'm surprised that gdata is showing it as clean since unless things have changed, it uses avasts detection engine along with one other).

1 minute ago, demonix00 said:

Considering that some of those detections have suspicious, possible and heuristic with others showing generic detections then I'd have to go with the detections being false positives (I'm surprised that gdata is showing it as clean since unless things have changed, it uses avasts detection engine along with one other).

It being a False Positive was the route my mind was taking. I'd even added an exclusion for it. It's calming to have a bit of confirmation, so thanks. Bookmarking virustotal, as well, I'd not heard of that site.