Being a PC System Builder is EASY MONEY... right?

erhmergerd LinuSellouTips

Seriously though, Puget's website will be nice to look at the next time someone comes to the forum asking for a system build for X or Y professional workload

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

I always look at their Adobe tests. Though they never mean much since Adobe has not done any meaningful optimization in a while.

Hopefully, that will change at Adobe MAX in a few weeks since they know that is the ONE thing their entire user base has been asking for.

Noice. I wanna work there now! (But I live in Tennessee, so...)

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I always get Puget mixed up with the car maker Peugeot. xD

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

18 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I always get Puget mixed up with the car maker Peugeot. xD

I clicked on the video expecting a Peugeot so you're not the only one lols

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

They probably have the best bunch of articles and info regarding hardware selection based on software optimisation out there. 

If you know you are using specific apps it's a great way to choose hardware to suite the apps rather then whatever is the hot item at the time. 

So I went to their site to build something.. the Deluge! Deluge A2. 2424 dollars without any sort of changes? Jiminy crickets! i5 7400 w/EVGA 1070 8GB, DDR 4 2400, Sata 3 SSD.. if you want PCI-E prepare to fork out more.I guess if you have no one in your area that can build a system like this this would be an option but still, man thats expensive.

Sadly with the move to creative cloud adobe gave up on proper multithreading and GPU acceleration (which is why it has not had any progress in years).

In the past when you purchased a copy of the application and you used it forever (only buying a new version if some improvement was made that benefited your specific workflow), adobe took upgrades more seriously. If you can find release notes on older versions, you would see that most focused on improved acceleration and performance before finishing off with their "but wait, there's more" moment where they would introduce some random effect or feature that might be cool to some users.

With the mode to creative cloud, they moved to a system where users paid to continue to use their software. In this business model, there is less pressure to engage in the R&D needed to improve hardware acceleration as those are expenses that will not translate into getting more money out of the current customers. Now all you see are minor tweaks and the occasional new effect that is largely a gimmick for most users.

You guys following SAG rules or something? Luke had no lines, so I guess he got paid as an extra. xD I guess that's all he can do with what little time he has these days.

I'm actually highly interested in having this type of job... that being said, I'm in Cleveland. T-T

Puget's motto is pretty much the same thing I tell everyone. Computers bend to the user, not the other way around.

Of course, I don't have the resources to test much beyond gaming and some content creation on my own, so beyond building boxes for friends, I would probably be hesitant on taking responsibility for building a system for a professional.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Intel Core i5-4690 | MSI H97 PC MATE | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4x4GB) | SanDisk Extreme II 120GB SSD | WD Elements 3TB HDD (internalized) | XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB | Corsair 300R | EVGA 500W PSU | Windows 10 | 4480x900 (1440x900+1600x900+1440x900) | Dell AT101W | Logitech M305

Surface Pro 3 i5/8GB/256GB + 200GB MicroSD

Why is the video getting so much shit on YouTube? This was an awesome video and apparently none listened when Linus mentioned the testing process for the machines and complains about prices. YouTube kidos these days!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

I was sort of hoping this would be a video trying to kick some sense in those 14 year olds planning to drop out of school to become a system builder... we get the "how do I start a pc building business" question too often around here.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Why is the video getting so much shit on YouTube? This was an awesome video and apparently none listened when Linus mentioned the testing process for the machines and complains about prices. YouTube kidos these days!

Financial justification is a big big thing to a lot of people. Its not a wrong thing its just that people are looking for different things. I agree with you that it was an awesome video. 

Puget systems is the place you buy from if you want a ready to go working system built for professional use where you don't want to trouble shoot or mess around with setting it up or optimising it for your use case. 

I would imagine that a large part of puget systems customers is business and professional companies, who just dont have the time or desire to work on their own computers but need a really beastly machine. 

It is also handy to a lot of business who have a computer problems to just get someone else to deal with it, that way they aren't spending their whole day troubleshooting and fixing their computer. They can get a place like puget to do it and then they can keep working and making money. 

11 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I liked it. It showed tech and it was infomative. I would have never thought to look for info and behind he scences for how they make the PC's. Who cares if it's sponsered, youtube is saying he's going to loose views over it. 

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

I was sort of hoping this would be a video trying to kick some sense in those 14 year olds planning to drop out of school to become a system builder... we get the "how do I start a pc building business" question too often around here.

It kinda did, they know who they have compete against. They can start up a company and go this route, or give up and know they reach that level. 

30 minutes ago, William Payne said:

snip-

Yeah even Linus said this isn't focused on gamers with water cooling. A company that is medium or small that doesn't have a tech support staffer and knows bestbuy PC arn't going to work for them, need companies like these.  

The problem with waking up one day and deciding you are going to be a pc builder is not the idea, its the client base. Nobody is saying dont do it, but if you cater to the average joe via eBay or craiglist or whatever you probably won't make much money. 

If you cater to serious gamers and business who will pay what is required. Then you need to be able to back it up with tech support and a warranty. The people who are willing to pay the serious money, want serious support to go with it. 

good advertisement 

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

I have no problem with it being an advertisement, Puget can completely back it up. 

1 hour ago, William Payne said:

The problem with waking up one day and deciding you are going to be a pc builder is not the idea, its the client base. Nobody is saying dont do it, but if you cater to the average joe via eBay or craiglist or whatever you probably won't make much money. 

If you cater to serious gamers and business who will pay what is required. Then you need to be able to back it up with tech support and a warranty. The people who are willing to pay the serious money, want serious support to go with it. 

Or if your local shop is crap($1500 for a 4 year old mb, uh no) you can make quite a bit too. Like what I'm doing, is something like Dell used to, have a couple "models"(or different levels) for those who are just wanting one for internet browsing or word processing, or in my case, a lot of elderly people are getting computers, and just want something to contact family, type and do limited internet browsing, or I give the option to completely custom build their pc, or adjust a model to fit their needs. The warranty isn't a huge issue, its more with the tech support(with people wanting to try 10, then going "I want to go back" or it being something they should call MS about.)

Just now, TheGleaner said:

Or if your local shop is crap($1500 for a 4 year old mb, uh no) you can make quite a bit too. Like what I'm doing, is something like Dell used to, have a couple "models"(or different levels) for those who are just wanting one for internet browsing or word processing, or in my case, a lot of elderly people are getting computers, and just want something to contact family, type and do limited internet browsing, or I give the option to completely custom build their pc, or adjust a model to fit their needs. The warranty isn't a huge issue, its more with the tech support(with people wanting to try 10, then going "I want to go back" or it being something they should call MS about.)

I am glad you mentioned the first part. There an absolute ton of shops out there who who sell really old outdated equipment for brand new pricing. I see it often. 

1 minute ago, William Payne said:

I am glad you mentioned the first part. There an absolute ton of shops out there who who sell really old outdated equipment for brand new pricing. I see it often. 

To be worse, its a mb that sold for only $800 when new, but they say "oil boom, we can inflate" although its been done for 3 years and they weren't in it in the first place.