Images of pins for z370 & z270

NumLock21
4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

dosent change my conclusion that these extra pins are not needed, oh and Kabylake at stock sits in its power draw more or less smack dab on that TDP, and moveing forward  id expect the same from them.

Power Delta (Long Idle to OCCT)

Anandtech measures system power consumption.

Otherwise 90W at idle? Dafuq Intel?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Anandtech measures system power consumption.

acording to them this was as acurate they could get for the CPU only, while messuring system power. calculateing for PSU losses, GPU, and rest of system, this 90W figure is what they put out. i dont think its entirely accurate but compared to the I7 4790K the Kabylake chip is clearly closer to its rated 90W figure

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

dosent change my conclusion that these extra pins are not needed, oh and Kabylake at stock sits in its power draw more or less smack dab on that TDP, and moveing forward  id expect the same from them.

Ok so look at your graph and you'll see that an i5 with a tdp of 91W has a draw of 68W and that the i7 has 90W so TDP only correlates with that chart (also that says idle which isn't really relevant) well the 8700k would be 1.5X the i7's number assuming power efficiency  remained the same, and given the clock speed increase it is doubtful the chips will use less power even if they are more efficient so I fail to see how your conclusion makes any sense, unless you assume intel managed to add two more cores without increasing power draw.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

acording to them this was as acurate they could get for the CPU only, while messuring system power. calculateing for PSU losses, GPU, and rest of system, this 90W figure is what they put out. i dont think its entirely accurate but compared to the I7 4790K the Kabylake chip is clearly closer to its rated 90W figure

However, you still can't really say that TDP as a "good enough" estimate of power consumption given that there are processors on that list aren't close to their TDP versus what they measured.

I mean they measured 110W for an 88W TDP part. How do we know this won't be the same thing on Coffee Lake? Not to mention that unless Intel has done something drastic to reduce per-core power consumption, it doesn't make sense that electrical power only increased 4W, if you wanted to go that route, on a14nm process. You're telling me Intel managed to get per-core power consumption down by 43% using the same process node. Even if they made refinements, I wouldn't expect more than say 10% or so.

Not to mention those pins are tiny in terms of gauging. Having any extra power concentrated in fewer pins isn't a good idea.

Just for reference to everyone discussing whether this is necessary from a TDP point of view TDP is a metric of wasted power (in the form of heat) not used power, it is akin to the temperature gauge on a car engine, which doesn't tell you how much gasoline you're using nor does it tell you the horsepower of the engine, it just tells you how hot the block is getting.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

16 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Just for reference to everyone discussing whether this is necessary from a TDP point of view TDP is a metric of wasted power (in the form of heat) not used power, it is akin to the temperature gauge on a car engine, which doesn't tell you how much gasoline you're using nor does it tell you the horsepower of the engine, it just tells you how hot the block is getting.

Thing is, with tech it's basically 100% electricity to heat.

With a car engine there's movement, air resistant and other things, with a cpu that's not the case. There are basically no variables compared to a car engine.

Also TDP is not a temperature thing, it's watts which is a form of energy...

If it would be a temperature thing it would be 80°C TDP which is not the case.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

12 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Ok so look at your graph and you'll see that an i5 with a tdp of 91W has a draw of 68W and that the i7 has 90W so TDP only correlates with that chart (also that says idle which isn't really relevant) well the 8700k would be 1.5X the i7's number assuming power efficiency  remained the same, and given the clock speed increase it is doubtful the chips will use less power even if they are more efficient so I fail to see how your conclusion makes any sense, unless you assume intel managed to add two more cores without increasing power draw.

got a better number to use? i cant find any actiual CPU power draw figures that are any better or more reliable for Kabylake. 

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

However, you still can't really say that TDP as a "good enough" estimate of power consumption given that there are processors on that list aren't close to their TDP versus what they measured.

my point with that graph was that Intel was right on with their current CPUs, and were not before, therefor partialy legitamising my usage of the TDP number

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I mean they measured 110W for an 88W TDP part. How do we know this won't be the same thing on Coffee Lake? Not to mention that unless Intel has done something drastic to reduce per-core power consumption, it doesn't make sense that electrical power only increased 4W, if you wanted to go that route, on a14nm process. You're telling me Intel managed to get per-core power consumption down by 43% using the same process node. Even if they made refinements, I wouldn't expect more than say 10% or so.

even if we add in those extra 50W power, lets just say 150W or something then for the 8700K, the socket would still hold that, you are pushing 1.17W per pin in the Kabylake socket which is, obviously a 50% increase in power per pin, going from 0.5A to 0.75A assumeing it keeps the 1.5V CPU input voltage(got a better number on that one? information was scarce). which really i can not see as being a problem. i run 2V input voltage, and if we assume the same power draw that would be 1W per pin unless im thinking about this wrong.

29 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Not to mention those pins are tiny in terms of gauging. Having any extra power concentrated in fewer pins isn't a good idea.

its not that they are bad in any way, they are good in every way, exept for the fact that Coffee Lake would most likely run just fine on the current Kabylake LGA 1151 socket. it would be really nice if you could drop in Kabylake in a Z370 motherboard, which my guess is, would be compleatly fine functionally, the extra pinns added here are probably wired up to the FIVR on Kabylake aswell in just the same way

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

With a car engine there's movement, air resistant and other things, with a cpu that's not the case. There are basically no variables compared to a car engine.

Tempature is a form of energy, do you know what TDP stands for?

THERMAL design power

No one in here actually was involved with the R&D of this chip, So I’m curious as to how everyone seems to be so sure these CPUs would run just fine on Z270.

They changed the pin layout, so obviously now, there is no cross compatibility, it’s not like the reserved pins on Z270 can magically start delivering power. And if anyone noticed, they didn’t just change the reserved pins.. there were pins that were in use on Z270 that they changed.

2 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

Tempature is a form of energy, do you know what TDP stands for?

THERMAL design power

Thermal design power is talking about the amount of heat generated whereas temperature is the average amount of heat throughout the system. You can have a higher TDP rating but the same temperature as a lower TDP rated part, but it just means you need a better cooler to achieve the temperature.

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

got a better number to use? i cant find any actiual CPU power draw figures that are any better or more reliable for Kabylake. 

Wish I did as it is hard to prove a point to someone without them

20 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

It's not 100%, heat (keep in mind I never said temperature when referring to tdp only in my car analogy) can be measured in watts as it is energy, the lack of variables doesn't change anything it simply makes it easier to calculate power use if you know the efficiency (which we don't) and that was merely an example to get a point across not a literal 1 to 1 comparison

Regardless another factor to consider is that increasing the number of power pins might allow for easier increase of clock speed, that depends on intel's design so I haven't a clue to what extent it could help but I'm certain it would as it would make it easier to feed the chip during operation.

I was saying 3 months ago that the pinout was different to support DDR4-2666 and 2 more cores.  The name change from Z270->Z370 alone was done to indicate they wouldn't be compatible with each other.

Why is no one applying common sense and just hoping that compatibility is going to magically happen.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Thermal design power is talking about the amount of heat generated whereas temperature is the average amount of heat throughout the system. You can have a higher TDP rating but the same temperature as a lower TDP rated part, but it just means you need a better cooler to achieve the temperature.

Yes. My point is TDP isn’t the same as power draw, just because we use watts as a way to measure it

Just now, zberry7 said:

Yes. My point is TDP isn’t the same as power draw, it’s dissapated heat

It isn't the exact value, however every electronic component dissipates power as heat. The problem is everyone assigns blanket TDP values and even then, those TDP values are based on some arbitrary thing the manufacturer decided that they hope covers most use cases. Like you're going to thermal throttle an Intel processor using a stock heatsink if you feed it Prime95, because Intel doesn't think that's a realistic workload (and it really isn't).

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I was saying 3 months ago that the pinout was different to support DDR4-2666 and 2 more cores.  The name change from Z270->Z370 alone was done to indicate they wouldn't be compatible with each other.

Why is no one applying common sense and just hoping that compatibility is going to magically happen.

Because Intel is the devil and everything they do is pure evil, duh!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

they increased number of pins for stuff like ground and vcore. Which makes sense as they need better power delivery for 6 core cpus.

that's not a factor there's a bunch of unused pins on the socket that can be assigned to that.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

That's what they did.

The real question is then why was there all those unused pins in the first place?

they leave overhead for future use. which is exactly what they're doing now which is also why people are complaining that their existing boards don't work

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Couldn't a bios update turn those pins on? 

Can't just "turn things on" if the traces were never created in the first place.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

30 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

that's not a factor there's a bunch of unused pins on the socket that can be assigned to that.

I'm afraid I don't see any unused pins... Correct me if wrong.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

20 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I'm afraid I don't see any unused pins... Correct me if wrong.

RSVD

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

25 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Can't just "turn things on" if the traces were never created in the first place.

At least on AMD side they are usually connected just waiting to be used. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

22 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

RSVD

Does RSVD stand for reserved?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

At least on AMD side they are usually connected just waiting to be used. 

Only if the motherboard makers know that. It can be completely up to them whether or not to put traces on unused pins.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.