Apparently AMD is starting to sell 8 core R5 CPUs.......... in Korea

Mr_Troll
3 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

as much as id like this to be true , i like to remind you how easy it is to fake 

You can also change DMI strings with simple registry tweaks. It's why I never take things like this seriously, given how easy it is to change. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

45 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

Maybe it's like the semprons would be awesome to get some extra cores even if they don't clock as high

most of the AM3 chips can unlock another core, up to three extra cores on some chips iirc. i sold my AM3 system though so i have never actiually tried it sadly

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 hours ago, MageTank said:

You can also change DMI strings with simple registry tweaks. It's why I never take things like this seriously, given how easy it is to change. 

If this is real, what someone needs to do is record an uncut video showing the physical CPU, then install the HSF and boot the system to prove it.  Otherwise, no one who's familiar with these tricks will ever believe it.

It's probably the same thing that was going on with their Phenom series. Phenom II X3 series were basically quad cores, with one core (possibly defective, possible not) disabled. So it was possible to "unlock" that core with special motherboards. However, stability and the ability to unlock those cores are not guaranteed. 

So in this case, looks like Ryzen 5s are just Ryzen 7s that don't meet specifications for whatever reason, or just had 2 cores disabled to meet market demand.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Must feel bad for Ryzen 7 owners

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

If this is real, what someone needs to do is record an uncut video showing the physical CPU, then install the HSF and boot the system to prove it.  Otherwise, no one who's familiar with these tricks will ever believe it.

Here is the location in registry. If you have a video camera, go nuts:

JHmSyD1.png

It is extremely easy to fake this sort of stuff. Here I am with my brand new 8700k running at 4.2ghz:

uBpOQIb.png

Now I want to break a world record...

7zQEEri.png

Perhaps now you people see why I am skeptical of any sort of news that relies on DMI string's within task manager, right? 

This could turn out to be a good marketing move by accident, by putting 1 winner chip in maybe 1000. It become a real silicone lottery that everyone would want to buy a R5 now (as if they have a lot of them available for sale now). It also draw attention from people waiting for coffee lake. 

Honestly, will you built your system now, and not wait for coffee lake (or zen2) if you know,you got a change to win a R7 in a price of an R5?

Just now, MageTank said:

Here is the location in registry. If you have a video camera, go nuts:

I think you misunderstood me.  I meant that someone who has one of the CPUs should record themselves with it installed, then boot the system to prove it's not a fake.

Just now, Jito463 said:

I think you misunderstood me.  I meant that someone who has one of the CPUs should record themselves with it installed, then boot the system to prove it's not a fake.

Oh, I thought you meant to show that it's possible to do these DMI edits. My bad.

Yeah... As far as I am concerned, these chips are Ryzen 7 chips, with their DMI string changed. The cache size is 100% identical with the Ryzen 7 SKU's, and I have not heard of any "unlocking" added to any consumer Ryzen boards that would facilitate the old school Phenom era shenanigans that we saw with say, a 720 black edition Heka. While it is possible from a historical standpoint for AMD to cut CPU's down to meet demands, they tend to actually change the CPU in a way that they at least look like their cutdown counterpart. Highly unlikely that they would go through the effort of releasing a microcode that changes the CPU DMI string to be a lower SKU, while still giving it complete access to all of the cores and cache. Unless they do as you suggest, without any edits or cuts, I refuse to believe this is a real thing.

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Must feel bad for Ryzen 7 owners

There is always someone who will spend extra $ to buy a 1800x or 1600x knowing they could easily OC a 1700 or 1600 to the same speed, but would not bother to do it. I don't think they will feel that bad.

16 hours ago, WereCat said:

I wonder if the yields are so big that AMD can't bother to wait for non-fully functioning 8-cores or cut every functioning 8-core to sell it as 6-core so they are just selling it as an 8-core in 6-core boxes... (not likely, probably just a packing error? :D )

EDIT:

hmmm, it cannot be packing error otherwise the CPU would not report in PC as R5 1600(X)

Could be a repeat from the Phenom II days.  Instead, you don't have to unlock the extra cores.

I rather have a BIOS shot though of these chips showing the cores.

22 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's probably the same thing that was going on with their Phenom series. Phenom II X3 series were basically quad cores, with one core (possibly defective, possible not) disabled. So it was possible to "unlock" that core with special motherboards. However, stability and the ability to unlock those cores are not guaranteed. 

So in this case, looks like Ryzen 5s are just Ryzen 7s that don't meet specifications for whatever reason, or just had 2 cores disabled to meet market demand.

There where duos too that where locked quads.  I had one for my first build.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Could be a repeat from the Phenom II days.  Instead, you don't have to unlock the extra cores.

I rather have a BIOS shot though of these chips showing the cores.

There where duos too that where locked quads.  I had one for my first build.

Unless all Ryzen series of chips are made differently, that seems to be the most likely of reasons. 

Yep, that was also true. For the same reasons, because they were defective or to meet market demands (as much of a waste that was). 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

29 minutes ago, Type 2501 said:

This could turn out to be a good marketing move by accident, by putting 1 winner chip in maybe 1000. It become a real silicone lottery that everyone would want to buy a R5 now (as if they have a lot of them available for sale now). It also draw attention from people waiting for coffee lake. 

Honestly, will you built your system now, and not wait for coffee lake (or zen2) if you know,you got a change to win a R7 in a price of an R5?

But then everyone will start returning their CPUs if its a 6 core. Not a good idea. At all.

14 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

But then everyone will start returning their CPUs if its a 6 core. Not a good idea. At all.

So you guys can just return any product with no fault on its own in the US?

Cause it is not how things goes in Asia. Once you open the box, a product replacement will be accepted only if you can prove the cpu is dead on arrival and you did nothing wrong to break it. (and no money back)

10 minutes ago, Type 2501 said:

So you guys can just return any product with no fault on its own in the US?

Cause it is not how things goes in Asia. Once you open the box, a product replacement will be accepted only if you can prove the cpu is dead on arrival and you did nothing wrong to break it. (and no money back)

Must be different there for sure. In the us you can return to most stores within their return window as long as they still work. Or it's broken. And sometimes stores will just give you store credit if it's past the period. So yes very different lol. People would just buy and return over here. Would work in Asia I guess

Does that mean we can maybe flash a threadripper into a 32core EPYC CPU or just get lucky and get a "EPYC" cpu shipped instead :P 

On a more serious note though... someone at AMD is properly getting fired for such a big mistake if this is a legit and not some fake news

Well that would be cool to get. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'd say it's fake.

Changing the CPU model in Task Manager is a trivial regedit task

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I'm going to refuse to believe AMD is *that* dumb.  Yes let's make it so there's literally no reason to buy half of our Ryzen product stack and offer a 8 core unlocked Ryzen 5...

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

This doesn't fully surprise me. AMD does have a history of disabling faulty cores to sell lower core versions. - and I'm sure R5 demand outweighs the amount of chips with only 1 or 2 cores failed. Sounds like some of the fully functional ones didn't get properly disabled.
- Hope nobody gets excited about having a 8/16 only to find out that one of the cores is faulty and should have been disabled.

Now does anyone remember those AM2+ and AM3 Motherboards that had a Core unlock feature? Makes you wonder if something like that would ever return...
That was the real Silicon Lottery if you ask me.

On 03/10/2017 at 10:07 AM, Trik'Stari said:

Meanwhile: Intel is overcharging for things AMD is giving away free, and refusing to support their own ecosystem because moar money.

Overcharging? No, intel charges a premium for the fastest processors. An intel 6 core > AMD 6 core, an intel 8 core > an AMD 8 core.

And yes, moar money; so what? You do realise intel is a business and the main goal is to make money?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

On 03/10/2017 at 3:23 PM, wcreek said:

I could see the 12nm R7s having 10c/20t or 12c/24t

I wouldn't think so, there isn't much of a market for that. Sure, people still buy 1700s and dont use it for video editing, but 10, 12 and 14 cores would have a tiny market reguardless of the price;  it's total overkill. They'd make alot more money if they poured RnD money into much better IPC and clockspeeds.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

3 hours ago, Armakar said:

Overcharging? No, intel charges a premium for the fastest processors. An intel 6 core > AMD 6 core, an intel 8 core > an AMD 8 core.

And yes, moar money; so what? You do realise intel is a business and the main goal is to make money?

Yes, yes they are overcharging. The entire NVME raid thing is an example. You have to pay roughly $200 for a small "key" that simply says "okay they paid so they can use it now" for a feature that already exists on the goddamned motherboard.

This same feature, which not only works better on AMD, is FREE on AMD's platform.

I was originally talking about a feature of the ecosystem, not pure processor speed, which isn't actually the best measure of performance to begin with.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, Armakar said:

I wouldn't think so, there isn't much of a market for that. Sure, people still buy 1700s and dont use it for video editing, but 10, 12 and 14 cores would have a tiny market reguardless of the price;  it's total overkill. They'd make alot more money if they poured RnD money into much better IPC and clockspeeds.

Zen+ in 2018 won't have more cores. Zen2 in servers is listed, on a roadmap, to have 48c, up from 32c. Which is why we suspect each Zen die to have 12c in some configuration. 

As for the Market, you have to think about AMD's product stack to see where it is. The Ryzen 7 isn't really a gaming CPU. It's a hybrid utility CPU that gives a lot of room for good utility across the board. (This is why the 8700k is the way it is, so it can keep the Gaming crown and eat away at that hybrid market.) So the top SKU isn't about pushing more for games, so that's where 12c on AM4 is valuable. The theoretical Ryzen 7 2800X with 12c/24t at 550USD would be a CPU replacement in any AM4 setup. One could "upgrade" between 4c-6c, higher IPC and, likely, higher clocks for roughly the cost of a new mid-range GPU.

Now, the market below that gets a little wonky. We don't know how those potential 12c are setup. 6c x2 or 4c x3.  If 6c x2, that produces options of: 10c, 8c, 6c & 4c. If it's 4c x3, that's options of 9c, 6c & 3c. Either way, those are your new Ryzen 5, 3 and Athlons, and at higher clocks & IPC, there's a market. 

15 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Honestly i hope AMD keeps surprising and forcing out more cores, why we still have standard 4 core to 8 core cpu's anyway, its 2017 hello Intel AMD is knocking at the door, you may wanna answer :D

more cores arent really needed from them atm