Apparently AMD is starting to sell 8 core R5 CPUs.......... in Korea

Mr_Troll

AMD Ryzen 5 1600/X CPUs With 8 Working Cores Spotted In The Wild

A number of users have reported purchasing Ryzen 5 1600X & 1600 CPUs that had 8 cores active right out of the box. The reports surfaced over the past couple of days on the Korean cooln.kr forums and special thanks go out to Bong for the tip!

Bimg_20171002233041_igrgnctu-1480x833.png

Several recent Ryzen 5 1600X CPUs owners built new systems and upon booting to windows for the first time were shocked to discover that they had 8 cores and 16 threads. The CPUs had the same 3.6GHz base clock and 4.0GHz Turbo of the 1600X, but had 8 cores and 16 threads instead of 6 and 12 respectively. Making them effectively price-cut 1800X CPUs.Others reported the same with the cheaper Ryzen 5 1600 CPUs. All of the unlocked chips were manufactured on the 36th week of 2017 in Malaysia. You can decode your CPU’s batch code with this handy guide, made by redditor rigred , to find out if it was part of the same batch.

SKU: YD1700BBM88AE
BATCH: UA 1706PGT
SERIAL: 9R6xxxxxxxxxx

UA [2digits-YEAR][2digits-WEEK] [3letters-Assembly and Diffusion]

UA   1706       PGT
UA [YY][WW]  [1][2][3]

YY -> Year
WW -> Week

1 -> ATMP Location ([P]enang, Malaysia or [S]uzhou, China) 
2 -> Last letters of ATMP location.
3 -> Wafer Production ([S]aratoga or [T]exas) 

The users obviously couldn’t believe their luck, so they proceeded to benchmark the chips and they found that they performed exactly like 1800Xs.

20171002211646_eibiotit.png Bimg_20171002211648_hqgporkr.png

Bimg_20171002174933_pwdwnmyc.jpg

Why exactly this is happening is unclear. Each CPU is tested right before it’s packaged to be shipped, so it’s implausible for the manufacturing facility not to have known that those 1600s and 1600Xs they were shipping weren’t 1800Xs. It’s possible that this was a decision made simply as the result of higher demand on Ryzen 5 1600X and 1600 CPUs leading AMD to use some of its less purchased 8-core dies as Ryzen 5 1600Xs and 1600s to meet the demand. One thing is for certain though, this gives a whole new meaning to the phrase silicon lottery.

Considering how good coffe lake is looking it isn't surprising at all

source: http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-cpus-8-working-cores-spotted-wild/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

I wonder if the yields are so big that AMD can't bother to wait for non-fully functioning 8-cores or cut every functioning 8-core to sell it as 6-core so they are just selling it as an 8-core in 6-core boxes... (not likely, probably just a packing error? :D )

EDIT:

hmmm, it cannot be packing error otherwise the CPU would not report in PC as R5 1600(X)

I can bet few people over at AMD won't be happy about this.

Just yesterday installed a 1600 into a friends new build, it's only 6 core. It never happens to you. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

hmmm makes me think of AM3 a bit, maybe you can flash some batches or all chips even to unlock more cores like you could with that. you can do it on Vega in a few cases so they havent moved on from their way of disableing cores yet it seems, but thats RTG and not the CPU divission so they could differ

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'd speculate AMD might be pushing more cores downwards to combat Coffee Lake, but due to some manufacturing slip-up they're getting out early.

The question then becomes, if 1600 series gets 8 cores, what are they going to do with R7? 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Meanwhile: Intel is overcharging for things AMD is giving away free, and refusing to support their own ecosystem because moar money.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

13 minutes ago, porina said:

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'd speculate AMD might be pushing more cores downwards to combat Coffee Lake, but due to some manufacturing slip-up they're getting out early.

The question then becomes, if 1600 series gets 8 cores, what are they going to do with R7? 

we have more and more ints that the 7nm zen 2/+, whatever they want to call it, will have a 6 core per ccx package, so we will see ryzen 7 with 12 cores ( and imho r5 will be 8/16 and r3 4/8), threadripper with 24 cores and Epic with 48 cores 

1 hour ago, porina said:

Even moar cores!! No seriously though. IF they moved the R5 16xx series to 8C then I'd either expect the R5 to be non SMT 8 cores and the R7 SMT 8 cores OR R7 be 10 C 20T SMT.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Probably a mixup, the crate was marked as R5 when it actually contained R7s.

1 hour ago, porina said:

19 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Even moar cores!! No seriously though. IF they moved the R5 16xx series to 8C then I'd either expect the R5 to be non SMT 8 cores and the R7 SMT 8 cores OR R7 be 10 C 20T SMT.

I think they'll wait for at least the zen die shrink for that, but given how the CCX architecture works I would expect the ryzen 7 line to go up to 12 cores if they do increase its core count.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

I wonder if the yields are so big that AMD can't bother to wait for non-fully functioning 8-cores or cut every functioning 8-core to sell it as 6-core so they are just selling it as an 8-core in 6-core boxes... (not likely, probably just a packing error? :D )

EDIT:

hmmm, it cannot be packing error otherwise the CPU would not report in PC as R5 1600(X)

My guess is that some process on a batch of R5s didn't disable the extra 2 cores. Most of the 6c will have 8 working cores.  Most efficient dies are binned for Epyc. Highest performing for Threadripper. After that, with their really high yields and the fact the R5 1600/X seem to be a good 40% or more of the Ryzen sales, it's pretty safe to assume that most R5s are core disabled at the factory. (The dies are supposed to have around a 85% 8c yield rate.)

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

We have one chunk of information, a marking for "Starship" as the Zen2 roadmap marker for the Epyc follow up, that points to either 6c CCX or a die having 3 CCX. I'm in the 3 CCX per die camp, just given the way Epyc & Threadripper work and the fact that the CCX attaches to the L3 Cache & all controllers from the outside. (The CCX is functionally separate from the rest of the design, so they can go to 3, 4 or 6 CCX with only spacing issues.) 

I expect Zen2 R5s to be up to 9c, if that holds.

Guessing AMD forgot to disable the cores or just branded them incorrectly during manufacturing?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

The OP screenshots show 16t though, not 8c8t. For now, we only get one die of up to 8 cores per mainstream CPU so going above 8 cores isn't possible without a more radical change.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Must be some magical crates if it can also cause the microcode to report itself as an R5

it's the same logic, they do that sort of thing automatically, if a crate says R5 the microcode will say R5.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

Next news.

Koreans that bought R7 are getting 6-cores!

Oh Crap that would suck!!! ahahah

5 hours ago, porina said:

maybe its a cutdown 10 core

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 hours ago, sof006 said:

Guessing AMD forgot to disable the cores or just branded them incorrectly during manufacturing?

That'd be my guess of what happened.

as much as id like this to be true , i like to remind you how easy it is to fake 

59d39d3cc51d5_picrelated.PNG.6f632b0eb4ba60ec4f0c18a3cf4fad84.PNG

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I could see the 12nm R7s having 10c/20t or 12c/24t

I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to CPU production but from a business standpoint this seems more like a manufacturing error to me.

Why would AMD 'give away free cores' without announcing it first to boost sales? Also it would make more sense to rename the 6-cores slightly to avoid confusion.

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

hmmm makes me think of AM3 a bit, maybe you can flash some batches or all chips even to unlock more cores like you could with that. you can do it on Vega in a few cases so they havent moved on from their way of disableing cores yet it seems, but thats RTG and not the CPU divission so they could differ

Maybe it's like the semprons would be awesome to get some extra cores even if they don't clock as high

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress