Better value gaming CPU than $130 i3-7350K?

Hey all, I'm running a really old CPU and looking to upgrade to a new CPU for something for around $130. Focus is on gaming performance. A lot of people were complaining about the i3-7350K when it came out because it was nearly as expensive as some of the i5's of the same gen. However, I can get the i3-7350K for $130 now. Assuming that I will overclock the CPU (using a 212 EVO for cooling with a well-ventilated case), is there another CPU that offers better gaming performance in that budget range? I was looking at the RYZEN 3 1300X, which is also $130 now, but apparently it is a worse performer for gaming (again, my priority is on gaming, not multitasking/video-editing/whatever). 
I like playing some CPU-intensive games like Total War and Planetside 2. Any advice will be much appreciated! 

older xeons are the best price/performance ratio right now.

the ryzen cpu's are pretty slow for the price

Pentium G4560. $60 cheaper at only about 20% less performance, and won't require an aftermarket cooler.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

You can get older i5s for less than that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, RKRiley said:

Pentium G4560

I mean like those are already 100 dollars.

Assuming OP has a GPU then a R3 1200

5 minutes ago, batnipples said:

Total War and Planetside 2.

The R3 1200 will be much better

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

I mean like those are already 100 dollars.

Pretty sure they're only like $70, sure they were cheap lol.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Yes I should have mentioned, I will never be using integrated graphics. 

Maybe this?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Just now, Himommies said:

Weird they're only £55 over here, wonder why its stupid high in the us.

Just now, RKRiley said:

Weird they're only £55 over here, wonder why its stupid high in the us.

because evreybody's buying them.

Just get a r3 1200

My life

Just get a r3 1200

thats like half the speed of an e5-2670 and the same price. just awful

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

It's slightly cheaper and provides a upgrade path in the future

My life

It's slightly cheaper and provides a upgrade path in the future

A path that....... would lead to a cpu as fast as the 2670?

So buy two ryzen cpu's instead of a cpu that's already that speed , right , gotcha. Good plan.

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

The motherboard's will cost more for that Xeon though.

And as he's only gaming, Ryzen has better single core performance, it'd beat the xeon for his uses.

And who's to say he wants to buy old used hardware?

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

1. The 2670 is slower if you are gaming
  2. X79 motherboards are way more expensive than B350 boards.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, emosun said:

So buy two ryzen cpu's instead of a cpu that's already that speed , right , gotcha. Good plan.

for pure gaming the 2670's clock speed really kills it.For roughly 10 dollars higher you can get a r5 1600 which is much better

My life

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

older xeons are the best price/performance ratio right now.

the ryzen cpu's are pretty slow for the price

From what I've seen from searching for an upgrade for my LGA1155 based NAS, Xeons are actually holding their value better than the consumer chips like the 3770. I'd imagine it's because of their lower power draw and suitability for server use. They're still worth looking at, but comparable i7s may actually be a better choice in some cases. The locked ones at least, the likes of the 3770Ks and such keep their value since they're unlocked. 

Just now, Himommies said:

for pure gaming the 2670's clock speed really kills it.For roughly 10 dollars higher you can get a r5 1600 which is much better

the 2670 turbos to 3.30ghz

what benchmark are you looking at that shows the 2670 being slower? becuase all the benchmarks i see show it as being much faster in almost every way.

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

A path that....... would lead to a cpu as fast as the 2670?

A path thats officially supported until 2020, including the Zen+ refinement and Zen2 architecture 

So, buy old outdated hardware now and buy a whole new platform in a year or two, or buy a marginally (maybe) slower chip now and just a new, much faster, cpu in a couple years?

right , gotcha. Good plan.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

1 minute ago, Moress said:

A path thats officially supported until 2020, including the Zen+ refinement and Zen2 architecture 

provided whatever board he uses bothers to release bios updates for those supposed cpu's. and provided those cpu's are actually faster

not to mention being FREE as it still requires buying 2 cpu's.

10 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The 2670 is slower if you are gaming

.... with a game that only runs on a single thread on one core maybe. what game are you referring to that ran better on ryzen 3 than the 2670 i'd like to see the benchmark results for it. I assuming it's either an indie title or a title that has known programming issues.

Userbenchmark obviouslt isn't the ideal comparison, but it generally gives an accurate idea of how 2 cpu's perform against eachother

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-1200/m18501vs3931