Microsoft announces Office 2019. Coming in 2018?

AlTech
3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Speak for yourself. If i was running Office 2010 and it was no longer supported. I might as well buy Office 2016 at that point.

~~Ofc this doesn't matter to me since i'm on O365 so I always get the latest Office~~

If I was on 2010, why go for a later one if it still works? I can still write just as well with ancient office versions as I can with new versions.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If I was on 2010, why go for a later one if it still works? I can still write just as well with ancient office versions as I can with new versions.

Though if your using Excel the newer features can save a lot of time (for me it was better control of auto sum, making these spreadsheets easier to work with (I'd started off in 2003 pro, than ran the 2007 H&S upgrade):
Capture_Cache.thumb.PNG.8b9542a03c5c427852559adc7dcfd445.PNG

Capture_DRAM.thumb.PNG.613e8352261286f4a1c8b60152aa4b79.PNG

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

11 hours ago, XenosTech said:

Meanwhile still using office 2013 and I have copies of office 2003 and office 2010. No real need to keep buying new versions unless you're a business, school or npo.

Heh, I still run Office 2003 on my system at home.  Then again, I pretty much only use Excel (I track my checking account expenses via a self-made spreadsheet).

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

The main benefits of using any version post 2003 is mainly formatting features and a better UI.

For me, I could never get used to that ridiculous ribbon.  I'll use it when I'm on a machine with a newer version of Windows, and I can manage my way through it, but I far prefer the classic menu style.  If 2007+ had an option to revert to classic menu instead of the ribbon, I'd probably be more receptive to upgrading.

7 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I use libre office now and before that it was open office. Didn't touch ms office since 2010 lol.

I don't get why you would need it.

okay excel has some advanced features that might be handy but for text processing... idk

I find LibreOffice and OpenOffice to be inferior on Windows. It's slower by a good clip on every system I've tested it on, and the UI and UX is clunky and counterintuitive for anything beyond the most basic word processing.

So much so that paying $100 for 5 systems is well worth it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

@office2007masterrace

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

10 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Heh, I still run Office 2003 on my system at home.  Then again, I pretty much only use Excel (I track my checking account expenses via a self-made spreadsheet).

lol I only have office for formatting stuff basically

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

How about a new version of One Note that isn't a laggy stuttery mess on my SP3. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

13 hours ago, Max Caulfield said:

You can always get Microsoft Office for free through your school

Hey, those Foals songs are awesome (alongside Spanish Sahara)

13 hours ago, Sauron said:

As for the product itself, I wonder who really needs to upgrade MS Office outside of the subscription service anymore. The vast majority of people don't have any use for the new features, or don't care enough to splurge the money for a new license anyway. We're past the age where fancy powerpoint presentations were impressive and people cared enough to spend time in slide animation. The only part of the suite which people actually use in an advanced way is Excel, although many have either moved to more specialized data analysis tools or use scripting languages like python (which is actually excellent for scientific analysis).

Businesses and Enterprise clients - Information Rights Management (IRM) is possibly the best thing about Office 2016 alongside the forced auto discover functionality of Outlook 2016.

9 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I am totally confused my Microsofts office strategy as they release so many god damn version. There is office 365, office 2016.... 

It's quite simple - Office 365 isn't a product. You don't go to McDonalds and order a medium chips, medium coke and a cheeseburger: you buy a medium cheeseburger meal. Office 365 is the same way. Granted, they've made a bit of a mess for themselves by having Office 365 for retail and then Office 365 for business / enterprise which use 2 completely different systems.

Office 365 (for business) encompasses a heap of MS products (Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, Office ProPlus / Office Standard, Skype for Business Online, Teams, Planner and more) - specifically with Office ProPlus / Office Standard, you used to get install options for either the 2013 or 2016 versions however 2013 support is no longer. 

Office 365 (retail) is done via Home, Personal or Student (University) and gives you OneDrive (not to be confused with OneDrive for Business) and Office Professional 2016 retail. 

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Still sticking with 2007 H&S, since the changes in all newer versions don't warrant the cost of the upgrade (plus I don't need more licenses, 1 for my desktop, 1 for my laptop and 1 for the 7 year old Vista/Win7 laptop that replaced my Grandmother's 11 year old single core XP machine).

The main benefits of using any version post 2003 is mainly formatting features and a better UI. Though its a shame that MS Office doesn't support plugins unlike Libre Office. It would be good to have a document to epub converter.

Have fun with Microsoft based emails (Exchange / 365) soon :P

7 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Does this really matter to individual customers? I wouldn't consider putting down $100 for mere software support if the existing software already functions well.

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Speak for yourself. If i was running Office 2010 and it was no longer supported. I might as well buy Office 2016 at that point.

~~Ofc this doesn't matter to me since i'm on O365 so I always get the latest Office~~

What do you get from this support? I think everyone understands upgrading for new features that you would use, but why would you upgrade just because something functional runs out of support (not talking about incompatibility).

I feel like it should be more like "If I was running Office 2010 and it had no problems, why would I buy Office 2016 at that point?"

EDIT: I'm still using Office 2013, and before that I had Office 2003. I only upgraded because there was genuinely useful and large feature discrepancy.

9 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I was trying to say that I get why someone would want excel but not word and all that other stuff.

PowerPoint is needed for compatibility with other programs a lot. 

4 minutes ago, suits said:

PowerPoint is needed for compatibility with other programs a lot. 

completely irrelevant to the discussion... that's a great profile gif.

43 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Have fun with Microsoft based emails (Exchange / 365) soon :P

The Windows 10 mail client should handle those just fine (and I really should see if office 2003 runs under KernelEX).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, bobhays said:

What do you get from this support?

If you encounter an issue, customer support can help you. No matter how trivial or not the issue is.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

37 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Rather than pirating, I use google docs because I am a cheap bastard. 

Some people pirate their content to get what they want. Me on the other hand I just find alternatives. For example, I got windows for free by going to a scrapyard and taking a picture of a windows 7 key on one of the dell machines there. I did nothing illegal, I am simply reusing an old key. My Desktop how has an activated copy of windows 10 for free because of that :).

Isn't it against the EULA to use an OEM key on a different machine -- effectively making it the same as pirating. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I find LibreOffice and OpenOffice to be inferior on Windows. It's slower by a good clip on every system I've tested it on, and the UI and UX is clunky and counterintuitive for anything beyond the most basic word processing.

So much so that paying $100 for 5 systems is well worth it.

hmm and I thought it was my mac showing its age.... I have noticed it being sluggish on large (like really large) dosuments, too.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

16 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Please describe such limitations and why UWP apps can't be awesome.

UWP apps are great when they work, but when they don't there's little troubleshooting that can be done by the end user. That being said, most of the UWP apps I do enjoy using function exactly like the regular .exe counterparts, such as Spotify's UWP app. It runs just like the desktop app, looking and functioning exactly the same. Now if only Microsoft would actually curate the UWP store, removing all the shit and getting more developers involved.

Oh, and they'd need to allow me to install apps on drives configured as pools using StableBit DrivePool as well as support better file management, since I'd rather manage my files using a Terminal window than the walled garden system I've seen in Dropbox's or Box's UWP apps. Plus, I need apps to function and look identical across Windows, Linux, and MacOS since I use all 3 systems on a regular basis. (granted, I don't own a mac, however I do use them at work regularly enough.)

1 hour ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Rather than pirating, I use google docs because I am a cheap bastard. 

Some people pirate their content to get what they want. Me on the other hand I just find alternatives. For example, I got windows for free by going to a scrapyard and taking a picture of a windows 7 key on one of the dell machines there. I did nothing illegal, I am simply reusing an old key. My Desktop how has an activated copy of windows 10 for free because of that :).

Technically you've stolen an OEM key since you never originally purchased that scrapped computer, and you've activated it on non-OEM hardware...

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

UWP apps are great when they work, but when they don't there's little troubleshooting that can be done by the end user. That being said, most of the UWP apps I do enjoy using function exactly like the regular .exe counterparts, such as Spotify's UWP

app.

Spotify on Windows Store isn't a native UWP app. It's converted and it's really awful. I try not to use Spotify on my PC because it's so bad.

Just now, kirashi said:

It runs just like the desktop app, looking and functioning exactly the same.

Which is to say, both are in dire need of attention and updates.

Just now, kirashi said:

Now if only Microsoft would actually curate the UWP store, removing all the shit and getting more developers involved.

They're slowly trying to a bit but they need to do more about it. If you see stuff on the Store which shouldn't be there then reporting it can lead to it being removed.

Just now, kirashi said:

Oh, and they'd need to allow me to install apps on drives configured as pools using StableBit DrivePool

Never heard of it. You need to install apps on real existing NTFS drives.

Just now, kirashi said:

as well as support better file management, since I'd rather manage my files using a Terminal window than the walled garden system I've seen in Dropbox's or Box's UWP apps.

Terminal? i don't know what you're talking about. You can totally use CMD/Powershell to delete files if that's your thing.

Just now, kirashi said:

Plus, I need apps to function and look identical across Windows, Linux, and MacOS since I use all 3 systems on a regular basis.

that's not a problem with UWP. And with the exception of QT, that is practically impossible.

Unless you're a fan of DotNetCore Console apps :D. (Hey, kudos to you if you are!)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Office 365 (retail) is done via Home, Personal or Student (University) and gives you OneDrive (not to be confused with OneDrive for Business) and Office Professional 2016 retail.

It's actually Office Professional *Plus* 2016 retail, since it includes access and publisher on Windows.

Edit: incorrect, see comments below.

If you need MS office, it's a good option. But for what little most people use office apps at this point the FOSS options are typically a better way to go.

14 hours ago, Sauron said:

Was just about to post this link, love this office. I use it on ubuntu its the only nice looking one. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

10 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

It's actually Office Professional *Plus* 2016 retail, since it includes access and publisher on Windows.

If you need MS office, it's a good option. But for what little most people use office apps at this point the FOSS options are typically a better way to go.

Nope :P

It's Office 2016 Professional with the consumer versions of Office 365.

ProPlus includes more features and Skype for Business.

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

Nope :P

It's Office 2016 Professional with the consumer versions of Office 365.

ProPlus includes more features and Skype for Business.

But pro doesn't include access or publisher... >.> So wtf?

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

But pro doesn't include access or publisher... >.> So wtf?

It does:     
Word 2016, Excel 2016, PowerPoint 2016, OneNote 2016, Outlook 2016, Publisher 2016, and Access 2016.

https://products.office.com/en-au/professional

4 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

It does:     
Word 2016, Excel 2016, PowerPoint 2016, OneNote 2016, Outlook 2016, Publisher 2016, and Access 2016.

https://products.office.com/en-au/professional

Okay. Apparently I'm just a dumbass. Never mind me. I could have sworn that the whole reason I got 360 for my mother was because she needed publisher and we couldn't get it with the standard versions. My apologies.