Best CPU overclocking stress test?

I've been using heavyload for about as long as I can remember, however I've now noticed that while stress testing my computer will occasionally freeze up, this is after switching monitors and GPUs. The overclock has been stable for over a year, and I even dropped the clock speed, and I'm still seeing screen freezes while testing. Wondering what stress test you guys use? And I'm curious if these screen freezes could possibly be a result of the software.

m  

Prime95 is free

Or AIDA64

"I'm so glad you're my partner in crime."

"It's the power of best friendship, I know how you roll."

"Chloe, my powers might not last." 

"Ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah?" 

"Yes, we'd be tearing up the highway. And you'd probably want me to kiss you again..." 

"I always wanted my life to be special... an adventure... but not without you."

"Because we're back in action again!"

"With great power comes great bullshit."

"Max you are not crazy. You are not dreaming. It’s time to be an everyday hero."

"I wish I could stay in this moment forever. I guess I actually can now, but then it wouldn’t be a moment."

"If that tornado came right now, I would just sit here and watch for a while."

"You're right. We hella deserve this. Splish splash."

"Can we build another pirate fort and keep the world out?"

"When a door closes, a window opens... Or, something like that."

"Listen, whatever happens, I want you to be strong. Even if you feel like I wasn't there for you because I will never abandon you Chloe. I'll always have your back. Always."

3 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

I've been using heavyload for about as long as I can remember, however I've now noticed that while stress testing my computer will occasionally freeze up, this is after switching monitors and GPUs. The overclock has been stable for over a year, and I even dropped the clock speed, and I'm still seeing screen freezes while testing. Wondering what stress test you guys use? And I'm curious if these screen freezes could possibly be a result of the software.

m  

I would avoid using a single stress test. Try testing with a few (running one at a time) and see how it does.

I've never used Aida64 but many people seem to have good things to say about it.  Prime95 is also generally good.

Insert Shameless Plug here about own software which does stress testing

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I would avoid using a single stress test.

I've never used Aida64 but many people seem to have good things to say about it.  Prime95 is also generally good.

Insert Shameless Plug here about own software which does stress testing

What would you have to say about these unusual and occasional screen freezes during this stress test? Have you ever seen anything like that? And when you say "avoid using a single stress test, do you mean use multiple?

Just now, Doomerson said:

when you say "avoid using a single stress test, do you mean use multiple?

I would try a few to see how good each one is. and then generally stick to using the best one unless I need to see if the CPU is bad or software is bad.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I would try a few to see how good each one is. and then generally stick to using the best one unless I need to see if the CPU is bad or software is bad.

Currently using Prime95. Hopefully, it's just the software that's bad, and not my Overclock. 

Prime95 is too strong rape for overclock.

My R5 1600 is stable at 1.4V 3.9GHz everywhere except P95 large FFT test

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

9 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

Currently using Prime95. Hopefully, it's just the software that's bad, and not my Overclock. 

Perhaps try Aida64 then or other programs.

3 hours ago, dave_k said:

Prime95 is too strong rape for overclock.

My R5 1600 is stable at 1.4V 3.9GHz everywhere except P95 large FFT test

I'm currently using Prime 95, but thanks for the heads up.

Perhaps try Aida64 then or other programs.

Currently using Prime 95, and it doesn't seem to be freezing up like the other test was. So I'm not to sure what was up with that.

Just now, Doomerson said:

I'm currently using Prime 95, but thanks for the heads up.

Currently using Prime 95, and it doesn't seem to be freezing up like the other test was. So I'm not to sure what was up with that.

I'm not sure either.

I'm not sure either.

It's kind of hard for me not to just chalk it up to "Heavyload" not being a very good software. My guess would be is that there is a good reason that people do not typically suggest it 

25 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

m  

Every stress test works a little (or a lot) differently. P95, for example, relies on heavy calculations. RealBench makes heavy use of HandBrake encoding, and it stresses the GPU at the same time to increase the overall system power demands. Intel XTU actually uses Prime95, Cinebench renders and OCCT pretty much just goes in and has its way with your CPU.

Instability in any test should be considered instability in all tests; however, not all instability is a CPU failure. For instance, I'm 8h stable (which I consider to be "good enough") in all tests except RealBench. LuxMark kept crashing during the stress test. After puking obscene amounts of voltage in to no effect, I finally went online and did some research. Turns out MSI Afterburner conflicts with RealBench. Turned it off and dialed voltage way back, and as of last night I survived 4+ hours of RealBench before instability kicked in. Now, granted, that's a failure I need to account for, so I nudged voltage up ever so slightly and will try 8h again tonight.

If you're looking for a favorite, I don't really have one. You can check my profile for my method of overclocking. I've found that if I'm going to hit an error or crash out, OCCT and RealBench are the two tests most likely to do it, so I lean on their results more heavily than the others.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

I just use IntelBurn Test, seems to work just fine.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

16 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Every stress test works a little (or a lot) differently. P95, for example, relies on heavy calculations. RealBench makes heavy use of HandBrake encoding, and it stresses the GPU at the same time to increase the overall system power demands. Intel XTU actually uses Prime95, Cinebench renders and OCCT pretty much just goes in and has its way with your CPU.

Instability in any test should be considered instability in all tests; however, not all instability is a CPU failure. For instance, I'm 8h stable (which I consider to be "good enough") in all tests except RealBench. LuxMark kept crashing during the stress test. After puking obscene amounts of voltage in to no effect, I finally went online and did some research. Turns out MSI Afterburner conflicts with RealBench. Turned it off and dialed voltage way back, and as of last night I survived 4+ hours of RealBench before instability kicked in. Now, granted, that's a failure I need to account for, so I nudged voltage up ever so slightly and will try 8h again tonight.

If you're looking for a favorite, I don't really have one. You can check my profile for my method of overclocking. I've found that if I'm going to hit an error or crash out, OCCT and RealBench are the two tests most likely to do it, so I lean on their results more heavily than the others.

Just seems kind of pointless to use tests that are likely to cause instabilities that are relative to software. Am I wrong for thinking so?

15 hours ago, Strike105X said:

The instabilities are more likely to happen due to oc/cpu then software. I agree with the need to use multiple ways to check oc though, it also depends a lot on the mobo and cpu your using when stress testing.

I guess that is a good point, I just got done with a 12 hour stress test, 4.6GhZ on my i5 6600k. 1.315V :D everything looks stable so far....