Microsoft announces new version of Windows 10 S designed for Businesses

AlTech

Windows 10 S was a controversial launch earlier this year and now Microsoft wants to bring Windows 10 S to Businesses with the new Windows 10 Enterprise S Mode.

windows-10-enterprise-in-s-mode.jpg

This new Edition of Windows 10 will be officially launched in 2018 and is designed to be

streamlined for security and a low total cost of ownership

This sounds similar to the pitch of Windows 10 S with most Windows 10 S devices being low cost devices starting at around $200-300 USD.

Microsoft first unveiled its Windows 10 S in May, this year. The operating system is a lightweight version of Windows 10 Pro that is restricted to Windows Store for its app needs but keeps other Pro features. At the time of its introduction and subsequent release, it was touted as the Chrome OS competitor, targeting only the company’s educational customers. Redmond software maker’s OEM partners are already delivering notebooks powered by Windows 10 S, with an upgrade option to Windows 10 Pro.

However, since businesses are Microsoft’s bread and butter, it isn’t surprising that the company is now extending the same concept to its enterprise customers, where it will probably succeed more. Folks at Neowin report that the company announced a new range of hardware at its Ignite event yesterday, that will be aimed squarely at the “frontline workers” aka businesses.

Giving it the name of Windows 10 Enterprise in S mode, the operating system will be released in Spring 2018

windows-10-s-enterprise.jpg

The naming of this is frankly awful. It should have been called Windows 10 S Enterprise or Windows 10 Enterprise S.

Anyhow, so long as this version allows UWP apps to be sideloaded from a Businesses' IT department then this will be a great addition to the Windows 10 Familiy.

Source:

http://wccftech.com/windows-10-enterprise-in-s-mode/

EDIT: Ayyy anybody else thinking Windows 10 SE :D ? That would actually be a cool name.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So what exactly was changed from regular Windows? 

"I'm so glad you're my partner in crime."

"It's the power of best friendship, I know how you roll."

"Chloe, my powers might not last." 

"Ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah?" 

"Yes, we'd be tearing up the highway. And you'd probably want me to kiss you again..." 

"I always wanted my life to be special... an adventure... but not without you."

"Because we're back in action again!"

"With great power comes great bullshit."

"Max you are not crazy. You are not dreaming. It’s time to be an everyday hero."

"I wish I could stay in this moment forever. I guess I actually can now, but then it wouldn’t be a moment."

"If that tornado came right now, I would just sit here and watch for a while."

"You're right. We hella deserve this. Splish splash."

"Can we build another pirate fort and keep the world out?"

"When a door closes, a window opens... Or, something like that."

"Listen, whatever happens, I want you to be strong. Even if you feel like I wasn't there for you because I will never abandon you Chloe. I'll always have your back. Always."

Just now, Max Caulfield said:

This is basically Windows 10 S but based off of Windows 10 Enterprise.

So in theory it has all the awesome stuff like BitLocker to go and running Live OS off of USB sticks etc.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, Max Caulfield said:

A lot of stuff is stripped down. For example, you can only download apps from the Microsoft store.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

A lot of stuff is stripped down. For example, you can only download apps from the Microsoft store.

In this case we don't know if businesses can sideload UWP apps.

The S stands for Shi...p?

I still think this is idiotic and nobody should pay money for it. The only attractive of windows is compatibility, strip that away and it's pure garbage, you might as well just run android or even chrome os. It doesn't help that the Windows Store is awful and needs to die in a fire.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I still think this is idiotic and nobody should pay money for it. The only attractive of windows is compatibility, strip that away and it's pure garbage, you might as well just run android or even chrome os. It doesn't help that the Windows Store is awful and needs to die in a fire.

For better or worse, Windows Store isn't going anywhere. Many businesses have their own apps and stuff for Windows 10.

Alaska airlines for example has multiple Windows 10 apps (most are for employees whilst 1 is for consumers) and many other business have their own.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

For better or worse, Windows Store isn't going anywhere. Many businesses have their own apps and stuff for Windows 10.

Alaska airlines for example has multiple Windows 10 apps (most are for employees whilst 1 is for consumers) and many other business have their own.

Does games for windows live ring a bell? It may still die (and I hope it does) even if it manages to grab a few exclusives. If it doesn't die, hopefully windows slowly becomes less and less relevant in the future. I know for sure the next pc I build will run windows in a vm with pcie passthrough for compatibility and I will do everything else on Linux.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Exactly why not add the ability to block win32 applications in normal windows 10 and have it as a feature rather then something you have to PAY to turn off.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Does games for windows live ring a bell

LOL
I have a legit retail disc copy of GTA IV and when I went to install it I had to use some ratchet workaround because GFWL didn't support Windows 10

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

Exactly why not add the ability to block win32 applications in normal windows 10 and have it as a feature rather then something you have to PAY to turn off.

Scratch that, why want a "feature" that is only there to turn off other features in the first place? We already have administrative utilities to control who can install what, if this is ever a problem your sysadmin is not doing their job properly.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

You can turn off Win32 apps in regular Windows 10 if you like. Windows 10 S and S Mode for Enterprise come with non Windows Store apps disabled. Premium Windows 10 S devices costing around $1000 or more are eligible to upgrade to Pro or Enterprise for Free

22 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Scratch that, why want a "feature" that is only there to turn off other features in the first place? We already have administrative utilities to control who can install what, if this is ever a problem your sysadmin is not doing their job properly.

true but blocking win32 would include portable apps and what not as well so if you downloaded a virus it wouldn't able to run.

You know what would be good? If we have to mark an exe as executable before it was able to run? and maybe require a password rather than a simple pop up?

they just seem like a better way to solve this problem .

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You can turn off Win32 apps in regular Windows 10 if you like. Windows 10 S and S Mode for Enterprise come with non Windows Store apps disabled. Premium Windows 10 S devices costing around $1000 or more are eligible to upgrade to Pro or Enterprise for Free

isn't turning off win32 and only allowing store apps exactly the same thing? 

20 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Windows 10 S is the same greedy cunning strategy as their Xbox. They get you hooked to this closed ecosystem that has low barriers to entry, and later gouge your organs out for the apps you want to use.

What? I don't get the Xbox analogy... and W10S upgrade to W10 on a decent laptop is free

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, vorticalbox said:

true but blocking win32 would include portable apps and what not as well so if you downloaded a virus it wouldn't able to run.

You know what would be good? If we have to mark an exe as executable before it was able to run? and maybe require a password rather than a simple pop up?

they just seem like a better way to solve this problem .

Linux and everything remotely unix-like has that, windows is behind the curve as with everything else that isn't videogames and drivers. But, modern anti-virus and anti-malware software have some pretty advanced filtering options which may help with that. Either way getting a virus/malware in through portable executables from an unprivileged user is quite hard, usually to do any real damage malware needs some sort of registry access or administrative privileges.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

What? I don't get the Xbox analogy... and W10S upgrade to W10 on a decent laptop is free

I'm not sure about the xbox, but most people will stick to whatever is preinstalled on their computer without even knowing you can upgrade, or what the difference is. The strategy here is to hook this sort of customer in to the windows store and artificially boost its marketshare that way. If the pitch is that it's cheaper, you can rest assured you are being milked in other ways.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

25 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Linux and everything remotely unix-like has that, windows is behind the curve as with everything else that isn't videogames and drivers. But, modern anti-virus and anti-malware software have some pretty advanced filtering options which may help with that. Either way getting a virus/malware in through portable executables from an unprivileged user is quite hard, usually to do any real damage malware needs some sort of registry access or administrative privileges.

That's true but software is never bug free and a bug in the Av software can open you up to more problems in the long run.

100% on drivers and games though, its the only reason I dual boot windows is for the nice Minecraft with cross platform play. Actually really nice lol

Let's all hope this fails and dies just like Windows RT did.

At the end of the day, this is bad for consumers. It's Microsoft's latest strategy to force everyone into the UWP ecosystem which is basically just glorified smartphone apps.

39 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I'm not sure about the xbox, but most people will stick to whatever is preinstalled on their computer without even knowing you can upgrade, or what the difference is. The strategy here is to hook this sort of customer in to the windows store and artificially boost its marketshare that way. If the pitch is that it's cheaper, you can rest assured you are being milked in other ways.

A nontechie person in my flat got a new computer and she uses Edge. if Chrome was pre-installed with Windows she'd probably use that but since Edge was pre-installed and works, she's fine with it.

Search Engine change to Google was required but otherwise it's fine.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

A nontechie person in my flat got a new computer and she uses Edge. if Chrome was pre-installed with Windows she'd probably use that but since Edge was pre-installed and works, she's fine with it.

Search Engine change to Google was required but otherwise it's fine.

Exactly, and this is why both IE/Edge and Bing still have a significant marketshare. If they do the same with UWP eventually they'll have a market by default.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Because locking freedom and options is every thing users wants right? xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

So again W10 S variant first targeted for so called students, like any student would use S and not upgrade and now with Enterprise extras for businesse hmm. 

Why... why can't they just make one or two or just maybe three verions and be done with it. And ditch 32bit.

Like Home Pro Enterprise all 64 bit done. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

jesus christ, how much is microsoft spending on these different versions, but is also explains how come the user base became the QA team, and why W10 is a bit of a buggy mess.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

50 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Edge isn't bad. I use chrome but in touchscreen mode Edge is much better, I also really like the clean lines

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

next they're going to add windows s pro

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler