AMD RX Vega 64 Outperforms NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti By Up To 23% In DX12 Forza 7

Gdourado
4 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

i just noticed that , why the fuck does Wikipedia list FP16 for amd cards but NOT nvidia cards , wtf 

but then still , the vega 64 thereabouts matches a titan xppp / 1080ti , yet those are like 20% faster 

because recently it hasn't been the focus of gpus, it was a long time ago, fp16 on pascal is equal or lower than fp32, at least for consumer pascal,

vega is limited in other areas like pixel throughput, and other front end stuff, and not shaders

8 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

So you're buying a $600 GPU to get 200FPS at 1080p?

I didn't say it was dead but it is dying.

Again, I didn't say it was dead.

It's very simple guys, people don't buy TOP OF THE LINE GPUs to game at 1080p. If your gaming at 1080p you buy a $250 GPU, $300 max. A 1060 is more than enough to push 1080p at over 100FPS in the large majority of games these days.

Bought a gtx 1070 to play at 1080p and that is a 400 dollar card so I would say you are wrong. Maybe you wouldn't spend that kind of money on a gpu to play at 1080p but not everyone is you.

So Vega outperforms the 1080ti on a single game at a lower resolution.

Whoop-dee-doo? AFAIK the 1080ti stomps Vega in most other games.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

i just noticed that , why the fuck does Wikipedia list FP16 for amd cards but NOT nvidia cards , wtf 

but then still , the vega 64 thereabouts matches a titan xppp / 1080ti , yet those are like 20% faster 

EDIT : 

look at those double pres numbers , its +100% for AMD there

Unbenannt.JPG.e16c441d3b5b558daf7ba0b89b7465c6.JPG

Unbenannt2.JPG.e38b116805102cb9bbfadfc09bb5beff.JPG

That's double precision though (FP64). Nvidia is known to cripple consumer cards so they can sell you a Quadro instead. AMD has also started gutting FP64 a bit. They used to do 1:2 but has since abandoned it. According to the wiki page you linked their ratio is likely to be 1:16 or so. Someone who can actually math is welcome to correct me. If I recall correctly GeForce has a 1:32 FP64.

I won't take these results seriously until Turn10 fixes this 1 core utilization bs they keep doing to their games.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

5 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

They do list it for Nvidia, it's the Half Precision column. Prepare for a shock though because if you think Nvidia is cutting FP64 you'll see that FP16 is half of that again while for AMD FP16 is double FP32 like it should be. In the professional space that AMD is trying to expand in to FP16 is the growth area which is why they are cutting FP64, even FP64 on their newer professional cards is 1:16.

Edit:

Double Precision = FP64

Single Precision  = FP32

Half Precision      = FP16

3 hours ago, IrshaadH said:

I won't take these results seriously until Turn10 fixes this 1 core utilization bs they keep doing to their games.

it might be the nvidea thread that schedules work for the gpu, as nvidea does that in a single thread (amd does on hardware)

In 1 game...

maxresdefault.jpg

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

Isn’t Forza 7 as of right now not very well-optimized for multicore CPUs?

I remember hearing that it only loads up a single core.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

13 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Uhhh
Yes they do. There are people who've bought 1080 Tis and 1080p monitors (albeit 144Hz) just for the sake of getting as many FPS as possible.

That doesn't mean it isn't a very silly purchase to make.

Currently wondering how much I'd have to turn the textures down to make things play nice with my Fury at 4K.  Either way, this is a game I'll be playing a lot of, so a Vega 56 seems like a decent purchase to me.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Those 99th percentile numbers are what are most interesting to me. Even where they didn't win straight up on avg FPS they had smoother and more stable delivery. I would really like to see why this is and what happens when both teams are properly optimized for. And would the 11GB on the 1080Ti be what gives it an edge at the top end in 4k but the beefier GPU horsepower on the AMD card keeps the minimums more competitive?

6 hours ago, Trixanity said:

That's double precision though (FP64). Nvidia is known to cripple consumer cards so they can sell you a Quadro instead. AMD has also started gutting FP64 a bit. They used to do 1:2 but has since abandoned it. According to the wiki page you linked their ratio is likely to be 1:16 or so. Someone who can actually math is welcome to correct me. If I recall correctly GeForce has a 1:32 FP64.

Starting from GCN2 AMD artificially crippled fp64, but on vega fp64 is not crippled, like with pascal fp64 takes a back seat in the architecture design for faster fp32.

so GCN (like the HD 7970) and vega dont have anything crippled on the consumer side.

12 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Just because a game is optimized for one architecture from amd doesn't mean that it suddenly is great on all of their architectures.

Except the XBone and PS4 don't run on the Vega architecture. So why exactly would MS optimize for it?

2 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Except the XBone and PS4 don't run on the Vega architecture. So why exactly would MS optimize for it?

They don't exactly run on Polaris either though. The GPUs in the one x and PS4 pro are Polaris but borrow certain things from Vega. Plus they're bound to use Vega in the future.

Plus just because the Xbox doesn't use Vega doesn't mean Microsoft doesn't have to optimize for it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Yes. I FUCKING HAVE HEARD OF THEM ALL THE TIME. You people are relentless in pushing high refresh rates to the point where I am fucking sick of hearing about it.

So are people who push high refresh monitors the PC gaming equivalent of Crossfit proselytizers?

1080p is still a thing, i have multiple 1080p monitors. Monitor prices havent come down, a 1080p 60 fps monitor costs the same now as it does a few years ago.

40 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

So are people who push high refresh monitors the PC gaming equivalent of Crossfit proselytizers?

To be fair, it was someone saying that 1080p was dead that drew out the 1080p'ers, they didn't just offer their opinions out of the blue.

If you shake the dogs chain, don't be surprised by the bark.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

4 hours ago, cj09beira said:

it might be the nvidea thread that schedules work for the gpu, as nvidea does that in a single thread (amd does on hardware)

I don't agree that it's an nvidia issue since turn 10 had to fix this very issue in forza horizon 3 by adding a threaded optimization feature.  In addition, gears of War 4 is an amazingly well optimized DX12, uwp title that performs better om nvidia cards.  

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

A weird mix of Crossfit enthusiasts, Herbalife sellers, Jehova's witness and Vegans.

Spoiler

Not really but for the sake of continuing the joke.

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Yes. I FUCKING HAVE HEARD OF THEM ALL THE TIME. You people are relentless in pushing high refresh rates to the point where I am fucking sick of hearing about it.

Yet another of the things that have been successfully marketed as "essential" for gaming.  Like tacky racing style computer chairs.  Keep the gross TN panel, I'll take my 60hz IPS and comfy AF Ikea Malkolm, thanks.

If you suck at CS on a 60hz monitor, you're gonna suck at 144hz.

Or if you really want a ton more frames, just drop from "maxed out" to "very high".  I doubt you'll notice a visual difference.

In the CS:S days I played on a flatscreen CRT at 60hz.  Never had a problem twitching headshots with the scout and getting kicked when other players would get salty.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

2 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Yet another of the things that have been successfully marketed as "essential" for gaming.  Like tacky racing style computer chairs.  Keep the gross TN panel, I'll take my 60hz IPS and comfy AF Ikea Malkolm, thanks.

If you suck at CS on a 60hz monitor, you're gonna suck at 144hz.

Or if you really want a ton more frames, just drop from "maxed out" to "very high".  I doubt you'll notice a visual difference.

In the CS:S days I played on a flatscreen CRT at 60hz.  Never had a problem twitching headshots with the scout and getting kicked when other players would get salty.

That's one of the best and most quotable lines in a while right there.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well, one doesn't magically get better in CS by upgrading their monitor.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Honestly, this shouldn't come as a surprise, vega is a compute Beast, and its pretty obvious it underperformed in games, it's only a matter of time until a dev fully optimised a game for vega 

It would be nice if more newer games would get that treatment, but it's highly unlikely that most games will utilise vega this well 

26 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Tell that to the general "gamer" consumer base who seems to think CSGO and Overwatch will be literally unplayable at less than 100Hz.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

You can get marginally better. But unless you play on a competitive level that margin is unlikely to mean much.