GIMP Pixel exporting really soft.

King_of_Oz

Hey,

I'm trying to make pixel art with GIMP. I'm a total nube. This is my first time using GIMP, or any software of this type. I made this:

3uA800V.png.9afdef71e7a267fb9fa3be973daed795.png

But when I export it as a PNG, It exports all soft and such:

Mirren_002.png.0eaabd35e0897c821c242067925770be.png

KSHZBJS.png.2c6fb7525663b1ac2b1e75062c42a7dc.png

How to fix?

I have the same issue with other images. The res. is 20x20, I think.

All help appreciated!

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

First of all, the resolution of that image is 101x102, not 20x20. When you export pixelart in GIMP, make sure that everything in the export-settings is set just so that the image is exported as original as possible, RAW if you like.

Wi RoZ

3 minutes ago, Wi RoZ said:

First of all, the resolution of that image is 101x102, not 20x20. When you export pixelart in GIMP, make sure that everything in the export-settings is set just so that the image is exported as original as possible, RAW if you like.

6R2HlQx.png.525ebd79863eeedfbd8e37ea7bea4f2d.png

These are my export settings.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

My build:

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

1 minute ago, King_of_Oz said:

6R2HlQx.png.525ebd79863eeedfbd8e37ea7bea4f2d.png

These are my export settings.

that should be fine... can you upload the .xcf?

Wi RoZ

Just now, Wi RoZ said:

Mirren_001.xcf

also,

My build:

3 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

Haha I understand it now. You probably want it to scale and stay sharp like text font does. If you export it to 20x20 it becomes blurry when you zoom in, that is pretty logical. You need to make it scalable somehow but I don't have enough experience with that to help you there

Wi RoZ

5 minutes ago, Wi RoZ said:

I tried exporting as TIF and I had the same problem.

also,

My build:

Just now, Wi RoZ said:

Haha I understand it now. You probably want it to scale and stay sharp like text font does. If you export it to 20x20 it becomes blurry when you zoom in, that is pretty logical. You need to make it scalable somehow but I don't have enough experience with that to help you there

OK! Thanks anyhow.

also,

My build:

In my experience, it's actually easier to do pixel art in Inkscape once you get used to working with vector graphics. Your tools in Inkscape are much more flexible. You can export sharp images at any size and you can stretch or transform vector graphics however you like. In Inkscape, if you go to Preferences->Interface->Grids you can set the grid settings so that it feels like working with pixels without having to painstakingly place or erase each pixel like in GIMP. Just use SHIFT+3 to enable the grid.

Screenshot_2017-10-01T01-39-49Z.thumb.png.08a74d451cb748b322dc1ebf021a24b9.png

6 hours ago, noahdvs said:

In my experience, it's actually easier to do pixel art in Inkscape once you get used to working with vector graphics. Your tools in Inkscape are much more flexible. You can export sharp images at any size and you can stretch or transform vector graphics however you like. In Inkscape, if you go to Preferences->Interface->Grids you can set the grid settings so that it feels like working with pixels without having to painstakingly place or erase each pixel like in GIMP. Just use SHIFT+3 to enable the grid.

Screenshot_2017-10-01T01-39-49Z.thumb.png.08a74d451cb748b322dc1ebf021a24b9.png

Thanks!

also,

My build: