z370 gaming 7 vs gaming 5

Dagnis

For my 8700k build I'm not sure which one to go with. When comparing they seem very very similar. I have some questions about the differences I've found, and if there are any differences in the bios (assuming z270 bios is the same) that I may not be aware of.

One of the differences is the sound. The 7 has some slight differences it seems, but will this really affect me, using a USB wireless headset?

Ethernet port: The 7 gets rid of wifi and has 2 ethernet ports. Now, I think this is suppose to help with bandwidth? If that's the case, would I realistically ever push 1 cable to the point I need two?

"Digital power design": The 7 gets this Server-class Digital Power Design for the power phases and such. I do plan to overclock my 8700k, but most likely only to 4,8-5ghz, depending on my lottery luck (using NH-D15 cooler). Will this difference really affect much? I'm hoping to keep this build around for 8 years or so, will this increase the probability of reaching that mark?

Finally: Bios. I have no idea if there is any difference in settings regarding overclocking, but if anyone knows anything, please share. 

I guess I'm just not sure if the increases given for the Gaming 7, which seem small, would be worth it. This is of course hard to count since we don't have prices yet, but I'd still like to know, generally speaking, how worth the while the differences are.

Thank you for your time and answers!

Wait for the actual z370 boards to come out, since they'll probably be a bit different than z270

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Wait for the actual z370 boards to come out, since they'll probably be a bit different than z270

The specs are already released though. Just wanting to make sure I caught everything. Only thing not released is price. Simply asking the real benefit of the differences. 

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#kf
http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5-rev-10#kf

i can say something about the power delivery, i got the z270 gaming k3, their most budget gamer board anfd it got my i5-7600k to 5Ghz, with 1.305V. so not bad at all, with the bare minimum of phases and such

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

12 minutes ago, Dagnis said:

The specs are already released though. Just wanting to make sure I caught everything. Only thing not released is price. Simply asking the real benefit of the differences. 

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#kf
http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5-rev-10#kf

Derp, didn't realize that.

To me it looks like the gaming 7 has the aforementioned networking differences, more usb 3.1 gen 2 ports (but less gen 3 and gen 2 ones), and a bit better vrms (which seems to be mostly limited to the use of better components allowing for higher current ratings and perhaps better performance)

Unless you need the 3.1 gen 2 ports or something I would say just get the gaming 5. I don't think the vrms will become an issue unless you really really push it past even custom water cooling.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

You're not gaining anything with the extra Ethernet port in your case. Special audio hype tends to be a codec on a generic Realtek chip. Wifi may or may not be worth it to you depending on where system will be located.

24 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

You're not gaining anything with the extra Ethernet port in your case. Special audio hype tends to be a codec on a generic Realtek chip. Wifi may or may not be worth it to you depending on where system will be located.

29 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Derp, didn't realize that.

To me it looks like the gaming 7 has the aforementioned networking differences, more usb 3.1 gen 2 ports (but less gen 3 and gen 2 ones), and a bit better vrms (which seems to be mostly limited to the use of better components allowing for higher current ratings and perhaps better performance)

Unless you need the 3.1 gen 2 ports or something I would say just get the gaming 5. I don't think the vrms will become an issue unless you really really push it past even custom water cooling.

Good to know the advantages aren't really that big or really needed for me (I'd prefer wifi because I'll be using it until I move, which then I'd go hardwire, but one wire should be plenty it would seem). 

21 minutes ago, Dagnis said:

Good to know the advantages aren't really that big or really needed for me (I'd prefer wifi because I'll be using it until I move, which then I'd go hardwire, but one wire should be plenty it would seem). 

The two Ethernet ports shouldn't even matter much at all unless your internet connection is faster than a gigabit, which is extremely unlikely :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The only other difference is the start and reset buttons built onto the motherboard.  Nothing crazy.

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

• 1 month later...

I assume you've already bought now.

Gaming 7 VRM is better, here in Sweden it cost like 400 SEK more but it also come with €40 rather than €20 Steam wallet so the price difference is close to irrelevant.

I may end up getting the ASRock Z370 Extreme4, don't know if the BCLK or anything else make the K6 worth it and the Gigabyte cards cost even more though they are pretty and the Gaming 7 is a very nice board.

If money didn't mattered at all I would take the Gaming 7 (or Taichi, the top ASUS boards or the God like of course, but the Gaming boards from Gigabyte look so nice.)

Gaming 5 has garb VRM and heatsink, Gaming 7 only heatsink.

Go for ASRock K6

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM