Cherry and Corsair announce "next generation" of mechanical keyboard switches

i just saw the video and looked at the top 5 news did not see it so i posted it sorry

Aselwyn1

This is pretty cool but being exclusive on Corsair keyboards makes everyone buy their keyboards if they want these switches. Hope they will give it to other brands in the future. If you really wanted to make a keycap to light up as a different color, I saw @GamerDude having LED covers in the Mechanical Keyboard Club on the keys and they looked pretty good. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I understand not everyone gets as excited over aesthetics but the truth is there usually always is a standard, and then a more aesthetically pleasing version of something that many people are ok with spending a little extra on. I very gladly paid a little more for a Corsair Pro memory that better matched my golden motherboard, and I know many others do similar things. I also know many people avoiding a specific fan brand based solely off their colors.

About the color changing, have you seen Max keyboard's rainbow layouts? I wanted to try soldering something similar myself but that would require buying tools, LEDs and there's the risk of ruining the keyboard. The fact that with this switch I could do that and then go back to a single color backlight with nothing but mouse clicks is to me something to be excited about.

Will I be changing the colors every single day? Probably not. But let me tell you this, if you could change your car's color every month for no cost at all, wouldn't you do that? Wouldn't that almost feel like having a new car or making an upgrade?

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Someone NEEDS to make a TKL cherry mx GREEN keyboard with a backlight. I want one but haven't found one. So if they make a k65 version of this with greens and the RGB there is no stopping me.

Case:NZXT Tempest 410 MOBO:Gigabyte 990fx UD3 CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz CPU-Cooler:NZXT Havik 140 GPU:MSI 7790 @ 1200mhz RAM:Patriot Viper 3 HDD:WD 1tb SSD:Kingston V300 PSU:RM750 

#KilledMyWife  

Led backlighting on keyboards is so stupid, But i guess for the people who like them will be happy.

giphy.gif

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

Were you living in a hole the past month?

From your reply I'd assume yes lol. Google 'give diretide Volvo'

I've actually never seen it, in saying that, I haven't watched any gaming related material for a while so I guess it's understandable.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Led backlighting on keyboards is so stupid, But i guess for the people who like them will be happy.

What's so stupid about it? Is it stupid because it looks cool? Is it stupid because it helps you find the keys in the dark? I guess, on that basis, anything with good function and form is stupid.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

What's so stupid about it? Is it stupid because it looks cool? Is it stupid because it helps you find the keys in the dark? I guess, on that basis, anything with good function and form is stupid.

Personal preference but I don't think it looks cool. It reminds me of a Christmas tree when people got LEDs all over the place. It looks childish most of the time. I don't think it helps with finding keys in the dark either. If you can't touch type then you should really start learning it ASAP. Even if you can't touch type your monitor will still light up your keyboard slightly so that you can see the keys.

Just my 2 cents.

See what I don't understand is why people play in the dark, and why they can't even touch type. I mean common. It really is t that hard and every since I built my computer in August I knew how to touch type by October. Unless you use the computer like an hour a day then I can understand.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

See what I don't understand is why people play in the dark, and why they can't even touch type. I mean common. It really is t that hard and every since I built my computer in August I knew how to touch type by October. Unless you use the computer like an hour a day then I can understand.

Black out gaming is done to better transport you into the game world. If you are blind to your surrounding in the real world, you can feel more "inside the game." I touch type but having a backlight is always helpful for anybody because even if you're not directly looking at the keys, you still see the lights in your peripheral vision.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

BAH!

Been waiting forever for brown switches with red lighting, now it's going to be shitty corsair exclusive?

FUCK THAAAAAAAT SOOOOOO MUCH!

You know that there are other keyboards with cherry mx brown key switches and red backlight

No thanks. I'm happy with genesis.

Not because it looks 'cool' But it's because if people can't be bothered to turn on their damn lights so they can type on their keyboard and on top of saving their eyes from burning out of their sockets from the blinding light of their monitor at night.

The first time I read the title af an article about this a few days ago I thought they were going to release a switch which acts like red, green and blue switches... Which makes no sense. Anyways it's not a bad idea if you plan to keep the keyboard for several PCs and you might switch colour schemes, white never looks right on RGB LEDs though.

The biggest issue with this is they WILL be expensive. RGB LEDs are around $1.20 per LED (in AUD). Of course there will be a discount with the volume they are putting out but be prepared. Your wallet is about to take a hammering if you're interested in one of these.

Also I like white light, just white :)

The biggest issue with this is they WILL be expensive. RGB LEDs are around $1.20 per LED (in AUD). Of course there will be a discount with the volume they are putting out but be prepared. Your wallet is about to take a hammering if you're interested in one of these.

Also I like white light, just white :)

Expensiver* It's not going to be like the titan were to the 680, its just LED's, its crumble compared to the actual switch. But, of course 3 times the led price :)

I just say an article on toms about rgb led mechanical switches on another board.

Black out gaming is done to better transport you into the game world. If you are blind to your surrounding in the real world, you can feel more "inside the game." I touch type but having a backlight is always helpful for anybody because even if you're not directly looking at the keys, you still see the lights in your peripheral vision.

Its also horrible for your eyes unlesd you have some sort of ampient backlight