DISCO Scorpion (old skool modding)

Disco%20Scorp%20Giga%202-X2.jpg

*******New Build and Title more suited to the build.

Current/latest Build Progress Thumbs.

IMG_20171007_160159-Th.jpg IMG_20171007_160746-Th.jpg IMG_20171007_160805-Th.jpg IMG_20171008_165614-Th.jpg IMG_20171008_165719-Th.jpg  IMG_20171008_170020-Th.jpg IMG_20171014_161811-Th.jpg IMG_20171015_160839-Th.jpg IMG_20171031_184340-Th.jpg 

IMG_20171126_083805-Th.jpg IMG_20171126_083757-Th.jpg IMG_20171126_083824-Th.jpg IMG_20171214_145452%20-%20Copy-Th.jpg IMG_20171214_145508%20-%20Copy-Th.jpg IMG_20171214_144517%20-%20Copy-Th.jpg

I haven't modded in what feels like eternity. The past decade or more ive been doing head light and tail light mods for local rev heads.Just as challenging as PC modding but it's sad seeing all you works drive off into the sunset :)

I found this forum from a random google search for some thing modding related and decided to join up.   I'm an old old skool modder.  No fancy sketchup stuff no real plan and usually no real clue!

I just take a case that has something i like about it and get to modding.  All of my previous mods were heavily Perspex themed this will continue thru this mod and will be done from scraps only.

The chassis actually had nothing i liked about it..... just a dumpster find.    An Octek branded oem compaq mini tower.    But something happened one day when i turned it upside down........   My little White Stinger mod.

It's not a pretty case.... but that is where the challenge is. To give the LTT forums something they haven't seen before.

1-M.jpg

In the first few shots Some initial cutting is done to the top/window  front/intake fans  Rear/exhaust fan

You can see this is an old skool design... psu uptop.

1b-M.jpg

2b-M.jpg

But here's the "sting" flip the case upside down and all of a sudden it's got every thing i want for my nightly surfer and the modding starts!

3b-M.jpg

5b-M.jpg

As this is going to be a "Very White" mod. The chassis is given a few coats of dulux vivid white as a base coat to work with.

The final colour before end assembly will be more arctic white to better match "THE PLEX".

6b-M.jpg

7b-M.jpg

Speaking of "THE PLEX" here it comes.... literally.. in scrap bin loads of the stuff.

And the first few bits get us off to a flying start.

Using a DIY line bender to knockup what will be the start of the PSU cover.

The Line bender is just some MDF with some hinges and some alu channel and some Nichrome wire -- 20 AWG Powered by 12v. I switched to this rather then a hot air gun to get sharper cleaner bend lines.

8-M.jpg

9-M.jpg

10-M.jpg

11-M.jpg

MB back Cover, Left blank for now till i decided what board i'll use.

12-M.jpg

13-M.jpg

Front Fan mount panel.

The idea of this build is to clean and maximise space.. no matter how you look at it fans take up space.

This will allow me to incorp the fans directly into the front panel.

No fancy sketchup or lazer cutting just good old dremel and router recess work

14-M.jpg

15-M.jpg

16-M.jpg

The same is done for the rear

17-M.jpg

19-M.jpg

Prolly noticed the PSU cover looks a bit "unfinished" I thought Since the modding scene has gone RGB bat shit crazy lets run with that.

It's bling time!

Nothing too over the top to start with, a simple accent.

20-M.jpg

21-M.jpg

To make this happen the first thing is to paint the back white.

22-M.jpg

Then apply somthing to block out the light.  For this im using some old 3M roof vinyl from my car.

This dosn't have to be perfect or pretty.... it wont be seen.

23-M.jpg

24-M.jpg

25-M.jpg

Then trimmed a few mill from the edges.

27-M.jpg

Because the white plex is a bit translutient if we dont paint the back white before applying the black vinyl it will darken the panel.

A qik light test to show this is effective.

29-M.jpg

Next is to also add white to both sided of the clear light panel, this help to trap light and give a brighter edge,

The 2 sections can be Glued together.  All the light panels in this mod will be made using the same method.

30-M.jpg

31-M.jpg

32-M.jpg

Next is to add the first LED RGB strip.... and DUN DUN DUN OMG WTF BBQ SHIZ yes im using those cheap ebay LED strips....

YUP the ones that will only last 50,000 hours and only give off half the brightness and wont give you a full 180 degrees of full sexy lumins of diffused god like lighting.

I digress, of course im not going to use expensive LED's for the mods your about to see.

34-M.jpg

With the strip in pace the side accent panel can be lowered into place

35-M.jpg

36-M.jpg

The inside edge can be covered using some block out alloy tape.

37-M.jpg

38-M.jpg

On 9/29/2017 at 7:27 AM, Defyant said:

Hi Guys i'm the new guy on this block.  

And from the builds in this forum ive got a lot of catching up to do.  I haven't modded in what feels like eternity. The past decade or more ive been doing head light and tail light mods for local rev heads.Just as challenging as PC modding but it's sad seeing all you works drive off into the sunset :)

I found this forum from a random google search for some thing modding related and decided to join up.   I'm an old old skool modder.  No fancy sketchup stuff no real plan and usually no real clue!

I just take a case that has something i like about it and get to modding.  All of my previous mods were heavily Perspex themed this will continue thru this mod and will be done from scraps only.

The chassis actually had nothing i liked about it..... just a dumpster find.    An Octek branded oem compaq mini tower.    But something happened one day when i turned it upside down........   My little White Stinger mod.

It's not a pretty case.... but that is where the challenge is.

In the first few shots Some initial cutting is done to the top/window  front/intake fans  Rear/exhaust fan

You can see this is an old skool design... psu uptop.

But here's the "sting" flip the case upside down and all of a sudden it's got everthing i want for my nightly surfer and the modding starts!

As this is going to be a "Very White" mod. The chassis is given a few coats of dulux vivid white as a base coat to work with.

The final colour before end assembly will be more arctic white to better match "THE PLEX".

Speaking of "THE PLEX" here it comes.... literally.. in scrap bin loads of the stuff.

And the first few bits get us off to a flying start.

Using a DIY line bender to knockup what will be the start of the PSU cover.

The Line bender is just some MDF with some hinges and some alu channel and some Nichrome wire -- 20 AWG Powered by 12v. I switched to this rather then a hot air gun to get sharper cleaner bend lines.

MB back Cover, Left blank for now till i decided what board i'll use.

Front Fan mount panel.

The idea of this build is to clean and maximise space.. no matter how you look at it fans take up space.

This will allow me to incorp the fans directly into the front panel.

No fancy sketchup or lazer cutting just good old dremel and router recess work

The same is done for the rear

Followed, looks great, looking forward to updates :D

-Lukas

1000$ PC: CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.6ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb G1 gaming Storage: 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm PSU: Corsair Vengeance 550m Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ cherry mx browns Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

Cheers  -Lukas ty mate, there's no shortage of those coming :)

Let the RGB madness begin!!       Got a fav colour?     im warming to that puke green....

39-M.jpg

40-M.jpg

42-M.jpg

43-M.jpg

44-M.jpg

45-M.jpg

46-M.jpg

48-M.jpg

For the back light panel it's really more of the same..... i wont bore you with more cut and paint shots.

Again this part dosnt have to be pretty just functional.

49-M.jpg

50-M.jpg

All the strips are soldered to 4 pin headers.... i also wont bore you with shots of me soldereing end to wires...... but ppl really do it.
What i will give you is a mind numbing amount of RGB madness! :D

The reason ive left a cut out for the light is for another accent.

I used to call these "storm" rings..... from a very old mod many years ago. They are cut from 16mm plex sheets and edge routed on an angle. Hard to do by hand very very slow work to try and not loose a finger tip.....

52-M.jpg

53-M.jpg

Added to the panel it will add a light feature to the beack panel... but it will also cheat as a fan housing :)

54-M.jpg

The light panel can be added to the case with the 4 pin header tucked away in a small top rail.

55-M.jpg

56-M.jpg

And the inner panel with ring attached can be added.

57-M.jpg

Did some one say..... "Can we have some RGB shots of that Defyant"!!!!!

58-M.jpg

59-M.jpg

61-M.jpg

60-M.jpg

63-M.jpg

62-M.jpg

64-M.jpg

A sneeky peek for the next update!

118-M.jpg

Damn that is REALLY nice

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Hey you've got a scorpion on your wall ! :P

Great build man, will keep an eye on this :)

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

20 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

Damn that is REALLY nice

17 hours ago, TheCamba said:

Nicely done!

15 hours ago, AlienALX said:

Hey you've got a scorpion on your wall ! :P

Great build man, will keep an eye on this :)

12 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Nice!

TYVM guys :)  this is pretty old style modding and you never know if there's still a market for it nowadays :)

Tonight's little update is brought to us  from some Rear End Action!

A couple :P of my older case mods had these really cool moulded back panels... some thing i thought was really cool for the time... but some thing you never see now.

I thought i'd have a stab at trying to re create  "some thing".

The first thing to do is to select a victim.. and this piece of cut down 8mm scrap white will do nicely!

197-M.jpg

With the sucker clamped into place i need to make the cutouts...  For this ALOT more clamps are added a starter hole is drilled and the panel is attacked with the trusty makita trimmer.

198-M.jpg

Got snow?

199-M.jpg

The moulded 3D recessed look i want is for the IO  area. And to keep in theme i'll use 3 layers of white clear white plex.

Chunky!

200-M.jpg

Cut down to size.

201-M.jpg

Then measured and cut to size and glued to the back panel.  I'm not joking when i say this took near an hour of routing to cut away the inner section.......

205-M.jpg

204-M.jpg

203-M.jpg

Some RGB strip goodness added..... OUCH look at that ugly ass end.......

206-M.jpg

OOOOOHHH Dayum DAT ASS!

207-M.jpg

And i know you all sayin, D what about some RGB shots!!!

The flood of light above isnt intentional  i just haven "blacked out" that area yet.

208-M.jpg

209-M.jpg

211-M.jpg

212-M.jpg

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

beautiful!

curious to see how the fans will work out

Cheers Nicnac tyvm mate,  Initial tests for now look promising,  Ive been testing with different fans... which means for this mod ive scrapped about 5 sets of fans so far.....

Todays effort was some more scrapping...

The front panel shown has been scrapped also but you can get an idea for now of how they will be set.  There is a thicker more complete panel on the way this weekend so these shots are chop suey for now.  

These shot show the fans temp glued in.,.. but the end mod will use epoxy.

On the plus side.... i get free RGB fans!

Sneeky peek.

86-M.jpg

85-M.jpg

122-M.jpg

124-M.jpg

128-M.jpg

126-M.jpg

Looks great! Very clean. Are you gonna sand the sides and fan cut outs? Might make for an amazing frosted-effect :D 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Staph it’s too nice and pretty

That is gorgeous. You are really egging me on to get stuck into my next project, a Sega AM3 machine. I am just waiting for Supermodel to get Daytona 2 perfect (controls are a bit waffy ATM) and then I am building my own take on a Sega dev kit.

We need more old skool modding. It's quite amazing how much attention this style of modding has been gathering. I think people are just sick to death of hard tubing and CNC etc. Yawn. There is no work in pressing a button !!!

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

7 hours ago, Nicnac said:

Looks great! Very clean. Are you gonna sand the sides and fan cut outs? Might make for an amazing frosted-effect :D 

Cheers mate tyvm :) Frosting /smooth sanding the edges actually looses / dulls light... The routed edge will present the most light.  I learnt alot ripping apart really expensive headlights and finding out what makes Angel Eyes and DRL's work then applying all that to my Defyant style headlight mods.  There's a lotta skull duggery goin on in there but the biggest trick to making light flow was the ruff cut edging.

7 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

Staph it’s too nice and pretty

I just can't man  i have the RGB SICKNESS everyone's catching it and i'm not sure there's a cure in sight anytime soon :(  But cheers tyvm  :)

5 hours ago, AlienALX said:

That is gorgeous. You are really egging me on to get stuck into my next project, a Sega AM3 machine. I am just waiting for Supermodel to get Daytona 2 perfect (controls are a bit waffy ATM) and then I am building my own take on a Sega dev kit.

We need more old skool modding. It's quite amazing how much attention this style of modding has been gathering. I think people are just sick to death of hard tubing and CNC etc. Yawn. There is no work in pressing a button !!!

I know right !   doin all this shit by hand like us just seems silly when you can pay some one else to be creative for you :D  Nah in fact im kinda jelly of the new wave modder.

It's clinical but so is pretty much everything else nowadays.

Modders of old used to be a really tight bunch who hung out in these amazing creative forums and supported and spurred each other to push the limits of what could be created with our own hands. They were special times and we pretty much gave today's modder's everything.

This mod is really just poking a bit of fun at what we are seeing today. God know i would never have made this a decade ago... i may have been laffed out of the community :)

Cheers AlienALX right back at ya mate, i'm also really enjoying following your mods as well mate :D

5 hours ago, Defyant said:

Cheers mate tyvm :) Frosting /smooth sanding the edges actually looses / dulls light... The routed edge will present the most light.  I learnt alot ripping apart really expensive headlights and finding out what makes Angel Eyes and DRL's work then applying all that to my Defyant style headlight mods.  There's a lotta skull duggery goin on in there but the biggest trick to making light flow was the ruff cut edging.

I just can't man  i have the RGB SICKNESS everyone's catching it and i'm not sure there's a cure in sight anytime soon :(  But cheers tyvm  :)

I know right !   doin all this shit by hand like us just seems silly when you can pay some one else to be creative for you :D  Nah in fact im kinda jelly of the new wave modder.

It's clinical but so is pretty much everything else nowadays.

Modders of old used to be a really tight bunch who hung out in these amazing creative forums and supported and spurred each other to push the limits of what could be created with our own hands. They were special times and we pretty much gave today's modder's everything.

This mod is really just poking a bit of fun at what we are seeing today. God know i would never have made this a decade ago... i may have been laffed out of the community :)

Cheers AlienALX right back at ya mate, i'm also really enjoying following your mods as well mate :D

Usually when I say staph like that it means it’s usally good

Ahhhhh i thought it was a slang for " stop" :)   Cheers mate ty, hopefully a decent update otw tomorrow

11 hours ago, Defyant said:

Ahhhhh i thought it was a slang for " stop" :)   Cheers mate ty, hopefully a decent update otw tomorrow

Some people us it for slang and I can’t wait for updates

On 02/10/2017 at 8:22 AM, Billy_Mays said:

Some people us it for slang and I can’t wait for updates

Any day i learn some thing new is a good day, and i learnt some thing new today :D  

I got a bit distracted this weekend trying to finish off a build i started yonks ago.

Did get some vital shit done yesterday tho!   I wasn't  happy with the FRONT panel... i didn't address power or reset and wanted to add a solution for LED strip replacement.( down the track i would like to go full  IC strips)  

Anyways... i thought best to show how the original panel was made then onto the new MK2 version.

Starts off as a sandwich of plex....  an initial hole x 2 is drilled thru all 4 pcs

89-M.jpg

Next is to start the hole making process.....  x 8.........

90-M.jpg

Coasters anyone?

91-M.jpg

Chunky front!!!!!

92-M.jpg

94-M.jpg

i couldnt resist hookin up some rgb's :P

95-M.jpg

96-M.jpg

99-M.jpg

With the RGB sickness out of the way it was time to cut the LED strip channels. this only needs to be cut in the clear layers.

100-M.jpg

im still sick!

102-M.jpg

Again i wont show you pics of me soldering ends onto wires ffs.... no one wants to see that shit.

103-M.jpg

104-M.jpg

Blockout film applied

105-M.jpg

108-M.jpg

Finally panels glued and clamped

109-M.jpg

110-M.jpg

111-M.jpg

Edge is routed to 45 degree

113-M.jpg

112-M.jpg