FireFox 57 is now FireFox Quantum. Mozilla boasts massive performance and GUI improvements

AlTech
6 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

it was like a year 2 years ago when they tried that. 

At first i thought i got infected with a virus or something so i started digging around until i came across a announcement on their forum.

Again... Source? 

This is the first time hearing about this, it never happened to me, and I can not find ANY mention of it anywhere else.

7 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I mainly use Vivaldi and yeah, main reason i use it is mainly for YouTube and the screenshot tool. 

I could live with Edge though: it’s not a bad browser at all. 

Edge is a really good browser actually, it got the essential plugins like lastpass, adblocker and such.

It's missing imagehostgrabber so that's the reason I keep Pale Moon.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, what? Source?

What popups, and where did they say it was them experimenting?

In before you're talking about the new tab page.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/firefox-ads-new-tab/

They supplied small ads on the new tab page and it was easy to disable. It was a bit like suggested content when you first install a browser, rather unobtrusive in this case. Given that they are a non-for-profit foundation it is excusable if they needed more revenue.

Note: Microsoft does the same thing for the entire new tab page. Firefox's implementation was unnoticable in comparison.

Firefox's market share was falling because Chrome temporarily beat them in speed, those users never gave Firefox a chance later. Additionally Chrome has the marketing force of Google behind it so every average Joe started installing Chrome over Firefox and now we have Chrome taking up 65% of the browser market share.

If Firefox cannot regain a significant market share soon, most people will ignore the fact it has overtaken Chrome in speed , the future doesn't look bright.

The end result is:    If Firefox dies, we will be left with the resource hog Chrome run by increasingly creepy Google, or Edge run by Microsoft, doing the same thing.

4 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Never had an issue with typing in URLs. Double click to select all, type in your website, and hit enter.

If you've some gaming keyboard, using a hotkey for Ctrl-A is also an option, albeit a bit inelegant unless you use it a lot. 

I was reading last night I believe there is a setting in the config to allow for single click highlight.

will look into it later. 

Edit: turns out you can enable single click highlight in about:config

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

38 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/firefox-ads-new-tab/

They supplied small ads on the new tab page and it was easy to disable. It was a bit like suggested content when you first install a browser, rather unobtrusive in this case. Given that they are a non-for-profit foundation it is excusable if they needed more revenue.

Note: Microsoft does the same thing for the entire new tab page. Firefox's implementation was unnoticable in comparison.

Firefox's market share was falling because Chrome temporarily beat them in speed, those users never gave Firefox a chance later. Additionally Chrome has the marketing force of Google behind it so every average Joe started installing Chrome over Firefox and now we have Chrome taking up 65% of the browser market share.

If Firefox cannot regain a significant market share soon, most people will ignore the fact it has overtaken Chrome in speed , the future doesn't look bright.

The end result is:    If Firefox dies, we will be left with the resource hog Chrome run by increasingly creepy Google, or Edge run by Microsoft, doing the same thing.

I don't think that's what he is talking about, because those ads

1) Aren't pop-ups. 

2) Only appear on new installs (or more specific, until you had populated all the slots with your own websites). 

3) Were on the new tab page, not injected into websites he visited. 

4) I pointed that out to make it easy for him to find, in case it was that. But he didn't say that was what he was referring to so my guess is that it's something else. 

My guess is that the new tab page ads are the ones he is talking about but misremembering them, or he is lying. The third option would be that he was infected with a virus and thought it was Firefox. 

Has anyone given it a try?  Holy crap have they been "inspired" by the chrome interface xD and it's not the first time they've done that...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

45 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Has anyone given it a try?  Holy crap have they been "inspired" by the chrome interface xD and it's not the first time they've done that...

I switched over to it today as my main browser. So far I have very mixed feelings.

They have completely butchered mouse gestures. Addons are no longer allowed to function on some pages such as about:newtab, so all your mouse gestures will stop working as soon as you switch over to one of the protected pages. I use mouse gestures for all my navigation, so for me I can be navigating like normal and then all of a sudden it just stops and I have to use the mouse cursor to navigate away from that tab.

It's super annoying.

But honestly, I have no idea how you can say that it has been "inspired" by Chrome's interface. They look nothing alike.

Kinda funny how people can say Firefox 56 is a Chrome clone, and yet when they completely redesign the GUI in version 57 they still say it is a Chrome clone...

Just now, LAwLz said:

But honestly, I have no idea how you can say that it has been "inspired" by Chrome's interface. They look nothing alike.

They're extremely similar... Compared to previous versions they've gone to a look and layout that mimics it much closer than it did.  I remember them doing this along time ago too when chrome was new, they suddenly changed from what they had to a lot of chrome-inspired things, but then drifted from it again

Specifically, the menu in the top right is now very much like chrome, and very unlike the way it was in previous versions of FF.

And once you get into the options it's basically exactly how chrome used to be, but chrome was recently changed to look more like android.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I have no idea how you can say that it has been "inspired" by Chrome's interface. They look nothing alike.

I'd say Firefox 57 looks almost exactly like MS Edge, which looks like Chrome with a material design.

Web browser GUI between the three has become a shitshow.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They're extremely similar... Compared to previous versions they've gone to a look and layout that mimics it much closer than it did.  I remember them doing this along time ago too when chrome was new, they suddenly changed from what they had to a lot of chrome-inspired things, but then drifted from it again

Specifically, the menu in the top right is now very much like chrome, and very unlike the way it was in previous versions of FF.

And once you get into the options it's basically exactly how chrome used to be, but chrome was recently changed to look more like android.

To me, saying that Firefox 57 is a Chrome clone because of the top right menu looks similar is like saying Ryan Reynolds and Patrick Stewart looks the same. I can't remember the exact number, but any two human faces are like 99% the same. It's the remaining 1% that we use to identify individuals. I think it's the same with browsers, phones and all other technology categories which often gets dismissed as being full of copycats.

Just now, LAwLz said:

To me, saying that Firefox 57 is a Chrome clone because of the top right menu looks similar is like saying Ryan Reynolds and Patrick Stewart looks the same. I can't remember the exact number, but any two human faces are like 99% the same. It's the remaining 1% that we use to identify individuals. I think it's the same with browsers, phones and all other technology categories which often gets dismissed as being full of copycats.

I never said it was a clone.  What I am saying is both the options and that menu have undeniably been made to look much more like chrome than they did before

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I never said it was a clone.  What I am saying is both the options and that menu have undeniably been made to look much more like chrome than they did before

At the end of the day, it's just a list of options, and all browsers supports more or less the same  basic operations (and has been since forever). It's not really a surprise that they look the same.

28 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They moved the menu from top left to top right , that's not much.

There are only so many ways you can design a menu without making it unusable. Last time I checked chrome cannot have half of its interface redesign using built in methods.

Lastly new Firefox users will almost certainly come from Chrome, I they find the UI confusing they will switch back and Mozilla cannot afford to let that happen.

Just now, ScratchCat said:

Lastly new Firefox users will almost certainly come from Chrome, I they find the UI confusing they will switch back and Mozilla cannot afford to let that happen.

Yeah I get why hey're doing it, making it familiar is always a good thing, and in a situation where many of the competing products are open source and encourage sharing, it makes sense that collectively everyone will converge on one design, more or less.

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Again... Source? 

This is the first time hearing about this, it never happened to me, and I can not find ANY mention of it anywhere else.

your on your own for that, been so long i'm not willing to dig through some old archive

Installed Firefox 58.0a1 nightly on my Arch Linux and now it's my main browser. I had 55 version before and i got bored with stable release. I am an arch user i like beelding edge. FF58 is much much faster then FF55 :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

FF58 Nightly on Android is amazing. Think I might even switch over to it as my daily driver despite the convenience of Chrome's sync.

FF57 Beta on Android has some of the stuff, but not all of it, so it's not quite as crazy fast yet.

I'm really glad to finally see some servo stuff coming over. It'll be really sweet to see them bring more and more of the stuff across, and hopefully they flesh out WebExtensions some more. They've already added a bunch of their own APIs to it for developers of certain kinds of extensions.

46 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

your on your own for that, been so long i'm not willing to dig through some old archive

I think you might have been the only user of Firefox to have that problem. No amount of searching brings up anything besides their attempt at using ads as placeholder icons for frequently visited web sites. So unless you were the victim of some very unique A/B testing, you've had some software installed whether as an extension to Firefox or a separate program. And yes, the burden of proof is ultimately with you when you claim something that has never been documented and cannot be explained any other way than wrongdoing on your part.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

I think you might have been the only user of Firefox to have that problem. No amount of searching brings up anything besides their attempt at using ads as placeholder icons for frequently visited web sites. So unless you were the victim of some very unique A/B testing, you've had some software installed whether as an extension to Firefox or a separate program. And yes, the burden of proof is ultimately with you when you claim something that has never been documented and cannot be explained any other way than wrongdoing on your part.

you make it sound like i need to provide proof. All i did was state why i changed browser. 

If you don't like it then that's your issue

7 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

you make it sound like i need to provide proof. All i did was state why i changed browser. 

You don't need to but in this case it kinda invalidates what you've said without it.

It's not that we don't like it. We don't care what browser you use. I merely find it hard to believe that Mozilla would stoop so low and be so stupid as to inject ads (pop-up ads especially) onto websites. They've made blunders, definitely, but this? That's next level corporate suicide. Especially for a company like Mozilla. Google could get away with it though; by apologizing and claiming A/B testing. 

22 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

They just want to try figure out if it could be true , Mozilla is normally against these kind of things just look at Thier website. It would be a strange move. No proof needed, simply guesses what happened.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They're extremely similar... Compared to previous versions they've gone to a look and layout that mimics it much closer than it did.

I dunno, when I first opened up FF57 a few hours ago, I was kind of reminded more of Edge - That might be because of the square tabs.
- And if you go into customize you can really make it look a lot like Edge...

5 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

They moved the menu from top left to top right , that's not much.

There are only so many ways you can design a menu without making it unusable. Last time I checked chrome cannot have half of its interface redesign using built in methods.

Hmm, what? Menu is at the top right for me in FF56, and has been for... a long time.

Or are you talking about mobile?

Is the old FFox really pissed poor slow? I've been using the new one for over a day and the speed is the same as using my daily driver Opera.

Do i need to run meaningless benchmark to actually see this "massive performance increase"?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Is the old FFox really pissed poor slow?

Nope.

7 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Do i need to run meaningless benchmark to actually see this "massive performance increase?"

Likely, a few sites will run better, but for most situations, it'll be unnoticeable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.