FireFox 57 is now FireFox Quantum. Mozilla boasts massive performance and GUI improvements

AlTech
2 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

For me it highlights it automatically. What version are you running?

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

So far opera on mobile is the only browser that magnifies when you highlight, similar to what the iphone does. 

both current release and this new version don't do it. Maybe it is a Linux thing? Which if it is is even worse.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.b397f232fc48b275ec2e7ecbb117f921.png

Firefox 56

image.png.be03f21fbdbf14ef8c5db0854cf57c13.png

Firefox 58

There is an approximatly ~20% performance boost between Firefox 56 which was released yesterday and Firefox 58 on a freshly installed Nightly. Note that the nightly had only just been installed and was also completing setup while browsing in another window. If they were tested under equal conditions the performance gain would have been even more.

This only includes the gains in the CPU limited portion. The GPU acceleration on Firefox 58 wasn't enabled for the test on Nightly, another place where it could have gained.

In the real world the Nightly install is very noticably snappier , most simpler web pages load instantly compared to 56.

That's fine and all, but I'd rather have noscript etc. than faster loading.

6 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

both current release and this new version don't do it. Maybe it is a Linux thing? Which if it is is even worse.

For mobile? It's not needed for desktops.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

For mobile? It's not needed for desktops.

it is 100% needed for desktops. I never have to think about if I am typing in the middle of a URL with every single other browser.

its a big deal for speed and usability, having to F6 or control A every time I want to go to a website is just plan stupid. 

12 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

it is 100% needed for desktops. I never have to think about if I am typing in the middle of a URL with every single other browser.

its a big deal for speed and usability, having to F6 or control A every time I want to go to a website is just plan stupid. 

For desktop, I just open up a new tab with a blank web address bar, or double click to highlight. Never used F6.

What I meant about the magnifier for mobile is, it lets you see where the cursor is, because your finger will most likely be covering it. My HTC M7 keyboard has the option of using arrow keys. With those, I don't need the magnifier feature, just use the arrow keys to navigate on where I want to place the cursor.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

15 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

For desktop, I just open up a new tab with a blank web address bar, or double click to highlight. Never used F6.

What I meant about the magnifier for mobile is, it lets you see where the cursor is, because your finger will most likely be covering it. My HTC M7 keyboard has the option of using arrow keys. With those, I don't need the magnifier feature, just use the arrow keys to navigate on where I want to place the cursor.

why should I have to open a new tab to get a Feature that every other browser has on the desktop? 

edge has it and I'm willing to bet Internet explorer has it too.

4 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

why should I have to open a new tab to get a Feature that every other browser has on the desktop? 

edge has it and I'm willing to bet Internet explorer has it too.

When I click on a url in the address bar in FireFox it highlights. It's already a feature in FF.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

12 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

When I click on a url in the address bar in FireFox it highlights. It's already a feature in FF.

windows, Linux or mac? On Ubuntu 16 it doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

windows, Linux or mac? On Ubuntu 16 it doesn't. 

On windows. Don't use linux.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

On windows. Don't use linux.

Maybe it's a Linux thing. I'll try on windows when I next get on it. 

Neat.

I will stick with Pale Moon and Edge though.

It just baffles me how the crappy memoryhog called Chrome is so popular.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

6 minutes ago, snortingfrogs said:

Neat.

because of how well it syncs data, what I like about is the profiles. If you have a supervised account you can lock chrome requiring a password to access your stuff. 

22 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Maybe it's a Linux thing. I'll try on windows when I next get on it. 

Just run a vm to test it out.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Just run a vm to test it out.

I'm not installing windows In a vm when I have it installed for a dual boot. 

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

because of how well it syncs data, what I like about is the profiles. If you have a supervised account you can lock chrome requiring a password to access your stuff. 

But then again per default Chrome encrypts your saved logins with your google password, which google can read (I assume so) and therefore read all your logins. This may not seem like much but its just another thing in the bucket of ways google observes your every action.

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

I'm not installing windows In a vm when I have it installed for a dual boot. 

I shall test on Debian Jessie, it worked last time I checked, maybe something to do with Unity?

3 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

It does it for me on Ubuntu 12.04LTS, 14.04, and 16.04 LTS, OS X Sierra and High Sierra, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10, and Android.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

It does it for me on Ubuntu 12.04LTS, 14.04, and 16.04 LTS, OS X Sierra and High Sierra, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10, and Android.

weird so maybe there is something in the config? I'll have a look tomorrow .

I used to use firefox over Chrome right up until they started to inject their popup ads into whatever site i visited.

And no, its not a malware hiding on my comp, their team even stated they are experimenting with that idea to bring in revenue.

42 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

I used to use firefox over Chrome right up until they started to inject their popup ads into whatever site i visited.

And no, its not a malware hiding on my comp, their team even stated they are experimenting with that idea to bring in revenue.

Wait, what? Source?

What popups, and where did they say it was them experimenting?

In before you're talking about the new tab page.

4 hours ago, snortingfrogs said:

Neat.

Because it just works.

Every browser I've tried since Firefox 2 up until today always had some issue or another that lead me back to Chrome every time.  With 16gb of ram, it's not even an issue.

The syncing is the icing on the cake.

4 hours ago, snortingfrogs said:

Neat.

I mainly use Vivaldi and yeah, main reason i use it is mainly for YouTube and the screenshot tool. 

I could live with Edge though: it’s not a bad browser at all. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

43 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, what? Source?

What popups, and where did they say it was them experimenting?

In before you're talking about the new tab page.

it was like a year 2 years ago when they tried that. 

At first i thought i got infected with a virus or something so i started digging around until i came across a announcement on their forum.

I'll probably move to it with my new PC.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

12 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Never had an issue with typing in URLs. Double click to select all, type in your website, and hit enter.

If you've some gaming keyboard, using a hotkey for Ctrl-A is also an option, albeit a bit inelegant unless you use it a lot. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…