FireFox 57 is now FireFox Quantum. Mozilla boasts massive performance and GUI improvements

AlTech

FireFox 57 is now being called FireFox Quantum. That's because Mozilla wants people to know how fast the new upcoming FireFox is.

2017.25.09.FFQuantumBeta_Quantum-1400x77

Engines are important, both in cars and in browsers. That’s why we’re so revved up this morning – we’re releasing the Beta of a whole new Firefox, one that’s powered by a completely reinvented, modernized engine. Since the version number – 57 – can’t really convey the magnitude of the changes we’ve made, and how much faster this new Firefox is, we’re calling this upcoming release Firefox Quantum.

And of course they've made massive GUI changes as well since HiDPI devices are a thing.

It’s not enough to perform well on benchmarks, it’s also important that our users feel like they’re using a well thought out and high performance product.  To reflect all these under-the-hood improvements, we’ve refined and rebuilt Firefox’s user interface through our Photon project. Our talented team of designers and user researchers spent time understanding how users perceive web browsers, and in particular where they felt they were waiting on their browsers.

With the new design, Firefox leaps ahead with a new interface that reflects today’s reality of High DPI displays and users who are more task focused than they’ve ever been. We’re confident that with Photon, Firefox Quantum users will be impressed by the modern new design that puts their needs first. Photon doesn’t just look good, it’s also smarter. If you’re using Photon on a Windows PC with a touch display, the menus change size based on whether you click with a mouse or touch with a finger

Yay! Can't wait for FireFox Quantum to land in November :D!  Mozilla has proven that they want to make FireFox awesome and this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Source: 

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/09/26/firefox-quantum-beta-developer-edition/

Edit: FireFox Quantum will be available on November 14th.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Desktop FF was already good.

It can be a bit sluggish at times. 

Any performance improvements are welcome.

What I really want from Mozilla is a better browser for mobile. 

On IOS they can't really do too much since Apple forces them to use Webkit.

Also there's no better way to make the browser faster and more efficient than integrating an aggressive  host/DNS based adblocker.

They could do that but I have a feeling that they won't.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This update eliminates all stutter most users have experienced, it's now perfectly smooth and feels snappier than Chromium browsers. The beta is available and pretty stable, so there's no need to wait for the final release. :D

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

6 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

This update eliminates all stutter most users have experienced, it's now perfectly smooth and feels snappier than Chromium browsers. The beta is available and pretty stable, so there's no need to wait for the final release. :D

Just updated to 56.0 on Stable :).

Can I install the Beta alongside the normal FF?

Firefox 57 also breaks all existing browser extensions, with the new WebExtensions API being far more limited. So while the extra speed is nice, the step backwards in losing extensions will likely end up losing Firefox a lot of market share. Some extensions can be remade with the new API, but the lack of functionality also means a lot of them will never return.

Is FF going to have a soul again instead of being a weird Chrome knockoff?

13 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

an aggressive  host/DNS based adblocker.

pihole 

Iv been using it for about two weeks. works a lot better than any browser plugin because it covers all devices. I keep adnauseum running because it's icon tells me how many ads it is blocking. In two weeks pi-hole has let through 100 adverts that were caught by adnauseum, but when I look into adnauseum's ad-vault, the "ads" are just normal pictures from facebook.

Before you ask pi-hole does not appear to be blocking ads on youtube, but youtube has been pretty good lately at removing ads with its adpocolypse anyway.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Just updated to 56.0 on Stable :).

Developer Edition can be ran alongside stable FF. It's on the same beta build as the beta version.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

yes

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Firefox 57 also breaks all existing browser extensions, with the new WebExtensions API being far more limited. So while the extra speed is nice, the step backwards in losing extensions will likely end up losing Firefox a lot of market share. Some extensions can be remade with the new API, but the lack of functionality also means a lot of them will never return.

Many extensions have already updated. All the ones I use have been updated to be FF57 ready.

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Is FF going to have a soul again instead of being a weird Chrome knockoff?

since when did FF knock off chrome? Everyone has ripped off FF!

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

if extensions are an excuse then those users have too many extensions.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

since when did FF knock off chrome? Everyone has ripped off FF!

FF used to have an identity forever ago before it became some bloated mess it didn't know what it wanted to be. Maybe I'll have a reason to try it again.

Can't wait for my SSD to return from RMA so I can install the thing again. 

Ye ole' train

Just now, Mooshi said:

FF used to have an identity forever ago before it became some bloated mess it didn't know what it wanted to be. Maybe I'll have a reason to try it again.

Iv been using it since netscape. it has never been bloated it just appears that way because google came up with a very fast javascript engine and FF was stuck on a design intended for single core machines.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Many extensions have already updated. All the ones I use have been updated to be FF57 ready.

Not that many. Of the top 20, only 5 have beta level support. Many extensions will never be updated for the new API. Here is the reaction of the developer of Downthemall, currently the 9th most popular FF extension. Warning: Profanity.

on one hand i would gain Sync back, in the other Vivaldi has been amazing for me for almost a year now and Sync is coming (hopefully before the release of Ubuntu 18.04). I think i'll stay on Vivaldi for the time being

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

How about for the first time, Mozilla is implementing multi threaded processes just like Chrome version 1 in 2008. I’m currently on the Nightly of Firefox, so far so good. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Half of my extensions are gone in 58, I don't have many,but like mouse gestures and lastpass add on aren't compatible yet.

Those extensions have to be rewritten

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

50 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Isn't the point of the new API to remove all the security problems with the 'open' API of old? By limiting what extensions can do, you improve security in a very easy way. I'm not saying it's impossible to allow low-level stuff while remaining secure but it's probably a lot of work and requires constant vigilance from Mozilla and others to make sure no extension gets past any measures they may have.

The new API might be crude in its approach to security and very rigid too but at the same time it's the easy way. There is also the fact they're probably catering to the masses rather than the niche audience of techies having a bunch of 'advanced' extensions. Granted, I don't think Mozilla can regain many Chrome users even by catering to them.