Should I Buy 1070 Founders Edition??

Hey All,

Basically, I LOVE the reference or "founders edition" version of all the 10 series cards.

my question is: is the factory overclock used on custom cards worth it if I REALLY love the founder's edition aesthetic?

I know for some people any performance difference is worth it but my question is whether it is only a couple of frames??

thanks for any help in advance :)

Most cards in the pascal series have GPU so they boost to a higher frequency, factory OC or not. Though you might not hit as high frequencies due to power and thermal limitations, but I dont think it will  be super significant

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

This may help you.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

Just now, dual290x said:

This may help you.

Thanks, Man!!

(founders in WAY cheaper in the UK so hoping they're not :P)

It won't be very significant if any performance gain. As said above, the GPU boost usually takes them above their official boost clocks. The 1070 doesn't usually get hot and gets similar boost speeds to third party custom PCB cards. If you really like the founders edition aesthetic, and don't care about really pushing your card with overclocking, go with the Reference founders edition if thats what you prefer aesthetically.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

In the case of Pascal it has plenty of thermal headroom regardless of the cooling solution, and regardless of the factory OC they all have relatively similar limits.  If it's cheaper and looks better to you that's a bonus.

16 minutes ago, UselessChimp said:

(I don't Intend On Overclocking The Card)

Now but think about the future. I would only consider reference card if its significantly cheaper most custom designs will have better thermals and usually run more quite and chilly at same GPU speeds than reference ones.

i mean u could just buy a normal 1 and oc it yr self??

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

4 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

Now but think about the future. I would only consider reference card if its significantly cheaper most custom designs will have better thermals and usually run more quite and chilly at same GPU speeds than reference ones.

The founder's edition is currently £40 cheaper

($53)

1 minute ago, CatXice said:

i mean u could just buy a normal 1 and oc it yr self??

Yes but most custom cards have a higher power target which will grant you more headroom for over clocking. Or does this not apply to Pascal GPU'ś?

they all have a flat power limit set by nivida just put it on 100% power and it will draw the same as every other card on the market with in margin of error only thing with founders cards it will be louder and it will be hotter 

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

I get you man. Founders edition cards are dealing good looking. 

I'd go for it, just cause the disadvantages aren't that big. And you're saving money for a game or something.

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Buy FE cards if:

- You don't care for the looks of the AiB-custom models better

- If you really want to save that $40-60 for a FE model

- If you don't mind the possibility of slightly lower maximum clocks vs. buying a card that an AiB might have pre-binned.

Power limit is the same across all cards of the same model. Voltage limit is the same across all cards of the same model. Thermal limit is the same (well technically this one you can adjust manually depending on how hot you like your card to run) across all cards of the same model. However, an AiB model with a more robust cooling solution will keep your card cooler at lower noise levels.