Changes you'd like to see in motherboard design?

minervx

I'm hoping this aspect of computers leave the 1990's.

• Every single one of them should have Wifi and Bluetooth 5 by now.  It's 2017.  Raspberri Pi has wifi even...  
  • Every single one of them should have USB-C by now.
  • A BIOS that doesn't look like it came from the Bill Clinton era.
  • Specialized keyboard/mouse/microphone ports are a waste of space for the majority people.
  • VGA ports.  Why do they even exist?
  • If we're sticking to physical data, an SD reader would be nice.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

PS2 ports can be quite useful in many scenarios.

I really don't know what you want to be done to the bioses.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1. It is a desktop not a laptop, BT maybe but most people should get Ethernet by now

2. Why

3. Any specific thing you don't like about BIOS? 

4. As if having a WiFi isn't a waste for majority of people too? 

5. Uh, VGA doesn't exist on Sky/Kaby/Ryzen/TR. What are you on about? 

6. Who uses SD card? 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

1. It is a desktop not a laptop, BT maybe but most people should get Ethernet by now

Not everyone uses ethernet.  For many people, it's an aesthetic preference to not have a bunch of wires and cables by their setup.  Also, if there are multiple computers in the house, I'm going to drill holes in my wall or run a giant 200 ft cable from my roommates bedroom to the living room to my room.  Sure, there are powerlink adapters and such, but that just raises the price even further on what I could spend on other parts.  

4. As if having a WiFi isn't a waste for majority of people too? 

It would be a more useful feature to more people.  For a person who needs wifi, not having wifi support essentially raises the price of the motherboard for $10-40 depending on what kind of adapter is purchased.

6. Who uses SD card? 

Physical data storage is outdated anyway.  But if we're still using headphone jacks and ports, we may as well have SD card support for smartphone and camera users that don't like clouds.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

1 minute ago, minervx said:

-snip-

You ignored three points, and for the sd card one smartphones use microsd not sd

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

There are cases with front panel SD card slot so it's not the mobo problem

I wanna see:

6 phase power designs on lower end mobos (B350)

actually working mosfet heatsinks

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

2 hours ago, minervx said:

I'm hoping this aspect of computers leave the 1990's.

• Every single one of them should have Wifi and Bluetooth 5 by now.  It's 2017.  Raspberri Pi has wifi even...  
  • Every single one of them should have USB-C by now.
  • A BIOS that doesn't look like it came from the Bill Clinton era.
  • Specialized keyboard/mouse/microphone ports are a waste of space for the majority people.
  • If we're sticking to physical data, an SD reader would be nice.

1. Not everyone cares about them, though high end boards and many cheaper ITX ones come with WiFi. Not to mention WiFi is also slower than Ethernet. As for BT, I can connect my phone to the PC with the charging cord.

2. USB-C isnt compatible with older USB, so compatibility is low and should only be included in high-end boards.

3. UEFI BIOS is around for quite some time now.

4. There is space available on the rear I/O shield, so why not?

5. For those using a cheap and old monitor as secondary monitor. Again, there's empty space on the back.

6. Some PC cases do come with one. Besides, it's 2017 as you said (and it is), who still use SD cards? Even in cameras many people use adapters to fit microSD instead so they can transfer pictures to their phones easily.

2 hours ago, minervx said:

Not everyone uses ethernet.  For many people, it's an aesthetic preference to not have a bunch of wires and cables by their setup.  Also, if there are multiple computers in the house, I'm going to drill holes in my wall or run a giant 200 ft cable from my roommates bedroom to the living room to my room.  Sure, there are powerlink adapters and such, but that just raises the price even further on what I could spend on other parts.  

It would be a more useful feature to more people.  For a person who needs wifi, not having wifi support essentially raises the price of the motherboard for $10-40 depending on what kind of adapter is purchased.

Physical data storage is outdated anyway.  But if we're still using headphone jacks and ports, we may as well have SD card support for smartphone and camera users that don't like clouds.

1. Why would an average PC user be bothered with the ethernet cable? Even if that's taken away, there's still the main power cord and display output. As for the cable issue, using WiFi is only good for those who dont care about speed that much because you will need to use multiple routers to provide strong signal for all the rooms.

2.On the other perspective, those who dont need WiFi save $10-40 on the motherboard.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

i would want that they remove all that useless crap. 

f.e. 

- WiFi

- Integrated Sound

- Integrated LAN

- Bluetooth

I dont need any of it and i dont wanna pay for it.

Motherboards should be minimalistic and way less expansive or higher quality. Most of it should stay optional. 

I do like PS2 though because its still the best way to connect your Keyboard. But i wont ever need more then 4 USB ports no matter if they are 2.0/3.0/3.1/ 50.3 and i dont even have a peripheral that supports anything higher then 2.0 besides a USB-Stick?! wtf ... 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Your wants are my do not wants and your do not wants are my wants wow haha.

I want actual heatpipes and fin heatsinks made out of copper. Higher quality components.

The Oled post displays recently are quite nice.

6 hours ago, minervx said:

Every single one of them should have Wifi and Bluetooth 5 by now.  It's 2017.  Raspberri Pi has wifi even...  

Yay, more stuff that I won't use that adds to purchase price and probably won't work out of the box.

Every single one of them should have USB-C by now.

Ehh, the only thing most people have that actually uses USB-C are their phones, so you can easily go USB 3.0 to USB C.  Even still, just about any B350 board has USB-C.

A BIOS that doesn't look like it came from the Bill Clinton era.

The BIOS shouldn't use much processing power, so I'm totally fine with it being super-minimalistic.  Even when the BIOS has mouse support I don't usually end up using it.  More options > pretty colors and feeling like an OS.  That said, I see nothing wrong with the BIOS on either my Asrock B350 board, or my Asus Crosshair.

Legacy support is useful to fix things you completely FUBAR the USB driver somehow.  VGA is useful for servers because you can just feed it a signal whether there's a monitor plugged in/detected or not.

If we're sticking to physical data, an SD reader would be nice.

Easier to just build this into the case, since you generally don't want to have to reach behind the computer just to access the cardreader.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

USB 2.0 headers, these are still useful for stuff like the hue+ etc 

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

51 minutes ago, kk027 said:

Why? The only "useless" one is Wi-Fi. 

because they are low quality shit and if you turn onboard audio and lan off using dedicated cards you have roughly 10% more performance out of your CPU.

If you go with a nice DAC or dedicated Soundcard the soundquality will be from another world compared to onboard sound. Onboard sound got better but its still bad.

When i installed my SB ZXR it made such a big difference its like having a completly different PC, WTF.

They should ship the Motherboards with decent dedicated cards instead of building this shitstuff on to the board...

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

4 hours ago, dexT said:

fin heatsinks made out of copper. Higher quality components.

There's a reason they use anodized aluminum. If you don't have forced airflow then emissivity is more important than conductivity for heat transfer, and dense fin stacks don't radiate heat the way you might expect without active airflow.

So sure, copper might be better for people who give proper attention to airflow, but it's bad for people doing liquid, custom, low airflow, etc. builds. In general it's better to have a solution that's good enough for 99% of users than one that's great for some, good enough for most, and unusable for many. If the solution that works better in general also happens to look better, last longer, and be cheaper, that's just icing on the cake.

I want to see more sata 3 ports on on motherboards.

USB 2.0 should be completely phased out for at least USB 3.0 with more than one USB C port.

More space around the socket and memory to help lessen clearance issues with massive air coolers.

More fan headers that can handle ultra high draw fans.

Mini displays that show in detail what error code you are pulling.

Reinforced PCIE slots should be standard in this age of 20lb video cards.

Water cooled VRMs.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

1 hour ago, Strike105X said:

One small correction, mid range. The 320 chipset is supposed to be low end, but b350 as a mid range chip should be accompanied like you said by a 6 phase power design. Why mobo manufacturers haven't learned from their mistakes in the fx days is beyond that, also most heatsinks work acceptable (but there is certainly room for improvement like you mentioned) but the main problem i've seen mostly is the use of inferior low quality thermal pads, though it was even worse in the fx days.

I take it by price.

Cheaper Z370/270s have the 3phase jokes.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

One that splits in half whilst remaining fully functional, think of the possibilities...

IDE connectors

PS2 ports

Multi bios switch

All boards should have an on/off button and reset bios button .. no excuse

Addition VRM expansion for overclockers and enthusiasts.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

Your wants are not other's needs. Half those features aren't used by regular people. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

18 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

Your wants are not other's needs. Half those features aren't used by regular people. 

So regular people get to enjoy a higher quality product as a result of board makers catering to those who demand said higher quality product.

Not to mention there will always be budget boards.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."