Heat issues with evo 960 nvme 250GB

Rotendahl

Hey guys

I have build the PC you can see down below. It is the first time I've build in such a small case, aswell as used a m.2 NVMe SSD. I have an issue where the SSD runs at 70 degrees celsius, under moderately load. I don't know much about disk temps, but that seems high. The main issue is that the PC will shut down, and then turn on again right after. I have tried with a traditional evo 850 2,5 inch without any issues, so it seems to be a heat issue (you might have already face palmed at this, and yes i am new to this and therefore by definition a noob XD)

My question then. Based on the case, is there anyway i can add more cooling to it? The only fan i have, right now, is the stock cooler for the CPU, since i did not know that the SSD needed additional cooling. I don't see how since the only place for case fans is under the GPU slot, and it would be very hard to create good air circulation in there.

If i forgot any details you need please ask, and thank you so much for your time!

Build:

Case and PSU: Fractal node 202 with SFX PSU 450W

SSD: Samsung 960 evo 250 gb

CPU: Intel i3 7100

Ram: Corsair valueselect 8 gb ram single channel

MOBO: MSI B250i gaming pro AC

I am just using the integrated graphics

70C is typically the maximum operating Temperature of Samsungs SSDs now

I have a similar NVMe SSD by Samsung (it's an older PM951 512GB). I got a relatively cheap (under £20/$20) double-sided M.2 Heatsink (Alphacool HDX to be precise, as I got it cheap, but other ones are available as there's more on the market nowadays)

In an open case, I went from reaching 80C under FULL load - as part of a long read speed benchmark -  down to just 65C and taking a LOT longer to get to that temp and well (not to mention getting much higher read speeds than otherwise advertised).

Even in a build I made for a friend in a Silverstone SG13B, a normal M.2 SSD went down by 5C under full load by adding loads of tiny heatsinks to it for £3.

6 minutes ago, SithBowman said:

70C is typically the maximum operating Temperature of Samsungs SSDs now

I have a similar NVMe SSD by Samsung (it's an older PM951 512GB). I got a relatively cheap (under £20/$20) double-sided M.2 Heatsink (Alphacool HDX to be precise, as I got it cheap, but other ones are available as there's more on the market nowadays)

In an open case, I went from reaching 80C under FULL load - as part of a long read speed benchmark -  down to just 65C and taking a LOT longer to get to that temp and well (not to mention getting much higher read speeds than otherwise advertised).

Even in a build I made for a friend in a Silverstone SG13B, a normal M.2 SSD went down by 5C under full load by adding loads of tiny heatsinks to it for £3.

Do you have a link for a heatsink of that kind? It might be able to help :) I am a bith unsure though, since the m.2 drive is mounted to the back of the motherboard, so there is not more clearance than the motherboard stand offs (actually a little less since the SSD pertrudes a bit from the MOBO)

10 hours ago, Rotendahl said:

Do you have a link for a heatsink of that kind? It might be able to help :) I am a bith unsure though, since the m.2 drive is mounted to the back of the motherboard, so there is not more clearance than the motherboard stand offs (actually a little less since the SSD pertrudes a bit from the MOBO)

EK normally makes good products and saw they released one recently https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-m-2-nvme-heatsink-black

Here's the one that I have, It's about as low profile as you can get for m.2 heatsinks https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=37B-0003-00023