i9-7980XE: Overclocked to run all 18 cores beyond 6 GHz

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I knew about them but they never actually have any in stock. Plus they haven't shown what kind of life cycle they have (that I'm aware of).

I'd rather have a manual loop

6 minutes ago, dexT said:

I'd rather have a manual loop

Still have an issue with wasting ln2 though, but I remember seeing it.

4 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Still have an issue with wasting ln2 though, but I remember seeing it.

Cascade phase change would be my choice for this kind of thing. Then you're wasting electricity with the cost possibly equal to losing 100% of the ln2 though.

In all sorts of industries, tech gets pushed to its absolute limits.. and this is actually useful information when developing the next generation of products. 

We see that an 18 core CPU and run at 6GHz, but you may say it’s “unreasonable”, this shows the current architecture CAN do it, and is limited by tempature. If this CPU was made on a more power efficient process, you could actually see these clocks on an 18 core in more “normal” conditions (in the future of course)

Also CPU manufacturers give these people unreleased CPUs to test for a reason. Pushing it to its limits brings out the weaknesses and also strengths of an architecture that aren’t as apparent under normal conditions

its like asking why BMW tests cars on professional race tracks when almost no one who buys one is going to. Or why Bugatti wanted to put 1000hp in a car when there was only one specific track where it could ALMOST hit its top speed

1 hour ago, zberry7 said:

In all sorts of industries, tech gets pushed to its absolute limits.. and this is actually useful information when developing the next generation of products. 

We see that an 18 core CPU and run at 6GHz, but you may say it’s “unreasonable”, this shows the current architecture CAN do it, and is limited by tempature. If this CPU was made on a more power efficient process, you could actually see these clocks on an 18 core in more “normal” conditions (in the future of course)

Also CPU manufacturers give these people unreleased CPUs to test for a reason. Pushing it to its limits brings out the weaknesses and also strengths of an architecture that aren’t as apparent under normal conditions

its like asking why BMW tests cars on professional race tracks when almost no one who buys one is going to. Or why Bugatti wanted to put 1000hp in a car when there was only one specific track where it could ALMOST hit its top speed

LN2 is not a "resonable" operating condition, is the problem.  Material properties all change at temperatures that low and will never  be replicated under real world testing conditions.  You can't simply say "oh well it means you can get 6Ghz if heat is not the issue".  On my 7700K I was slamming 1.75V through it, not thermal throttling, and I couldn't get it to post at 5.6Ghz when it'll do way beyond that on LN2.  I was doing it with direct die 1 degree C water.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)