"The iPhone 8/8+ dethroned Android's Google Pixel as the best smartphone camera at the moment", according to DxO Mark

Sources: DxO Mark via The Next Web

Test summary

The Apple iPhone 8 Plus is the best-performing mobile device camera we have ever tested. Its overall DxOMark Mobile score of 94 sets a new record, beating out the 90 points for both the Google Pixel and the HTC U11, as well as the 92 that its sibling iPhone 8 just scored. Its Photo score of 96 is also a new record, blowing past the Pixel’s 90. For Video, its score of 89 is among our highest, but tied with the HTC U11 and slightly below the Pixel’s 91. Of course, the Pixel is nearly a year old now, so it makes sense that Apple’s new flagship is breaking new ground.

8Plus-video-exposure-1024x399.png

59c860cd96c59_Screenshot(300).png.228393aaff45615bd31b943ee5fd0ce0.png

Pros

• One of the best HDR performances of any device we have tested
  • Excellent use of face detection to accurately expose faces
  • Overall, the best zoom we’ve tested
  • Best Bokeh we’ve seen in a mobile device, but still room for improvement

Pros

• Very good stabilization
  • Best exposure of any Apple device, but still not industry-leading
  • Very good color rendering under almost all lighting condtions
  • Good face tracking in bright light

Cons

• Color cast in low and indoor (tungsten) lighting
  • Some autofocus issues

Cons

• Some exposure issues
  • Visible noise in low-light conditions

A note about image formats for this review: The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus record photographs in the DCI-P3 colorspace, which their displays also use. DCI-P3 is newer and larger than the sRGB color space that most devices use and most web browsers assume. So to ensure that the images we used in the review display properly on a wide variety of browsers and devices, we converted the originals from DCI-P3 to sRGB using Photoshop (which is why the published test photos show Photoshop as the creator). This can slightly reduce the richness of color in some cases from what you would see when viewing the original images on a DCI-P3-calibrated display with appropriate software. We also captured the original images using the new HEIF (High-Efficiency Image Format), but then converted them to very high-quality JPEGs for viewing in standard browsers and image editing software. (HEIF is very similar to JPEG, but provides better compression for similar image quality, so the conversion makes the sample image file sizes larger than they were when shot.) Please note, however, that unlike our test images, some of the comparison photos used in this review were shot in JPEG and used as-is for illustrative purposes, and were not used to compute scores.

Here are some of the samples from DxO:

160-2-1.jpg

ip8Plus-IMG_0632-e1506012416796-768x1024.jpgip8Plus-IMG_0639.jpgip8Plus-IMG_0646.jpg

Just a question though? Do web browsers still not support HEIF? Though the test results doesn't surprise me since the iPhone since the iPhone 4s are known to have very good cameras and I'm sure the likes of Samsung and Google are currently waiting to have their cameras improved maybe a few points higher than the iPhone 8+. 

That 4K 60fps is looking very good though :o

Even though I hate the shit out of iOS 11, I think I might get the iPhone 8+. The Galaxy Note 8 is a good phone too but I have no need for the S Pen. Also, I encourage everyone to read the Dx) review. While I don't think a dinky smartphone sensor can be better than a dSLR with a full frame sensor, it only shows how much better smartphone cameras have become since the last five years. If someone puts an iPhone 4s beside an iPhone 8 and test their cameras, it's easy to spot which is the new one. Although there are things that Apple can still improve in their cameras:

1. Option for manual controls
  2. Camera settings inside the camera app
Edited by hey_yo_
fixed for night theme users..., added more videos

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

New phone takes the meaningless "best camera" crown? Shocking.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

At the end of the day, a camera is a camera.  Why not test it normally like everything else?  Cut this separate mobile section crap and throw it in with all the real cameras if it's so good...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Watch the Pixel 2 take the crown from the iPhone 8+

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Damn, the very first photo is impressive as hell.

Still wish you could record at 720p60 without using some other camera app.

The iPhone 8/8+ can record both 1080p and 4K at 60fps. Why bother with 720p?

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Yeah I thought they had that....

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Mainly storage reasons.

Although I was referring more to in general; my iPod touch can record in slow motion at 720p but doesn't have an option to record at 720p60; just 720p30 and 1080p30.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

Watch the Pixel 2 take the crown from the iPhone 8+

I don't think anyone who's invested on iOS or Android would switch just because the camera scored very high in DxO. Also, how many people know DxO?

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Mainly storage reasons.

Although I was referring more to in general; my iPod touch can record in slow motion at 720p but doesn't have an option to record at 720p60; just 720p30 and 1080p30.

pretty sure ipod touch 6th gen has a iphone 5s or 6 camera. 

the 6s can do 1080p 60fps, and 720p 240fps, and 4k 30fps. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Not too surprising, Apple has always had an excellent camera. I wish Android OEMs would put as much work in as Apple has. I'm also interested to see how Huawei's new cameras perform, seeing they'll also have a pretty powerful SoC.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

At the end of the day, a camera is a camera.  Why not test it normally like everything else?  Cut this separate mobile section crap and throw it in with all the real cameras if it's so good...

Not quite ;) Why compare it against a DSLR? They're entirely different markets.

Comparing it with other mobiles lets you see how it stacks up against a similar purchase.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Mainly storage reasons.

Probably because Apple thinks 1080p is a storage saver already since they now ship iPhones with 64 GB as base model.

Just now, dizmo said:

Not quite ;) Why compare it against a DSLR? They're entirely different markets.

Comparing it with other mobiles lets you see how it stacks up against a similar purchase.

Because I'd like to see just how big the gap is in different tests.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

There was a comparison between the iPhone 7+ vs an old Nikon D300S.

and between the iPhone 6s vs Sony A7RII

Surprisingly for video, the iPhone is close to the dSLR.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I was actually looking at a comparison a couple of days ago. A DSLR does much better in the processing department. Better colors, image quality (especially when enlarged), etc.

If you want to take a gander: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/shootout-redux-smartphone-camera-vs-tricked-out-dslr-one-year-later/

Cell phone cameras are getting a lot closer, but still get destroyed in low light.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Cell phone cameras are getting a lot closer, but still get destroyed in low light.

No matter how much hardware stabilization they add, low light performance of a smartphone camera is limited by the size of the sensor so digital noise is always noticeable. Unless there's a way to cram a full frame sensor inside a smartphone without making it thicker and bulkier and how will they manufacture zoom lenses for such smartphone? 50 mm f/1.8 zoom lens on a phone? Not happening.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

No matter how much hardware stabilization they add, low light performance of a smartphone camera is limited by the size of the sensor so digital noise is always noticeable. Unless there's a way to cram a full frame sensor inside a smartphone without making it thicker and bulkier and how will they manufacture zoom lenses for such smartphone? 50 mm f/1.8 zoom lens on a phone? Not happening.

For now. Innovation is a wonderful thing. Anything is possible, with the right drive.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Good job Apple, very impressive. The 4K 60fps video is incredible, as are the photos.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

26 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

There was a comparison between the iPhone 7+ vs an old Nikon D300S.

and between the iPhone 6s vs Sony A7RII

Surprisingly for video, the iPhone is close to the dSLR.

Yeah I will have a look at those :) 

But I wouldnt' be too surprised about video though, DSLRs aren't really designed for that, and video is a lot more forgiving imo

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I was actually looking at a comparison a couple of days ago. A DSLR does much better in the processing department. Better colors, image quality (especially when enlarged), etc.

If you want to take a gander: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/shootout-redux-smartphone-camera-vs-tricked-out-dslr-one-year-later/

not surprising.  idk if you can say they're getting closer though, they improve over time but then so does everything else, and at the end of the day sensor size is always going to be an important factor; it's just physics.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But I wouldnt' be too surprised about video though, DSLRs aren't really designed for that, and video is a lot more forgiving imo

I don't know if newer dSLRs have overcome the video limit of 20 minutes recording or else the sensor will get too hot. I wonder if the likes of Sony, Nikon or Canon bothered to put a heat pipe in the sensor or any other cooling method.

6 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't know if newer dSLRs have overcome the video limit of 20 minutes recording or else the sensor will get too hot. I wonder if the likes of Sony, Nikon or Canon bothered to put a heat pipe in the sensor or any other cooling method.

It's probably not worth their time to do so considering the typical user of a DSLR isn't going to be using it for extended videos -- it's not like video cameras don't already exist that can record for >20 minutes. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

-- Already fixed --

Fixed for night theme :P

Edited by Guest
Already fixed, so shrinkage

2 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Fixed for night theme :P

fixed it