How to create a custom fully functional case?

Cool_BoyD^-^

Hey, guys! How to create a custom fully functional case? I want to build something unique and very personal? Can anyone with the expertise help me?

The case is pretty much up to your imagination. Just gotta make sure you have the  motherboard stands in the right place and the rest is up to you

Just now, tp95112 said:

The case is pretty much up to your imagination. Just gotta make sure you have the  motherboard stands in the right place and the rest is up to you

any material or so? And I don't have any tools though...

2 minutes ago, Cool_BoyD^-^ said:

Hey, guys! How to create a custom fully functional case? I want to build something unique and very personal? Can anyone with the expertise help me?

It depends what your planning or wanting to make since there are lots of ways of making a case. If your looking at acrylic like the Parvum ones as in the other thread your going to want to look into getting someone to laser cut it for you. 

I thought for Parvum ones but they only make pointy cases.. and also cost alot.. So I am kinda backing off that.

Its really up to you, but the main things I would suggest having would be

Motherboard standoffs (Duh)
Rear IO cut-out
PCIe cut-outs
PSU cut-out
Rear exhaust fan spot
Front intake fan spot(s)

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

You cant build anything without tools period.

If you want to build something with basic hand tools repurposing existing items is going to be easiest. Reuse the motherboard tray out of an existing case and put it into something else. This can be done with screwdrivers, a saw or two, and a set of files.

Wood can be easily worked with hand tools too.

Plastics and acrylics can be wotked with hand tools, but power is much easier.

Metal is so time consuming to work by hand power tools are a necessity.

Decide what tools you want to invest in and if its worth it to you. Personally I have a shop that is full of tools because I need them. If you are never going to use them again it may be easier to pay someone to build something.

@Cool_BoyD^-^ I don't think I have "the expertise", but I did make a custom case out of a metal tool box (in my signature). Not completely from scratch, but it sure qualifies as "custom". Also, I've drawn a ton of custom cases, though I have yet to actually build them. Anyway, the tools you'll need will obviously depend on what you actually choose to do, but I'd recommend getting a power drill, a screwdriver with a ton of different heads/bits, a saw, a file, some pliers, bolts, and nuts. These are the basics.

When designing a PC case, the main things you have to consider are the mounting points for your components, and the airflow. Mounting fans or PSUs is pretty straightforward, as you'll mostly need to drill a few holes for the mounting screws and cut an opening for the air/cables. However, you'll have to consider some kind of padding and rubber mounts if you care about noise and vibrations. The trickiest part is the motherboard, since a misalignment of one millimeter can prevent you from securing it in place. I'd recommend either taking the tray and the mount for the expansion cards from an old system, or using bolts and nuts, which is much more flexible than drilling holes and putting standoffs in them. Whatever you do, don't forget that you need a power button somewhere. You'll need a momentary (changes the circuit state only while being pressed down) NO (open when it's not being pressed) switch and some wires. You don't need a soldering iron, twisting the end of the wires works fine, but you should consider salvaging some plastic heads from actual connectors so that it can be plugged and removed from your motherboard headers with ease.

As I said, I've only ever built one custom case, but I'd say what matters the most is how well you've planned your custom build. Make drawings, renders, paper models, whatever, but just don't rush it or assume you're going to figure out anything while building. If you realise something is not going to work during the build, take a step back and plan again. Otherwise, you'll make mistakes: most of the time, when something's cut or drilled, you won't be able to repair it. Here are some pictures of my current project, as an example.

Spoiler

20171002_233550.thumb.jpg.9a0664e041a9142c0e5d59d4546eef28.jpg

20171002_233557.thumb.jpg.dabbb5f4dcf90566a97e84e54cc9e4d2.jpg

20171002_233601.thumb.jpg.08f70036f804b71f97bf19c65fa215b9.jpg

Another piece of advice: find garage sales in your area and look at everything on display. You may find switches from old radios, jointed arms from old lamps, maybe a piece of furniture you'd like to build a system in, who knows. Also, and perhaps more importantly, it's cheap. You don't need a lot of money to do some really cool stuff.

Hope that helped.

6 hours ago, markr54632 said:

Metal is so time consuming to work by hand power tools are a necessity.

The only power tool I used for my tool box build was a power drill. I know I didn't actually have to cut the shape out of sheet metal and bend it, but I did make around 30 cuts in the steel body. Actually, the motherboard tray was made from scratch by cutting and bending steel from an old case side panel. Really, you can work with (almost) any material if you have time and patience.

4 hours ago, InertiaSelling said:

@Cool_BoyD^-^ I don't think I have "the expertise", but I did make a custom case out of a metal tool box (in my signature). Not completely from scratch, but it sure qualifies as "custom". Also, I've drawn a ton of custom cases, though I have yet to actually build them. Anyway, the tools you'll need will obviously depend on what you actually choose to do, but I'd recommend getting a power drill, a screwdriver with a ton of different heads/bits, a saw, a file, some pliers, bolts, and nuts. These are the basics.

When designing a PC case, the main things you have to consider are the mounting points for your components, and the airflow. Mounting fans or PSUs is pretty straightforward, as you'll mostly need to drill a few holes for the mounting screws and cut an opening for the air/cables. However, you'll have to consider some kind of padding and rubber mounts if you care about noise and vibrations. The trickiest part is the motherboard, since a misalignment of one millimeter can prevent you from securing it in place. I'd recommend either taking the tray and the mount for the expansion cards from an old system, or using bolts and nuts, which is much more flexible than drilling holes and putting standoffs in them. Whatever you do, don't forget that you need a power button somewhere. You'll need a momentary (changes the circuit state only while being pressed down) NO (open when it's not being pressed) switch and some wires. You don't need a soldering iron, twisting the end of the wires works fine, but you should consider salvaging some plastic heads from actual connectors so that it can be plugged and removed from your motherboard headers with ease.

As I said, I've only ever built one custom case, but I'd say what matters the most is how well you've planned your custom build. Make drawings, renders, paper models, whatever, but just don't rush it or assume you're going to figure out anything while building. If you realise something is not going to work during the build, take a step back and plan again. Otherwise, you'll make mistakes: most of the time, when something's cut or drilled, you won't be able to repair it. Here are some pictures of my current project, as an example.

Reveal hidden contents

20171002_233550.thumb.jpg.9a0664e041a9142c0e5d59d4546eef28.jpg

20171002_233557.thumb.jpg.dabbb5f4dcf90566a97e84e54cc9e4d2.jpg

20171002_233601.thumb.jpg.08f70036f804b71f97bf19c65fa215b9.jpg

Another piece of advice: find garage sales in your area and look at everything on display. You may find switches from old radios, jointed arms from old lamps, maybe a piece of furniture you'd like to build a system in, who knows. Also, and perhaps more importantly, it's cheap. You don't need a lot of money to do some really cool stuff.

Hope that helped.

The only power tool I used for my tool box build was a power drill. I know I didn't actually have to cut the shape out of sheet metal and bend it, but I did make around 30 cuts in the steel body. Actually, the motherboard tray was made from scratch by cutting and bending steel from an old case side panel. Really, you can work with (almost) any material if you have time and patience.

Wow... Thanks for this great advice... It really helped a lot... Actually this my 1st ever desktop pc and worked very hard to buy the stuff, so I want to make it like my own... But again thank you for the great advice...