Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tech Wizard

Which CPU gen (Intel) was last soldered?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm curious if my Ivy Bridge-E, 22nm (4930K) is soldered or not. Which generation was the last to be soldered, and did they start using cheap paste/TIM for every single generation after?


Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

 

HWBOT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Broadwell-E/Haswell-E (HEDT)

Sandy Bridge (Mainstream)


CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

 

Mice: Logitech G Pro Wireless (main), Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Broadwell-E/Haswell-E (HEDT)

Sandy Bridge (Mainstream)

I'm really bad with CPU gens, but let me get this straight. By your definition, the:
i5 2500k & 5930K are soldered, while an i7 2600K, 4790K and my 4930K is not?

 


Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

 

HWBOT

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

I'm curious if my Ivy Bridge-E, 22nm (4930K) is soldered or not. Which generation was the last to be soldered, and did they start using cheap paste/TIM for every single generation after?

Mainstream Ivy Bridge was when they switched over to thermal paste. Ivy Bridge-E has solder underneath the heatspreader. 

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-ivy-bridge-e-has-solder-under-its-ihs.html


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tech Wizard said:

I'm really bad with CPU gens, but let me get this straight. By your definition, the:
i5 2500k & 5930K are soldered, while an i7 2600K, 4790K and my 4930K is not?

Sandy Bridge CPUs used solder.


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tech Wizard said:

I'm really bad with CPU gens, but let me get this straight. By your definition, the:
i5 2500k & 5930K are soldered, while an i7 2600K, 4790K and my 4930K is not?

Nope, 2nd generation i3s, i5s and i7s (LGA 1155) are soldered. All LGA 2011 (3820, 3930K, 3960X, 3970X, 4820K, 4930K, 4960X and Xeons) and LGA 2011-3 (5820K, 5930K, 5960X, 6800K, 6850K, 6950X and Xeons) CPUs are soldered ;)


CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

 

Mice: Logitech G Pro Wireless (main), Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Sandy Bridge CPUs used solder.

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Nope, 2nd generation i3s, i5s and i7s (LGA 1155) are soldered. All LGA 2011 (3820, 3930K, 3960X, 3970X, 4820K, 4930K, 4960X and Xeons) and LGA 2011-3 (5820K, 5930K, 5960X, 6800K, 6850K, 6950X and Xeons) CPUs are soldered ;)

Thank you very much to both of you. I got what I needed :)


Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

 

HWBOT

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Actually, one more question to both of you @PCGuy_5960 @Godlygamer23: Has the Paste/TIM become worse over time/generations? If you compare for example similar quad cores with same TDPs, let's say a 4790K, 6700K, and 7700K. Is there any change in quality of the paste? How come for example it is way more difficult taming a 7700K over a 6700K (temp wise)?


Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

 

HWBOT

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Actually, one more question to both of you @PCGuy_5960 @Godlygamer23: Has the Paste/TIM become worse over time/generations? If you compare for example similar quad cores with same TDPs, let's say a 4790K, 6700K, and 7700K. Is there any change in quality of the paste? How come for example it is way more difficult taming a 7700K over a 6700K (temp wise)?

The TIM hasn't really changed, but Intel keeps changing the IHS design and/or their application method, so the TIM sometimes performs worse than it should (7700K)


CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

 

Mice: Logitech G Pro Wireless (main), Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The TIM hasn't really changed, but Intel keeps changing the IHS design and/or their application method, so the TIM sometimes performs worse than it should (7700K)

I see. So every non-soldered CPU was actually tameable with a lower end coolers before Kaby Lake. Hmm... Interesting


Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

 

HWBOT

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@PCGuy_5960 I'm curious to see if Coffee Lake's IHS design/application method will be like Kaby Lake or the older gens. Want to sell my X79 system soon :P


Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

 

HWBOT

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

@PCGuy_5960 I'm curious to see if Coffee Lake's IHS design/application method will be like Kaby Lake or the older gens. Want to sell my X79 system soon :P

Adding two more cores and a slightly better iGPU will mean Covfefe lake will have a bigger die than Krapy Lake.  I have lots of info of what CPUs where idium soldered and what ones where not. On the older platforms, like LGA 775, generally Celeron processors where never soldered. Most of the chips with small dies where not either. Intel has always used TIM on the lower end chips, and recently on all of them, much to the dismay of it's customers. 


Yours faithfully

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@PCGuy_5960 Btw, delidding a soldered CPU and replacing with LM will lower temps theoretically, correct? Just that it's more risky to delid a soldered CPU?

Came across a video from
der8auer delidding one of the soldered CPUs in your list above (5960X), and getting 7° degrees celsius cooler.


Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

 

HWBOT

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Also, maybe going slightly off topic here, but does any of you know if Ryzen 2 will be soldered like its little brother? Am I asking for early unknown information? :P @Lord Nicoll @PCGuy_5960 @Godlygamer23


Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

 

HWBOT

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Also, maybe going slightly off topic here, but does any of you know if Ryzen 2 will be soldered like its little brother? Am I asking for early unknown information? :P @Lord Nicoll @PCGuy_5960 @Godlygamer23

I don't know if we have much information on Ryzen 2 yet.


"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tech Wizard said:

Also, maybe going slightly off topic here, but does any of you know if Ryzen 2 will be soldered like its little brother? Am I asking for early unknown information? :P @Lord Nicoll @PCGuy_5960 @Godlygamer23

All we really know is that Zen2 is a die shrink/refinement of current Zen. But it seems probable that AMD will continue soldering the IHS.


I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tech Wizard said:

Also, maybe going slightly off topic here, but does any of you know if Ryzen 2 will be soldered like its little brother? Am I asking for early unknown information? :P @Lord Nicoll @PCGuy_5960 @Godlygamer23

given how proud and gloaty AMD is about the soldering that they do, and how intel does not, I doubt they'll use TIM, maybe on the cheapest models.


Yours faithfully

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tech Wizard said:

@PCGuy_5960 Btw, delidding a soldered CPU and replacing with LM will lower temps theoretically, correct? Just that it's more risky to delid a soldered CPU?

Came across a video from
der8auer delidding one of the soldered CPUs in your list above (5960X), and getting 7° degrees celsius cooler.

I've delidded loads of indium metal CPUs, Liquid metal isn't really that much better, it's just the gap is smaller usually as the die is held closer. Running with no IHS and liquid metal was a massive improvement but modern waterblocks aren't meant to be used without IHS's, however they themselves act as an IHS


Yours faithfully

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×