Hot Temperatures Possible Airflow problem

Guljaeden

Hey guys long time watcher of LTT.

Just recently built my new rig and decided to go with ITX. I know that alone causes some issues with heat due to the smallness of the case. I went with this setup below and my card hits 80-82 depending on what i set EVGA to allow it. Problem is it hits that with some serious noise issues. Nothing noticeable with a headset, but if i ever wanna use speakers and chill it causes a problem. My CPU hovers around 65-75 on a decent load. My cooler is the H100i.

My question is would it be better off changing it version 2? Or leaving it as is. I plan on ordering some fans here in the next week Noctua's to replace the corsair ones. Really i'm just confused on how to manage air flow. I've always done mid size builds and my first ITX build is hot.

Im not sure wether the back 120/140 needs to push air out or pull in. I don't have a fancy smoke machine to figure out my air flow so im just guessing. I know noctua's are quiet and thats great but if there are better fans hit me up!

PC Part list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/labelbuddy/saved/nKsCJx

59c72a5c66ef2_CurrentSetup.jpg.257bc576f2f5d029b4030aae58c4fcd5.jpgNext.jpg.8bd44b3589edfd0a6c8808ef61d6ecd3.jpg

Your rear fan needs to be set as an exhaust. Right how the opposing flows are causing the airs to sorta swirl in the case.

Also that PSU is absolute garbage and I would suggest you forgo buying new fans and replace that firestarter

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Yeah, i only put it as intake off the advice of another topic here from a few years ago.

Do you think it would be better to move the RAD to the front with static fans? and the Air flow fans on rear and top to pull air out?

23 minutes ago, Guljaeden said:

Yeah, i only put it as intake off the advice of another topic here from a few years ago.

Do you think it would be better to move the RAD to the front with static fans? and the Air flow fans on rear and top to pull air out?

ur rear fan can stay as intake but then u should make ur front fans into exhaust (  i personally use that )

(◑‿◐)

38 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

ur rear fan can stay as intake but then u should make ur front fans into exhaust (  i personally use that )

What are your top fans then? More intakes?

3 hours ago, Guljaeden said:

changing the rear fan to exhaust won't matter that much in your current setup. 

you can improve this setup by moving the Radiator to the front of the case this way you will get better CPU temps and the GPU won't be affected by it.

allot of people think having a front rad will cause you overheating problems but this is not true at all. 

check out youtube channels like JayzTwoCents and Bitwit they have some great videos on this topic.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

GPu fans are intaking kind. Not exhausts. Air is being exhausted from all other sides.

I would say going for 2x140mm intake at front will help with GPU temps. CPU... If you are running it with stock clocks, lower voltage and you get better temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

GPu fans are intaking kind. Not exhausts. Air is being exhausted from all other sides.

I would say going for 2x140mm intake at front will help with GPU temps. CPU... If you are running it with stock clocks, lower voltage and you get better temps.

in his case a open style cooler on the GPU will out put way more heat than the CPU will.

his GPU outputs 80-82C like OP said, that hot air will be pushed inside the case and has to go through that radiator aka that has a big effect on CPU temps.

a front mounted Radiator will not output that much heat inside the case compared to a open style GPU cooler.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

23 minutes ago, wildthing said:

in his case a open style cooler on the GPU will out put way more heat than the CPU will.

his GPU outputs 80-82C like OP said, that hot air will be pushed inside the case and has to go through that radiator aka that has a big effect on CPU temps.

a front mounted Radiator will not output that much heat inside the case compared to a open style GPU cooler.

Don't know about rads. But 200mm intake is rather weak compared to 2x120/140mm.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah CPU temp's aren't really my concern. They are within normal range. Just looking for a way to get GPU Cooler. I agree mounting the RAD on the front to bring in cool air might be better for temps. Also not having to push hot air through a rad and making back and top fans push out hot air might help.

Bitwit had a great video on blower vs reg cooler on ITX and i was gonna get a blower card but a 1080 FTW for 460$ at todays prices was to good to pass up.