Not getting internet speeds advertised.

Ryois
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
1 minute ago, Ryois said:

I only see Internet > then all it shows is Modem, if I look at a bill it says Spectrum Internet, if I look online it is basically a web version of the paper bill. 

hmmmm, then you will likely need to call. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

The Link you provide said gateway. Gateways = modem/router combos, also said it did wireless N. Which also indicates its a modem/router. 

From the website: 

Overview

The Touchstone TG862 family of products are DOCSIS3.0 and EuroDOCSIS home telephony gateways supporting 8 x 4 channel bonding for up to 320Mbps of broadband data.  It combines two FXS ports of carrier-grade VoIP, a 4-port gigabit router and a 2.4GHz 802.11n wireless access point with battery back-up options in a single integrated device.

The TG862 serves as the hub of service delivery in the subscriber’s home providing high-speed data, voice and IP video to wired and wireless connected devices.

• Allows custom designed setups to be applied to monitor the end user more efficiently with multiple provisioning methods (SNMP, configuration file, remote web GUI access, TFTP, and TR-069)
  • Flexibility of configuration and control with multiple local and remote access levels (user, admin, etc.)

I never said I owned TG862

The link you provided was to TG862 which made us assume thats what you had. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

The link you provided was to TG862 which made us assume thats what you had. 

Could you quote the reply? NEVERMIND

1 hour ago, Ryois said:

and http://www.arris.com/products/touchstone-telephony-gateway-tg862/ for the modem it came from the cable company.

This one. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

This one. 

I just googled the DOCSIS 3.0 not the spefic model num lol

Just now, Ryois said:

I just googled the DOCSIS 3.0 not the spefic model num lol

Yea, its a huge difference. TM stands for Telephone Modem while TG stands for Telephone Gateway. If it has Gateway in there, that means its a wifi capable modem. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, legacy99 said:

Yea, its a huge difference. TM stands for Telephone Modem while TG stands for Telephone Gateway. If it has Gateway in there, that means its a wifi capable modem. 

If it had a gateway I would not use it...

Just out of curiosity, when you visit 192.168.100.1, at the bottom it will show your connected link speeds and should read 1000(full) like this. Can you verify it shows that on yours?

40327b8db1fefb03965964cf34341d95.png

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, legacy99 said:

Just out of curiosity, when you visit 192.168.100.1, at the bottom it will show your connected link speeds and should read 1000(full) like this. Can you verify it shows that on yours?

40327b8db1fefb03965964cf34341d95.png

Yes it says that

LAN Enabled Up 1000(Full)

Just now, Ryois said:

Yes it says that

LAN Enabled Up 1000(Full)

Alright, excellent. So then our next step is the previously planned one you will be performing tomorrow with plugging directly into the modem itself and testing that way. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, legacy99 said:

Alright, excellent. So then our next step is the previously planned one you will be performing tomorrow with plugging directly into the modem itself and testing that way. 

Would I have the modem turned off and or laptop off then plug in or should DHCP auto assign an ip?

17 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast has excellent support.

Well, that's it.  I'm officially in an alternate universe.  

Just now, Ryois said:

Would I have the modem turned off and or laptop off then plug in or should DHCP auto assign an ip?

should just have to unplug the ethernet from the router to the Modem and plug in the modem directly to your laptop. If you dont get a proper public IP address, which you can confirm in the command prompt with "ipconfig" then you can do these following commands:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

This should allow you to pull an IP address if you dont automatically. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Ryois said:

The modem should have a small DHCP pool that it will use to assign an IP to your laptop.  You might have to do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew on your laptop, but it should give you something.  

1 minute ago, Ringthane said:

For customer owned modems. Not for anything else. While Charter allows you to buy a modem and use it. They dont have a list, they have not tested any for customer owned and they dont provide firmware updates. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

should just have to unplug the ethernet from the router to the Modem and plug in the modem directly to your laptop. If you dont get a proper public IP address, which you can confirm in the command prompt with "ipconfig" then you can do these following commands:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

This should allow you to pull an IP address if you dont automatically. 

Just now, Ringthane said:

The modem should have a small DHCP pool that it will use to assign an IP to your laptop.  You might have to do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew on your laptop, but it should give you something.  

And this should be a v4 like my current external ip?

Just now, Ryois said:

And this should be a v4 like my current external ip?

correct. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

correct. 

Then run Speedtest like normal?

9 minutes ago, Ryois said:

Then run Speedtest like normal?

correct. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

8 hours ago, legacy99 said:

correct. 

@legacy99 speeds coming directly from modem...

image.png

and heres normal wifi
image.png.c57bd4ee141735a5b1221c8d1ef6916e.png

9 hours ago, Ringthane said:

My friend was gonna get Comcast but they never scheduled an appointment nor have they answered the phone soo....

9 hours ago, Ryois said:

@legacy99 speeds coming directly from modem...

image.png

and heres normal wifi
image.png.c57bd4ee141735a5b1221c8d1ef6916e.png

hmmmmmmm, alright. So I think at this point, you should contact Charter/Spectrum and question them. They will need you to be hooked up directly to the modem with your device if any testing needs to be done. At this point though it seems likely they have put you on the wrong package for internet speeds. 

Thoughts: Reason I think this is that you are getting consistently 30 Mbps down and your not ever leaving from that. If you were fluctuating a wide deal, that would lead me to believe an upstream SNR issue probably, but your speeds are always consistent with what you are getting. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

37 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

hmmmmmmm, alright. So I think at this point, you should contact Charter/Spectrum and question them. They will need you to be hooked up directly to the modem with your device if any testing needs to be done. At this point though it seems likely they have put you on the wrong package for internet speeds. 

Thoughts: Reason I think this is that you are getting consistently 30 Mbps down and your not ever leaving from that. If you were fluctuating a wide deal, that would lead me to believe an upstream SNR issue probably, but your speeds are always consistent with what you are getting. 

I tried to look up my package via their website but it looks like I have to call customer support.

20 hours ago, Ryois said:

Downstream SNR is above 37 dB power varies from highest 0.20 and lowest -2.40 highest upstream is 42dB and lowest is 39dB

42 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

my SNR and stuff are the same but I have more, downstream channels, after rebooting the router and modem

EDIT: Had 16 downstream channels now I have 24... same amount of upstream channels.