Not getting internet speeds advertised.

Ryois
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
1 minute ago, Ryois said:

I only see Internet > then all it shows is Modem, if I look at a bill it says Spectrum Internet, if I look online it is basically a web version of the paper bill. 

hmmmm, then you will likely need to call. 

Just now, TheKDub said:

300MB/s or 300Mb/s?

(b = bit, B = byte. 8 bits = 1 Byte)

Mb I accidently hold shift sometimes and I know the difference from MB and Mb, 

12+ DEVICES AT A TIME

250 To 350Mbps

so what happens when you plug your laptop directly into the modem instead of your home network?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

so what happens when you plug your laptop directly into the modem instead of your home network?

Sometimes it gets assigned a IP address sometime it dosen't I don't have a speedtest with it but our router should not be a bottleneck 

1 minute ago, Ryois said:

Sometimes it gets assigned a IP address sometime it dosen't I don't have a speedtest with it but our router should not be a bottleneck 

shouldnt no, but I work as an engineer for ISP's (Not Charter/Spectrum) and this is a step we use to troubleshoot. If you get perfect speeds straight to the modem, then there is something at fault in either the router physically, cabling, or something wrong in the settings or maybe needs a firmware update. Also, do other computers have the same results as your laptop?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

shouldnt no, but I work as an engineer for ISP's (Not Charter/Spectrum) and this is a step we use to troubleshoot. If you get perfect speeds straight to the modem, then there is something at fault in either the router physically, cabling, or something wrong in the settings or maybe needs a firmware update. Also, do other computers have the same results as your laptop?

yes, on several iPad Air 2, on the newer "iPad", a Core i5 desktop via gigabit ethernet, raspberry pis, banapi m3, S7s, and friends devices.

But my laptop is the best PC in the house.

Alright, so you have to put yourself in the ISP's shoes and think this way, Do they provide you the router and the connectivity through the router? They most likely do not so there for you need to test directly to the equipment they provide, in this case the modem. Take your laptop and hook up to the modem directly and test it.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

41 minutes ago, Ryois said:

I download a ton of OSes and has downloaded 300GB+ this past month. I do not use a cell phone unless im out, I do youtube and upload several gigabytes per video, and do a lot of remote desktop.

Do they have caps? Because if they are capping you without stating a cap they can get in to trouble with the Government. Ask Comcast. My family used over 700 Gigs in one month and you dont see Comcast slowing speeds down. They just charge extra when you go over 1 TB. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Do they have caps? Because if they are capping you without stating a cap they can get in to trouble with the Government. Ask Comcast. My family used over 700 Gigs in one month and you dont see Comcast slowing speeds down. They just charge extra when you go over 1 TB. 

Charter does not have data caps. its part of the FCC deal to allow them to buy TW that they couldnt impose any data caps for 7 years. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

9 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Charter does not have data caps. its part of the FCC deal to allow them to buy TW that they couldnt impose any data caps for 7 years. 

That was the Obama FCC, not the Trump FCC, they are trying to change the rules now. They will be able to. Because the current administration doesn't give two fucks about any of us. 

38 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Alright, so you have to put yourself in the ISP's shoes and think this way, Do they provide you the router and the connectivity through the router? They most likely do not so there for you need to test directly to the equipment they provide, in this case the modem. Take your laptop and hook up to the modem directly and test it.

I cannot do this rn but I will do it tomorrow before checking w/ charter

Just now, Ryois said:

I cannot do this rn but I will do it tomorrow before checking w/ charter

Sounds good. Let us know the results and I can give you tips/ideas on what to do based on the results. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

40 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Most if not all ISP's provide a modem/router combo. Thats standard practice. Also Charter has shit support when it comes to customer owned equipment. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

That was the Obama FCC, not the Trump FCC, they are trying to change the rules now. They will be able to. Because the current administration doesn't give two fucks about any of us. 

Legit, but its still in place right now as nothing really has changed on this front yet. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

11 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

AT&T imposes a 1Tb cap per mo Xfinity has a 1Tb cap per mo but Charter has unlimited data rightnow

Just now, Donut417 said:

Most if not all ISP's provide a modem/router combo. Thats standard practice. Also Charter has shit support when it comes to customer owned equipment. 

Any ISP will have shit support for customer owned equipment. For one reason and one reason only, They did not provide it so they are not obligated to help the customer with their own equipment. We do the same thing on our side for customer owned equipment. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

We do not use a router provided we always purchase a Netgear router our selves it is more cost effective 

Just now, Ryois said:

AT&T imposes a 1Tb cap per mo Xfinity has a 1Tb cap per mo but Charter has unlimited data rightnow

Yep, I live in the U.P. of Michigan and have Charter myself. I personally have zero issues with the service unless there is a fiber cut upstream causing congestion on their network before it leaves them in Eau Claire Wisconsin. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Yep, I live in the U.P. of Michigan and have Charter myself. I personally have zero issues with the service unless there is a fiber cut upstream causing congestion on their network before it leaves them in Eau Claire Wisconsin. 

We rarely have outages and our only problem right now is our speeds

Just now, Ryois said:

We rarely have outages and our only problem right now is our speeds

Yea, its a very strange thing thats showing up. I am more than willing to provide my knowledge and help you out in troubleshooting this and try and pin down where the problem is and to help come up with a solution. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Any ISP will have shit support for customer owned equipmen

Comcast has excellent support. They provide a list of compatible customer owned modems that they have tested. They provide Firmware updates (Which I know charter does not). They also make it easy to provision customer owned modems. Never had any issues with Comcast when it comes to my customer owned modem. They have never bitched about us having it or anything. 

3 minutes ago, Ryois said:

We do not use a router provided we always purchase a Netgear router our selves it is more cost effective 

Charter provided you a gateway device. Its a modem/router combo. Unless its im bridged mode, then its acting like a router. So technically they provided you with a router and a modem. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Comcast has excellent support. They provide a list of compatible customer owned modems that they have tested. They provide Firmware updates (Which I know charter does not). They also make it easy to provision customer owned modems. Never had any issues with Comcast when it comes to my customer owned modem. They have never bitched about us having it or anything. 

Charter provided you a gateway device. Its a modem/router combo. Unless its im bridged mode, then its acting like a router. So technically they provided you with a router and a modem. 

I have went through out our setup and it goes like this: 

Cable > Spliter| TV/Phone/Internet > Modem it’s only a modem , cable in Ethernet out and a random i/o > then R700 

Just now, Ryois said:

Cable > Spliter| TV/Phone/Internet > Modem it’s only a modem , cable in Ethernet out and a random i/o > then R700 

The modem is a wifi gateway modem. TG862 is a wifi router modem. Getting you instructions right now on how to verify it is in bridged mode. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Ryois said:

The Link you provide said gateway. Gateways = modem/router combos, also said it did wireless N. Which also indicates its a modem/router. 

From the website: 

Overview

The Touchstone TG862 family of products are DOCSIS3.0 and EuroDOCSIS home telephony gateways supporting 8 x 4 channel bonding for up to 320Mbps of broadband data.  It combines two FXS ports of carrier-grade VoIP, a 4-port gigabit router and a 2.4GHz 802.11n wireless access point with battery back-up options in a single integrated device.

The TG862 serves as the hub of service delivery in the subscriber’s home providing high-speed data, voice and IP video to wired and wireless connected devices.

• Allows custom designed setups to be applied to monitor the end user more efficiently with multiple provisioning methods (SNMP, configuration file, remote web GUI access, TFTP, and TR-069)
  • Flexibility of configuration and control with multiple local and remote access levels (user, admin, etc.)

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

The modem is a wifi gateway modem. TG862 is a wifi router modem. Getting you instructions right now on how to verify it is in bridged mode. 

System: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PC 1.5 Touchstone Telephony Modem
HW_REV: 1
VENDOR: ARRIS Group, Inc.
BOOTR: 2.2.0.45
SW_REV: 9.1.103J4
MODEL: TM1602AP2

ok, so you have a TM, which is a standard modem. NOT a TG862 you linked previously. This is actually the exact same modem I have. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig